Great Speakers! Great Price!

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
Re: Great Speakers! Great Price!
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2007, 02:05 pm »

Thanks Dannny:

:scratch:  But if the response stayed the same what is Dayglow hearing with the mid crossover change?

Rocket_Ronny

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 26 Oct 2007, 03:37 pm »
Just because two speakers have the same response does not mean they sound the same.

In this case there are fewer components in the direct signal path.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #22 on: 26 Oct 2007, 03:39 pm »
Ronny,

The original prototype OB 5's and OB 7's had open sides, but still retained a back baffle, and top to the speaker box.

With the back and top on the original OB 5 and OB 7, there was a bump in the response that Danny had to address. He had to put in a notch filter (IIRC).

With the totally open versions, the notch filter wasn't needed, and the original network was causing a dip in the response, which caused a slight loss of body and fullness in the midrange.

With the new network for the open top version, Danny's restored the response so that the two versions measure the same.

That's why I highly recommended you do the new network. Your OB 5's have the network from the original prototype design, and therefore have a small dip in the response in the lower mids. Trust me, it's really worth it.  :P

Cheers
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2007, 04:00 pm by Daygloworange »

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #23 on: 26 Oct 2007, 04:38 pm »

Thanks guys.

Day:

Oh I trust you. I just could not understand the sound improvement if the frequency response did not change. Ah, but fewer parts in the signal path answers the question. Looks like just another thing to add to my to-do list.

Rocket_Ronny

mas

A day late and a dollar short....
« Reply #24 on: 29 Oct 2007, 12:52 am »
Damn! I just wired up one of the crossovers today for my OB-5 project.  I'm building the simplified cabinet so I'll drop Danny a line to see what the damage is.

I agree the $950 price is really good. The figured Makore has beautiful color.  I'm not too impressed with the enclosures though - lots of cracking in the veneer.  If I wanted that  I would do it myself, hehehe. Also, I think the cable management is not too good. I'll post some pictures later on my progress.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #25 on: 1 Nov 2007, 07:07 am »
I may just have to check these out...with checkbook and 2 mono integrateds (they don't weigh but 10 lbs each - likely less) in hand....  :inlove:

The owner wrote me back tonite...haven't read it yet...

Thanks all, John  :thumb:

So John, did you get a chance to hear them and if so, what did you think? 

John

TheChairGuy

« Reply #26 on: 1 Nov 2007, 08:06 am »
I told Idandha/Raj, the owner, that I was a week+ away from getting my 10 watt mono's back and I wasn't sure if 10 watts would adequately drive them, after all.

As it turns out, the refurbed mono's came back yesterday, still need some breakin time, but I'm still not certain it will drive the OB-5's adequately.

Subjectively, they somehow drive my old Linaems more forcefully than my 50 watt tube monoblocks (with better tone - good gawd, these ugly 6V6's just sound amazing 8))...bit I think it relative gain differences are the reason  :roll:

JohnII

Wind Chaser

« Reply #27 on: 1 Nov 2007, 09:27 am »
TCG,

I could easily get away with 10 watts as I prefer very moderate listening levels.  10 watts should be enough to get pretty good volume unless you really like it LOUD!  The #1 concern with these speakers is having adequate room for them to breath, ie: at least 4' away from the walls - 5' or more is preferable. 

As for how good / revealing they are, they make virtually everything including Quads, Maggies (you name it) sound mediocre.  Yeah, they are that good!!!

John.