Plitron Balanced Power Transformers

John Casler

« Reply #20 on: 12 Sep 2003, 01:44 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
John,

Isn't a 20Amp BP1 a BP2.5?

Hi Josh,

Actually I mistyped 20 amps.  I had earlier ordered a 20 AMP CPC and was thinking of it, since it also had the Bybee's

But yes the first 20 amp model is the BP-2.5.

John Casler

« Reply #21 on: 12 Sep 2003, 02:01 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
John:

Have you tried these on power amps?  I have a Plinius 8200i MkII, and I wonder if this would be okay to put on there.

Thx,

B

Hi Hantra,

I haven't personally yet, since mine should arrive at the end of next week, but the main reason I picked up the line was to have the "balanced power" for my power amp, preamp and CDP.

Strangely enough I am sensitive to the differences I hear to my electrical power at different times of the day. (early morning, during the day, after 7:00, and Late at night) :?

My system sounds and performs differently at these various times, due to the "interferance and drain" on the local power grid at those times.

When the grid has it's greatest drain, charge back and RFI, from local industry and all the offices and businesses, using their lights, computers, and machinery, it really affects the quality of sound. :evil:

Obviously, it sounds the best  :D "Late at Nite", and the worst  :( "During the Day"

As a dealer, the time when most clients drop by is the time the system sounds the worst (even then it still sounds good, but I would like to have it at its best --ALL THE TIME)

The Isolators and Balanced Transformers, should make these differences less perceptable, if at all, and assist in this goal.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #22 on: 12 Sep 2003, 03:00 pm »
Quote from: Psychicanimal
This all sounds very interesting.  There is one crucial element missing here: specifications.  What are the noise reduction specs vs frequency? :?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #23 on: 12 Sep 2003, 04:25 pm »
Quote from: Hantra
John:

Have you tried these on power amps?  I have a Plinius 8200i MkII, and I wonder if this would be okay to put on there.

Thx,

B
                          I have both of my Butler 3150`s plugged into my BP2.5 with no obvious problems other than the fact that I don`t hear any ground noise. :lol: Being that the BP2.5 is rated at 20a, Chris Hoff said that so long as the ciruitbreaker didn`t pop, his Plitron transformer would handle anything I threw at it without limiting the Butler`s dynamics. Regards, Robin

John Casler

« Reply #24 on: 12 Sep 2003, 06:11 pm »
This all sounds very interesting.  There is one crucial element missing here: specifications.  What are the noise reduction specs vs frequency? :?

Hey Psychic A,

I haven't seen any published specs of that type.  There may be some on the BPT site, but I haven't seen them.

randytsuch

« Reply #25 on: 12 Sep 2003, 07:26 pm »
Hi guys,
Here is my thought.  The BPT's are more than just a transformer, he also adds filtering after the transformer.

But, if you buy the CPC from BPT, and then hook it up to a Plitron transformer, than I wonder if you could get the close to the performance of a full BPT for less money.  $250 for transformer plus $300 for a 15A CPC plus maybe $50 for other parts you would need.  Little more than 1/2 the price of a BPT 2.

I would not try unless you know what you are doing, this is 115VAC you are messing with, but for a DIYer might be a good setup for the money.

BTW, I use a Topaz ultra isolator transformer I bought from Ebay, and rewired for balanced power.  Might give the Plitron a shot though, have to decide if I want to spend $250 on it.

Randy

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
Boxes and shielding for transformer
« Reply #26 on: 12 Sep 2003, 08:00 pm »
www.par-metal.com sells nice aluminum chassis/boxes of all sizes pretty reasonably.  Alot of manufacturers use these guys, and I have heard nothing but good things about them.  Oh yeah, they make a shielded chassis too.

I am in no way affiliated with these guys.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #27 on: 13 Sep 2003, 03:25 am »
Quote from: John Casler

Hey Psychic A,

I haven't seen any published specs of that type.  There may be some on the BPT site, but I haven't seen them.

Specs are important, more especially so in this particular case.  If the noise reduction specs are not outstanding, the possible loss of musical definition due to vibration could offset any gains in noise reduction.  The transformers in my T4 filters are specially mounted with a plastic rod that goes through all four and leaves them hanging in the air.  Each mounting rod squeezes against the orange block with leather straps that act as bushings The white blocks are damped with special rubber grommets to the chassis.  I have been able to gain more definition and soundstaging by using Goldmund cones and non resonant Caribbean Moca wood.  The entire chassis is copper plated.  Even the screws bolting the EMI modules are copper.  In the first T4 I got some of the grommets were compressed and I added brass washers to fill the space and prevent movement.  The sound improved by becoming clearer and more focused.

A half ass mounting job in a metal case may end up smearing the musical information in your system.  Just ask Chuck Josephson. :wink:

John Casler

« Reply #28 on: 13 Sep 2003, 03:58 am »
You forgot to post the "specs"  :o on that beauty

Psychicanimal

« Reply #29 on: 13 Sep 2003, 04:52 am »
John,

I have three Clear Image T4 filters--all purchased used from eBay.  No manual, no specs and they're not made anymore.  However, performance wise it makes my 27" Sony WEGA look spooky and my Tice A/V Solo looked like a Fisher Price toy.   Just by looking at it you can tell it will spec good!  Filters, transformers, mounting harness and chassis are custom.  It also incorporates balanced filtration, having EMI modules for both hot and neutral.

That is a picture of Lak's special edition T4.  It features an integrated powercord, even better switches (the stock T4 has aircraft grade to begin with!) and wiring plus AudioPrism's ACFX filter (upper left corner).  I let Lak use one of my T4's for a few months and he says the special edition is some 10-15% better.

The purpose of showing and explaining the T4's transformer mounting scheme is to give you guys an example on how it's done professionally--and even still there is loss of definition due to the transformers' vibrations (I forgot to mention the top cover is factory lined with something similar to Dynamat Extreme, only thicker).  In an ultra high resolution system  this T4 would not make the cut.  Albert Porter of Audiogon has a $180K system and he told me he only uses his T4 for his Sony CDP, satellite receiver and surround decoder.  No analog applications at all and no filtration for the transformers of his Sound Lab electrostatics.

Monolith

« Reply #30 on: 14 Sep 2003, 07:16 am »
Additional pricing information from Plitron website:

Part Number - 8575-X0-02

Power (W) - 2000

Weight (kg) - 12.6kg

1-4:     $298.52  ($250 is a limited time special price for less than 5 units)
5-9:     $234.44
10-24:  $204.42
25-49:  $170.35
50-99:  $149.26

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #31 on: 14 Sep 2003, 07:27 am »
Expect up to 70db noise retention between 10khz/30mhz using BPT`s high current filter with the Plitron NoLo transformer, which Chris Hoff has made up especially for himself. Don`t expect these Plitrons to be of the same performance standards as BPT`s balanced power conditioners. As with anything, you get what you pay for and that includes a whole lot with BPT w/all upgrades inc. Regards, Robin