Emerald Physics CS2 Amplification Options from Response Audio

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Good evening AC,
 As some of you have read on other Emerald Physics threads, Response Audio is bringing in these speakers to develop a few amplification options. I was going to start doing something next month but this weekend has brought about a few changes of plans so I will be getting on this right away.

What we are doing is custom building stereo tube amplifiers to best match these speakers with the first venture being based on our Bella EXtreme 3205 products (BE3205). We will be making available both the Signature and Platinum MK II versions with discounts available for packages.

These units will differ slightly from our regular production versions as we will be concentrating on the absolute best integration with the CS2 loudspeaker. Our primary goal will obviously be an absolute black background / lowest possible noise floor (not that I don't strive for that anyway) as well as a seductive, smooth presentation for the high frequency amplifier and dynamic control in the low frequency amplifier.

We will also be running the CS2 with with two pair of our Bella EXtreme 100 mono bloc amplifiers with the bass amps running in pentode for 100 watts and the high frequency amp running in triode at 60 watts. We will also of course try out combination of the BE100's with the BE3205's.

I realise the BE100's are pricey amplifiers to be paired up with a $3K speaker but if the end result is sonic nirvana, I will just have to build an additional pair to keep permanently running the CS2  :drool:

I have started a webpage that has not yet been published as it is not yet complete but I will let the AC crew grab the first glances. There are some more options that are not yet mentioned on this page such as gain controls installed and the fact that we are going with real wood face plates as a standard (shown in poor quality picture below).

Here is the link.

http://www.bellaextreme.com/emerald_physics_cs2.htm

« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2007, 07:54 pm by Response Audio »

pbrstreetgang

Re: Emerald Physics Amplification Options from Response Audio
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2007, 01:03 am »
I am glad you are doing this but is there a way that you could offer a "sound" only option without the new chassis or any other high cost options? I hear good things about your products but you lose a lot of people when it starts getting into ARC, Mac, VAC, cary Ranges. How bout a musicphile option- or heck just call it the cheap guy option

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2007, 01:15 am »
Hello pbrstreetgang,
 I am not sure what you mean by a 'sound' only option. We are not doing anything new with the chassis rather employing a few different techniques to best match the amp(s) with 100dB speakers. With one amp not being responsible for the full range, we can tailor each amp to best match the range it will be responsible for. The high frequency amplifiers are also available without the Bybees which will save nearly 200 on the cost.

Being a custom house, we can usually custom build one of these units to suit ones needs and budget. We have done many 'custom builds' over the years that were in the $1200 range.

There is also the realization that not everyone is going to need two amplifiers as they may already have one they have already fallen in love with and only need an additional amp for bi-amping. The DSP adds a lot of flexibility and versatility to amplification options.

Last, but not least, there are also several "more affordable" versions (we won't call it 'cheap guy option').
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2007, 01:36 am by Response Audio »

finsup

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2007, 01:25 am »
Hello Bill,

I realize your web page is a work in progress, but I did spot one typo in your first paragraph. 

Response Audio, working in conjunction with Emerald Physics has come up with a few amplification options for the CS2 loudspeaker. The CS2 requires bi-amplification after it's 4 channel DSP signal processing. The trick here was to develop these amplification options to be as quite as possible due to the 100dB sensitivity of the CS2.

I think you are shooting for "quiet".  I really like how quickly you have responded to the interest these speakers generated from RMAF by looking at your own product line and making adaptations.
--Michael

pbrstreetgang

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2007, 01:28 am »
Understood, I assume you are talking about your ~1500/ each options? If so that would definately be more palatable than feeling left out with just the monos  in the $15K range. Either way Im glad you are making specific options.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2007, 01:34 am »
Hello Michael, I noticed the quiet thing last night when I got home from work. It will be fixed tomorrow when I go in to do some paperwork.

As far as my response to these speakers, this was actually brought on by some of my existing customers who were at the show calling me (some right from the show before it was even over) expressing their interest in the speaker as well as obtaining another 3205 amplifier to use with the one they already have. A few asked me if I could customize it a bit to best mate with the high frequency driver of the CS2.

Then when I saw all the feedback here on AC and talked to a few more people.... well I had to call Clayton and ........... you get the idea :D

I am just as eager to get my ears on these speakers as those who are awaiting their speakers to be delivered.

Understood, I assume you are talking about your ~1500/ each options? If so that would definately be more palatable than feeling left out with just the monos  in the $15K range. Either way Im glad you are making specific options.

My apologies for the misunderstanding. I as mentioned, I know the BE100's are a bit pricey, especially two pair, to be paired with a $3K speaker. The 3205 amps will be our main focus as was mentioned in the first post:

What we are doing is custom building stereo tube amplifiers to best match these speakers with the first venture being based on our Bella EXtreme 3205 products (BE3205). We will be making available both the Signature and Platinum MK II versions with discounts available for packages.

finsup

« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2007, 06:36 am »
My apologies for the misunderstanding. I as mentioned, I know the BE100's are a bit pricey, especially two pair, to be paired with a $3K speaker. The 3205 amps will be our main focus as was mentioned in the first post:

Bill,
I did not go to RMAF but from what I have read, it was quite common to see expensive gear paired with somewhat inexpensive speakers.  The GR Research/AV123 room comes immediately to mind where the $4500 LS6 speakers were paired up with Dodd Audio $50K monoblocks.

As to the typo, maybe I should have PM'd you although I know that sometimes you see posts sooner than PMs.  Will your 3205s have a gain control?
--Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2007, 12:30 pm »
As a very happy owner of Bill's Bella Extreme 100's and a newly signed up Emerald Physics dealer, I am quite happy that Bill is going down both the paths he has outlined above.   :thumb: :thumb:

I think the different packages Bill proposed can be great options at different price points and for different sized rooms.

Given the performance of the Emerald Physics CS2's, I don't think it is a bad thing to match more expensive amps to them.

George
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2007, 02:50 pm by zybar »

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2007, 02:49 pm »
I did not go to RMAF but from what I have read, it was quite common to see expensive gear paired with somewhat inexpensive speakers.  The GR Research/AV123 room comes immediately to mind where the $4500 LS6 speakers were paired up with Dodd Audio $50K monoblocks.

We all know it is not out of the question. It's not always about the money rather how the componets 'gel'. There are those who will mate $20K worth of components with $5k speakers and visa versa. This is the reasoning for the options and why I am concentrating first on the $3k range for 2 amplifiers to drive the speakers. I realize that is a more attractive starting point.

As to the typo, maybe I should have PM'd you although I know that sometimes you see posts sooner than PMs.

No worries at all on that Michael.

Will your 3205s have a gain control?

Yes, this will also be an option on these amps just as it is one our regular production pieces. I have a piece almost complete now that I will eb using for the high frequency driver and it has a volume control installed. To keep the wooden face plate 'clean', the pot has been installed on the top side of the chassis front/center (between the two input tubes) with a smaller control knob.

George - Thank you again for your kind words. Please do keep me posted on your exeperimentation of setups.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
I have updated the page a bit from what was available this weekend. I will continue to add further information as well.

http://www.bellaextreme.com/emerald_physics_cs2.htm

Additionally, we will be doing away with the aluminum face plates on the 3205 series amplifiers and going back to real wood with the addition of a beautiful Curly Maple aa