Emerald Physics CS2 loudspeakers at RMAF...WOW!!!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Emerald Physics CS2 loudspeakers at RMAF...WOW!!!
« Reply #80 on: 17 Oct 2007, 01:47 am »
Clayton Shaw has been around for a while, and used to be part of a team called Evett and Shaw

I knew the name sounded familiar :duh:

I was not at RMAF and have never heard these speakers but based on the feedback from many trusting ears as well as admiration for Waveguide technology, I too picked up the Emerald Physics speakers for my New York location.

I have not been exposed to open baffle design so it will be interesting to see what it takes to open these up in my room.

Now let's see how they do filling a large room driven by a couple sets of tube amps.

-Richard-

« Reply #81 on: 17 Oct 2007, 06:20 pm »
A very exciting thread... thanks to everyone who has contributed their experiences and
insights here... deeply interesting!!!!

Those who are purchasing (or selling retail) these apparently marvelous OB speakers,
please follow-up with your impressions... many of us OB fans who have dabbled in the
DIY area are excitedly interested to learn more about the Emerald Physics OB's.

Thanks again to all for keeping us informed.

Warm Regards ~ Richard

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #82 on: 17 Oct 2007, 06:31 pm »
Hello Richard,
 I don't mind posting a few impressions but being a potential retail dealer for these as well, I will have to generalize my comments as anything more could be taken as biased words.  Our original intent with having these speakers in our showroom was to come up with some custom amplifiers designed to mate with them.

-Richard-

« Reply #83 on: 17 Oct 2007, 06:54 pm »
Hi Bill ~

Naturally any person using these or any speakers with a commercial interest somewhere
embedded in their intentions is necessarily bound by self-interest... I cannot imagine
anyone saying something about a product that would deliberately harm their self-interest...
that seems fair and ethical given the ethos of our current society.

I hope, however, that our community of end-users... especially those of us who have
a fair amount of experience with OB designs... can help all of us who are intensely
interested in reasonably-priced "commercial" OB solutions/offerings to understand what
the Emerald Physics speakers are getting right... sonically speaking of course... and
perhaps where there may be areas that may need improvement.

That would help all of us to make our purchases with a full understanding of what we can
reasonably expect when we set them up in our own homes.

That is what is so incredibly important about Audio Circle... I trust my AC community
far more than any magazine reviewers... except for perhaps 2... and their work resides
in the e-magazine world... and at least one of the reviewers is a highly welcomed
regular here in AC.

It would be wonderful if a purchaser of the EP OB speakers has at least built there own
OB's from the well-received drivers that are currently being used by many AC members...
that would give us an immediate point of reference.

Warm Regards ~ Richard

Angaria

« Reply #84 on: 17 Oct 2007, 08:20 pm »
Does anyone know which Eminence woofers are in the cs2?  Curious how a 15" does going up to 1K.

gitarretyp

« Reply #85 on: 17 Oct 2007, 08:36 pm »
It's one of the eminence prosound drivers. Using a paper cone 15" that high isn't uncommon.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #86 on: 17 Oct 2007, 08:47 pm »
Tannoy 15s also go to around 1k.

scorpion

« Reply #87 on: 17 Oct 2007, 10:22 pm »
Question is what goes down to 20 Hz without beeing extremly equalized in that sort of OB? The claim is 20 - 22000 Hz - 3 dB no + is stated.

/Erling
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2007, 10:34 pm by scorpion »

gitarretyp

« Reply #88 on: 17 Oct 2007, 10:35 pm »
Question is what goes down to 20 Hz without beeing extremly equalized in that sort of OB? The claim is 20 - 22000 Hz - 3 dB no + is stated.

/Erling

Nothing with those specs; however, the CS2 employs equalization.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #89 on: 17 Oct 2007, 10:37 pm »

/Erling

My understanding is that there is roughly 10dB of boost at around 30Hz.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2007, 10:49 pm by Russell Dawkins »

scorpion

« Reply #90 on: 17 Oct 2007, 10:38 pm »
To put on a convincing audio demo you rarely have to go down below 60 Hz, that's deep bass in most music!
But certainly it is a good thing for a speaker to pull out this with good quality.

/Erling

nature boy

« Reply #91 on: 17 Oct 2007, 11:40 pm »
Our original intent with having these speakers in our showroom was to come up with some custom amplifiers designed to mate with them.

Bless you Bill, who knows maybe even I will upgrade my system.  George (Zybar) can't have all the fun around here. :D

NB

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #92 on: 18 Oct 2007, 02:12 am »

/Erling

My understanding is that there is roughly 10dB of boost at around 30Hz.

That is correct.

George

Angaria

« Reply #93 on: 18 Oct 2007, 07:19 am »
It's one of the eminence prosound drivers. Using a paper cone 15" that high isn't uncommon.

thanks - but Eminence makes a huge range of 15" woofers.  Was wondering which one.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #94 on: 18 Oct 2007, 12:46 pm »
Bless you Bill, who knows maybe even I will upgrade my system.  George (Zybar) can't have all the fun around here.

Hi NB, Thanks for the comment. When the time comes, I will start a new thread on my Response Audio Circle as this is not the place to ask or answer questions about our goals and arrangements with Emerald Physics.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #95 on: 19 Oct 2007, 02:04 am »
Someone in another thread said the woofs were the Eminence Alpha 15A.  Anyone know what compression driver they are using?

alan m. kafton

« Reply #96 on: 19 Oct 2007, 03:37 am »
Just got word via the grapevine that Clayton sold 35 pair at the show.  Wow, indeed.   aa

gitarretyp

« Reply #97 on: 19 Oct 2007, 03:44 am »
Someone in another thread said the woofs were the Eminence Alpha 15A.  Anyone know what compression driver they are using?

That's in reference to an older emerald design. I've not seen anyone say the cs2 uses the alphas, thought it's likely since the designer seems to like them. The tweeter is probably a BMS 4540, as used the in the older speakers.

Angaria

« Reply #98 on: 19 Oct 2007, 02:43 pm »
Yeah - can't imagine the 15alphas sounding really good @ 1K.  Impressed that apparently there is a 15" that does.

birdwizard

« Reply #99 on: 31 Oct 2007, 07:07 pm »
  Something you guys might be interested in. I just got word from Clayton that he also plans to offer these in Cream colored cloth, as well as possibly Red and Blue down the road.
   Jason