From Trends UD-10 to USB off ramp Turbo-2.........is it worth it?

xsparky

Hello,

I was wondering some opinions whether going from my present Trends UD-10 to the USB off ramp Turbo-2 would be worth any sonic gains,if any?

I am using Foobar 9.44 with  FLAC files,then to the  ASIO driver I purchased from http://www.usb-audio.com .
This then feeds the Trends UD-10 and on to my Musical Fidelity DM25 tube upsampling dac.I should mention I am using the resampler in Foobar and it's set to 48khz out too.

The sound quality I am getting is VERY VERY GOOD!I have no issue's with pop's or clicks as I did with ASIO4all.

I am at a point where I am curious as to whether I would achieve any gains in sound quality,or is the next step selling my  Musical Fidelity DM25 and going towards a I2S dac like the Northstar.

Thanks for your comments.

audioengr

Hello,

I was wondering some opinions whether going from my present Trends UD-10 to the USB off ramp Turbo-2 would be worth any sonic gains,if any?

I am using Foobar 9.44 with  FLAC files,then to the  ASIO driver I purchased from http://www.usb-audio.com .
This then feeds the Trends UD-10 and on to my Musical Fidelity DM25 tube upsampling dac.I should mention I am using the resampler in Foobar and it's set to 48khz out too.

The sound quality I am getting is VERY VERY GOOD!I have no issue's with pop's or clicks as I did with ASIO4all.

I am at a point where I am curious as to whether I would achieve any gains in sound quality,or is the next step selling my  Musical Fidelity DM25 and going towards a I2S dac like the Northstar.

Thanks for your comments.

The UD-10 is a great product at the pricepoint, but it is not even close to the sound quality that you get with an Off-Ramp Turbo 2.  The Superclock4 and optimized digital design deliver very low jitter.  Much blacker background and detail rendering.  Very musical. You dont need an S/PDIF cable either.  Comes with a short captive cable. 

I recommend using Foobar 0.8.3 with DirectSound2 and SRC upsampling to 24.96 with the Off-Ramp.  All of these come with the product.

The Off-Ramp I2S is a bit better than the Off-Ramp Turbo 2, but you need a DAC that has I2S input. 

Once you have made the move to I2S, then there are other options available, such as the Pace-Car reclocker that has both S/PDIF and I2S outputs available.  This is the lowest jitter on the planet, even lower than the Off-Ramp, and you can mate it with USB, Squeezebox, Sonos, AirPort Express or Olive.  They all have the same great sound quality once reclocked by the Pace-Car. 

You can even use your UD-10 to drive the Pace-Car, but you must ship your laptop to me so I can tune the Pace-Car to the laptop.  You see, the incoming jitter to the Pace-Car is unimportant.

As for DAC's, I dont mean to boast, but I have not found anything close to my modded DAC-1, Northstar or Spoiler except for the Bremen #1, which also needed some mods to fix the top end.  If you read the feedback on these (posts on various forums - links under the mod info), you will find that I have multiple customers that have sold their EMM labs DAC's, Accoustic-Arts, and DCS DAC's after they received one of my DAC's.  They are really wonderful sounding.  As a matter of fact, a customer with one of my modded Dodson 218's just emailed me that he compared it to a Zanden Signature (supposedly the best DAC in the world).  Here is his email:

"after a few hours of A/B testing both DACs over the same Dominus S/PDIF cable I have to say this (with some surprise): the Zanden DAC does NOT sound better than the half-priced modded Dodson. Zanden has sexy meaty midrange, good bass and is very dynamic. I think what I am hearing is the raw advantage of well-sorted non-upsampled 16/44 sound. But where the Zanden ’rings’, the Dodson ’flows’. The 24/192 upsampled Dodson casts a bigger soundstage, more air and handles especially high frequencies and sharp tones with much more ease than the Zanden. This goes against all the Zanden DAC reviews I have read, but I have to say that on my system the modded Dodson sounds more natural and less digital - not by a big margin, but clearly so."

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2007, 04:28 pm by audioengr »

xsparky

Steve,

Thank you for the reply and explanations.I have a bit of thinking of how I want to take my "Digital", and whether I want to sell my present dac, to go to I2S.

Starting off with the UD-10 gives and idea on how good computer audio can sound.With all the step ups,it's hard to be able to actually here them, to make an informative decision which combination I would like with my system.

Jim.

audioengr

Steve,

Thank you for the reply and explanations.I have a bit of thinking of how I want to take my "Digital", and whether I want to sell my present dac, to go to I2S.

Starting off with the UD-10 gives and idea on how good computer audio can sound.With all the step ups,it's hard to be able to actually here them, to make an informative decision which combination I would like with my system.

Jim.

BTW, the Freeway 2 will beat it also.  $650

Steve N.