New Product Development

Wayne1

New Product Development
« on: 20 Oct 2007, 02:24 am »
A lot of folks at RMAF were very excited about the Emerald Physics speaker system.

It uses a Behringer DCX2496 for EQ and crossover control. I am going to start work on mods for this product.

Mike Garner of TweekGeek.com has been granted the distribution of the speaker for Colorado. We will be working together on this project.

jn316

Re: New Product Development
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2007, 09:41 pm »
Will they apply to the DEQ2496?
Gary

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2007, 02:50 pm »
Hello Gary,

The first section I am going to work on is the input/output stage. This is a bit different than the DEQ2496. I do not believe they will be compatible.

The power supplies look about the same. Anything I come up with for that section should be able to be used in the DEQ 2496.

macnewma

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2007, 04:44 pm »
I would be very interested in this.  The DCX can do many of the things the DEQ can.  It loses some of the whizbang features like the graphic EQ and mic preamp, but adds the crossover. 

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2007, 02:59 am »
I have been looking into the different mods and upgrades currently offered for the DCX.

One really nice one is the replacement board designed by Jan Didden of Denmark. He redesigns the input and output sections. He adds a remote controlled 6 channel attenuator after the DAC section. The input selection can also be remote controlled.  The "kit" is a bit involved. It is not a drop in replacement. The board needs to be stuffed with parts and there is a need for some chassis work.

I have ordered one of these in. I think its a really good place to start. This design looks very good though maybe it could use a few parts upgrade. It is not cheap. The board and parts are about twice the selling price of the DCX. It still needs the labor to assemble and install the board.

I have also looked at a linear power supply to replace the stock switcher. Stephane in France has designed a new board. It is not available quite yet. I have talked with him and I will be getting some when they do become available. The parts to stuff the board do not come with it. They will hopefully be available from US suppliers. The transformer he used to design this board is completely custom. He is having some built in France, but they will be only 220 VAC input. I have contacted a couple of transformer companies about getting some made here. This also will not be cheap. It took 6-8 weeks for me to have a custom transformer made for my Buffer project. The price in the small quantities I ordered was about 2-3 times the cost of a "stock" unit.

What I am getting at is that mods for the DCX will NOT be inexpensive. They quite possibly could run as high as $1,500-$2,000.00 for a full out, ready to go mod with "audiophile" grade parts. There is a reason that the unit sells for as low as it does. Behringer is not known for using high quality parts or circuitry. The digital section is quite nice, but the PS and I/O section do leave a bit to be desired.

When the mods are done, it will be able to be used as a preamp/DAC. You will only need a digital (or analog) source and a pair of power amps. Volume will be controlled in the analog section after the DAC chips.

I am also looking into being able to use the DCX with a USB input from any computer.

The DCX can be used with speakers other than the Emerald Physics. My personal VMPS 626R have been rewired for external crossovers. I can use this unit to tri-amp or bi-amp with a sub. It should be a lot of fun to experiment with.

I should get a stock DCX early next week. I will first try it out in my system as a sub crossover and EQ. I will compare it directly against the QSC DMP3 that I currently use in that function.

AphileEarlyAdopter

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2007, 11:25 pm »
This seems like a nice architecture to use the Panny receivers/amps with. Newform already uses the Panny with their digital crossover/speaker system. A good mod in this area would be to replace the multi-channel input in the Panny with two or three digital inputs. This way, we do not have to go into the analog domain at all. To me the preamp, burson buffer, i/c thingy is all too boring these days.
After I got a Black Sand cable Violet power cord for my Panny going into a Furman Power Factor Pro power conditioner, my enthusiasm for the Panny has been rekindled. (BTW, any time for working on mods for the Panny , Wayne ?)

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2007, 02:22 am »
Quick question as I have not yet brought in my CS2 speakers (I am working on teh amps though). When looking at the back of the Behringer DCX2496, I see it uses only balanced (XLR) inputs and outputs? Have these units be fitted with signle ended RCA outputs for use with the speakers?

TomS

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2007, 02:26 am »
I think Clayton indicated you'd need 6 xlr-rca adapters (2 in, 4 out) unless purchasing the turnkey ART 2-amp package which have balanced/xlr's.  The package comes complete with all cables needed.  Tom

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2007, 02:34 am »
Thank you Tom. I was just curious. The inputs are not a concern as I will use an Audio Note Custom preamp that has balanced transformer coupled outputs. Looking at this already had me ready to modify the unit and install RCA outouts but since I may start out with two pair of Bella Extreme 100 amplifiers, I will leave them alone as the amps have balanced inputs.

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 6 Nov 2007, 02:35 am »
... I may start out with two pair of Bella Extreme 100 amplifiers, I will leave them alone as the amps have balanced inputs.

Must be nice  aa

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2007, 03:06 am »
Thank you Tom. I was just curious. The inputs are not a concern as I will use an Audio Note Custom preamp that has balanced transformer coupled outputs. Looking at this already had me ready to modify the unit and install RCA outouts but since I may start out with two pair of Bella Extreme 100 amplifiers, I will leave them alone as the amps have balanced inputs.

Wish I could do that...

I will have to struggle along with one pair.   :wink:

George

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 6 Nov 2007, 03:13 am »
Wayne, this is a great idea. If it pans out I will be very interested, as would anyone who is into DIY speaker building. Even at $2000, in the long term of saving money on quality crossover parts and time on tweaking the hard way pays off. Not to mention the DAC functions, time alignment, on the fly EQ and crossover adjustments. It is not DEQX but more than adequate for most people who need a 2way, like open bafflers, etc. It will help to move the active amplification awareness a little farther down the road, and when that engine fires, it will be a craze.

I was very impressed with Emerald demo, but the grit was hard to take, especially with the hyper revealing waveguide tweeter. I asked the guy manning the room if the Behringer was stock, yup.

I have been investigating DCX mods and found those you listed, plus some others. A DCX upgrader in Japan is adding digital outputs so there is no conversion in the DCX: http://puremusicgroup.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1192225887/5#5
I like the idea of using purist external DACs, but you need a lot of them, and built ins will be more useful to more people, especially when modded per your standards.

RAM will also mod the DCX similar to their mod of the Behringer EQ processor.

Good luck with it, and I hereby volunteer as beta tester! I am building an OB speakers with Feastrex D5nf drivers and twin 15" woofers per side. Hope to be using a modded DCX to crossover, align and EQ.
Thanks
Rich

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 6 Nov 2007, 03:41 am »
Hello all,

I am not too sure about the direct to digital output of the DCX. I will have to look over the mod Rich mentioned. I think maybe the Panny can be modded to accept multiple digital inputs, but I haven't looked at the schematics in awhile. I might be able to fit in a more conventional mod in the next couple of weeks.

The output of the DCX DAC's is balanced which then goes to single ended and then back to balanced  :dunno:

The output XLR connectors do not use a "standard" template for mounting. I had hoped to be able to use the Neutrik panel mount RCAs, which mount in the same spacing as their XLRs, but that is not going to happen.

I have already done a "quick and dirty" mod to my stock DCX, which involves changing out the stock output coupling caps for much higher quality ones. This has helped A LOT in removing the "grit". This DCX will be available for comparison at TweekGeek's demo on the 17th of November with Clayton in attendance.

I just read today that there is a new digital board being developed which will also have a new clock circuit. It won't be available until sometime in December. So it looks like the only thing that will remain "stock" is the case.

Of course, the cost of the mods keeps going up. A custom transformer is being wound for this project. The dollar is falling in relation to the Euro. The only source for most of the parts for the PS is in GB. Overseas shipping isn't cheap and customs takes forever.

Maybe there will finally be a "fully" modded unit completed by the first quarter of next year.

sunshinedawg

« Reply #13 on: 6 Nov 2007, 05:58 pm »

I have been investigating DCX mods and found those you listed, plus some others. A DCX upgrader in Japan is adding digital outputs so there is no conversion in the DCX: http://puremusicgroup.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1192225887/5#5
I like the idea of using purist external DACs, but you need a lot of them, and built ins will be more useful to more people, especially when modded per your standards.

Rich

This is very interesting. I couldn't find a website for the guy in Japan doing the digital output mods. Do you have any more links about this? I would like to have this done so I can use my xr45 and maintain an all digital chain.

I am not too sure about the direct to digital output of the DCX. I will have to look over the mod Rich mentioned. I think maybe the Panny can be modded to accept multiple digital inputs, but I haven't looked at the schematics in awhile. I might be able to fit in a more conventional mod in the next couple of weeks.

I have multiple panny's so this wouldn't be a problem for me, just more panny mods for you!

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 6 Nov 2007, 09:48 pm »
The BAL>SE>BAL architecture of the stock output is probably cost cutting result. Balanced output would be cool, but rules out a lot of the hifi amps we love (and own.) SE output (ala Bolder) is quiet enough for 5 foot trip through decent wire to a well designed amp input stage. Adapting SE output to Balanced input is easy, not so the other way around. I think all single ended is the way to go for your target users :) Think of the tubes, Wayne, the poor little tube amps that are always left out of these big active speaker dreams!! haha

Sunshine, a friend in Tokyo showed me that picture, but no other info. I'm pointing him to this thread and will ask him if there's any more info on that digi output board.

I also read mgalusha's AC thread mentioning DCX just today. That option looks cool too. It is nice to see some fresh attention come to this product.
Rich

sunshinedawg

« Reply #15 on: 6 Nov 2007, 09:59 pm »

Sunshine, a friend in Tokyo showed me that picture, but no other info. I'm pointing him to this thread and will ask him if there's any more info on that digi output board.

Here is some more info dcx digital output mods, not sure if this is your friend or not.

richidoo

« Reply #16 on: 6 Nov 2007, 11:19 pm »
Nope that's a new one to me. Nice find!

sunshinedawg

« Reply #17 on: 7 Nov 2007, 03:40 pm »
Just realized this was in the Bolder circle, so I removed the link that I had posted earlier to another modder. This is driving me crazy, I wish I had the ability to wire digital outputs  into my dsp equipment. I have to learn how do mods or I'm gonna drive my self crazy trying to figure out alternatives. :duh:
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2007, 09:09 pm by sunshinedawg »