Emerald Physics CS2 loudspeakers at RMAF...WOW!!!

TomS

Re: Emerald Physics CS2 loudspeakers at RMAF...WOW!!!
« Reply #20 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:02 pm »
He uses a different dsp curve file depending on how far you tell him you are placing them from the rear wall.  A good distance seemed to be 5-6' based on how they were set up in the demo room.  Anything closer than 4' might be a problem.  They can be very close to side walls as there is a null at the sides, pattern is front and rear.   

Mine is 24' x 13' and he recommended 6' behind them and 1-2' from the side walls to outside edge of speakers

anubisgrau

« Reply #21 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:07 pm »
He uses a different dsp curve file depending on how far you tell him you are placing them from the rear wall.  A good distance seemed to be 5-6' based on how they were set up in the demo room.  Anything closer than 4' might be a problem.  They can be very close to side walls as there is a null at the sides, pattern is front and rear.   

Mine is 24' x 13' and he recommended 6' behind them and 1-2' from the side walls to outside edge of speakers

i don't get it - did you buy them?

can you compare them with the merlins? i'm trying to establish a point of reference...

TomS

« Reply #22 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:16 pm »
Not yet..... 

...and nothing wrong with the Merlins at all.  They do their own thing as well as it can possibly be done IMHO.  I haven't found anything I like better for my needs in the "super" floor monitor sort of genre.

I can't really compare without having a set in my own room.  I'm not sure how to describe them other than the way George already did very well.  They are simply effortless, very dynamic, and non-fatiguing, and lightning quick and clean in the bass regions without a hint of bloatiness or overhang.  Simple placement and drive requirements too.  They made almost any music very listenable without seeming to take anything away or masking what's there.

Overall they create an uncannily real dynamic presentation without having to smack you in the face with it or swinging for the fences to get your attention all the time.

mcullinan

« Reply #23 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:27 pm »
Tom!!! Are you getting the Emerald Physics... That means I will be the only one left in the entire cold world with Merlins... brrr!
:)Mike

TomS

« Reply #24 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:33 pm »
Tom!!! Are you getting the Emerald Physics... That means I will be the only one left in the entire cold world with Merlins... brrr!

No, I still have Merlins (which I like very much) and also have pre-ordered LS-9's incoming too (a whole 'nuther breed of cat).  I didn't go to RMAF with any intent to find a new set of speakers.  What I can say is these obviously left a BIG impression on me in terms of what I value in listening.  I'm twisting this all around in my head at the moment so who knows.  My budget and floor space don't allow another set at the moment either, so I guess for now my answer is no I'm not.

mcullinan

« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:38 pm »

No, I still have Merlins (which I like very much) and also have pre-ordered LS-9's incoming too (a whole 'nuther breed of cat).  I didn't go to RMAF with any intent to find a new set of speakers.  What I can say is these obviously left a BIG impression on me in terms of what I value in listening.  I'm twisting this all around in my head at the moment so who knows.  My budget and floor space don't allow another set at the moment either, so I guess for now my answer is no I'm not.

Wow those LS-9s look killer... so so big. The size would equal the beating my wife would give me... lol... Let me know how they sound. I will start divorce proceedings immediately!
Mike

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #26 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:44 pm »
Bill,

I'll give you a call tomorrow.

George

No problem George. I see they recommend/require bi-amping due to the DSP active network. Give me a call between 10AM - 2PM if you can.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #27 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:47 pm »
Maybe I need to set up an amplifier package for AC members who purchased or own these speakers. Maybe a pair of 3205 amplifiers?

TomS

« Reply #28 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:54 pm »
Maybe I need to set up an amplifier package for AC members who purchased or own these speakers. Maybe a pair of 3205 amplifiers?
Bill - you need three(!) if the extra bass panels are used

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #29 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:58 pm »
Bill - you need three(!) if the extra bass panels are used

Okay, no problem.  :thumb: I just figured most would already own at least one amplifier. Hell, most AC'ers own half a dozen :duh:

TomS

« Reply #30 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:59 pm »
Just FWIW, Emerald offers a complete package with Art Audio SLA-1 100/100w and SLA-2 200/200w stereo amplifiers with all XLR cables for another $495 so you can be up and running right away.  It was intended for those who aren't familiar with all the active/biamp sort of thing.  Now, of course, Bella's would be WAY sweeter.

anubisgrau

« Reply #31 on: 15 Oct 2007, 12:13 am »
which BMS driver CS2 uses?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #32 on: 15 Oct 2007, 12:14 am »
Just FWIW, Emerald offers a complete package with Art Audio SLA-1 100/100w and SLA-2 200/200w stereo amplifiers with all XLR cables for another $495 so you can be up and running right away.

Okay, got it. You had me a bit confused for a while there. I didn't think Art Audio had anything, anywhere near that price. I take it you are speaking of ART - Applied Research and Technology?

mcullinan

« Reply #33 on: 15 Oct 2007, 12:22 am »
My room is 12 x 17 abd the emeralds woud have to be on the long wall. Possible? Mike

goskers

« Reply #34 on: 15 Oct 2007, 12:32 am »
It is nice to see that someone has combined some of the great ideas unknown by some in the audio world.  Controlled directivity has been one of Earl Geddes kingpins for quite some time.  Sigfried Linkwitz has done a fantastic job of leading not only the dipole surge but also making a system active for better driver control. 

Please, no one should take any of these comments as a knock against any other contributors to similar design areas.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #35 on: 15 Oct 2007, 12:44 am »
Well George is at it again. New speakers. Maybe new electronics? Never seems to end. Sure do enjoy reading his posts. Wonder when he will quit changing gear and say "I'm satisfied" In my lifetime? Probably not.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie

Randy

« Reply #36 on: 15 Oct 2007, 01:55 am »
The Emeralds were very nice, but the best speaker I heard today was the ATC 100 with built-in 300 watt Class A (the first 200 watts) amps. Of course they cost $23000, but they can play to real-life levels with no effort. The effect was scary good.

brj

« Reply #37 on: 15 Oct 2007, 02:45 am »
I spent about 45 minutes in the Emerald Physics room today, and have to say that I was impressed as well.  Unfortunately, I forgot my discs today, but he had one on that "some guys had given him" that sounded suspiciously familiar... it turned out to be the NYAR disk!  :thumb:

I'd love to see that speaker with a modded DEQX, but that doesn't really line up with its price point.  He does intend to focus on the DEQX for his upcoming 3-way, which differs primarily by being a bit taller to accommodate the extra 15" woofers, and having an aluminum baffle instead of a constrained-layer damped MDF baffle (2 1.25" MDF layers sandwiching the flexible layer).

For those still concerned about room placement, be aware that you only really need to be considering the dipole behavior below the 1200 Hz crossover frequency.  Above that, you have a 90 deg radiation pattern due to the waveguide.  (For those familiar with SP Tech, the Emerald Physics guide is 12" across, deeper and more horn-like in appearance than Bob's).  I did suggest that he damp the (high density plastic?) waveguide, but he said that was already on his radar once he caught up with existing orders.  Apparently, he is getting lots of international orders from distributors.

One thing that I'm curious to hear about from those that purchased the speakers is their ability to pressurize a room.  From the tracks that I heard, the bass is deep and tight, but it didn't strike me as "punchy" as I've become accustomed to.  I don't have much experience listening to dipole bass, however.

I have some pictures that I'll upload tomorrow when I have access to my card reader at work.

George, I was hoping to run into you today - sorry we didn't connect!
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2007, 02:56 am by brj »

TomS

« Reply #38 on: 15 Oct 2007, 03:06 am »
Just FWIW, Emerald offers a complete package with Art Audio SLA-1 100/100w and SLA-2 200/200w stereo amplifiers with all XLR cables for another $495 so you can be up and running right away.

Okay, got it. You had me a bit confused for a while there. I didn't think Art Audio had anything, anywhere near that price. I take it you are speaking of ART - Applied Research and Technology?

Sorry, different ART, as in sound reinforcement type amps

kyyuan

« Reply #39 on: 15 Oct 2007, 03:27 am »
I spent about 45 minutes in the Emerald Physics room today, and have to say that I was impressed as well.  Unfortunately, I forgot my discs today, but he had one on that "some guys had given him" that sounded suspiciously familiar... it turned out to be the NYAR disk!  :thumb:

brj...you mean no other attendees had Heart with them?  he he he....sorry -- had to put an Art on ya.  Hope all is well.