Emerald Physics CS2 loudspeakers at RMAF...WOW!!!

D OB G

Re: Emerald Physics CS2 loudspeakers at RMAF...WOW!!!
« Reply #100 on: 1 Nov 2007, 02:52 am »
Hi Angaria,

You might like to know that Madisound commissioned Eminence to make a subwoofer (Fs of 24 Hz), the EMI 1550.
I discovered to my amazement that it is flat to a -3 dB point of 1.6 kHz, with no peak, and a beautifully smooth roll-off.
So as well as using them for bass duty, I use one for my midrange with excellent detail, smoothness, and dynamics.

David

gitarretyp

« Reply #101 on: 1 Nov 2007, 06:22 am »
That EMI 1550 has high'ish inductance, which usually means distortion rises with frequency. Based on the specs, that driver's best used as a woofer only. For OB use, the Kappalite 3015LF looks like a better candidate to me, with more xmax, lower inductance, and higher sensitivity than the EMI. Of course, it's about 2x the cost, also. If i were using 15"ers into the midrange, i'd probably take a look at the B&C 15 TBX100.

D OB G

« Reply #102 on: 2 Nov 2007, 01:05 am »
Hi gitarretyp,

Unfortunately both those speakers have a break-up peak of 5 dB (on smoothed graphs !).
The Kappalite at about 1.2 kHz, followed by another peak, and the B&C at about 1.7 kHz.
For me, this makes them unsuitable as midrange drivers.
(I don't believe a notch filter solves the problem.  Lynn Olson in "Beyond the Ariel" goes into some detail about this).
I'm able to roll the EMI 1550 off naturally, without even an inductor.

David

crazybastard

« Reply #103 on: 4 Nov 2007, 12:42 am »
Can you use this instead? Nice steep roll off without major peaks at 2k

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-394&ctab=4#Tabs

D OB G

« Reply #104 on: 4 Nov 2007, 02:00 am »
Hi crazybastard,

That Selenium driver, at 18", wouldn't normally be considered for midrange duty (beaming, difficulty in meeting usual criteria).
The freq response curve is very smoothed, so it is difficult to tell just how severe the break-up at 500 Hz is, but they do say the driver only "reaches" the vocal range.
The phase curve is very ragged between 350 and 1500 Hz, suggesting severe resonances, which is usually more evident on the impedance curve.
In fact, the impedance curve IS very ragged if you look through the nominal "magnifying glass", as the scale is 100 ohms!!!

David

Wind Chaser

« Reply #105 on: 9 Nov 2007, 04:30 pm »
George,

I think the three week waiting period is up... are you in possession of them yet?

John

TomS

« Reply #106 on: 9 Nov 2007, 04:31 pm »
Tick tick tick...  :green:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #107 on: 9 Nov 2007, 06:52 pm »
They arrived yesterday, but I was still in Dallas on business.

Since I have been away most of the week, I "hope" to find time to set them up this weekend.

George

birdwizard

« Reply #108 on: 14 Nov 2007, 12:22 am »

Since I have been away most of the week, I "hope" to find time to set them up this weekend.

George

Hey George,
  Any time to check these out yet?

Also, what are your impressions of the packaging?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #109 on: 14 Nov 2007, 12:30 am »

George

Hey George,
  Any time to check these out yet?

Also, what are your impressions of the packaging?

I will hopefully unbox tonight and take pics along the way.

George

mcullinan

« Reply #110 on: 14 Nov 2007, 01:15 am »
George,
you take pics yet??
mike

ttan98

« Reply #111 on: 2 Jan 2008, 04:35 am »
One user from another forum told me that E.P. uses Selenium 220 and not sure of their woofer on their CS2.

fsimms

seadogs1

« Reply #113 on: 14 Jan 2008, 03:08 pm »
Is anyone doing modifications to the Behringer 2496 and/or the active crossover for the Emerald Physics speakers?

tanchiro58

« Reply #114 on: 14 Jan 2008, 04:38 pm »
Is anyone doing modifications to the Behringer 2496 and/or the active crossover for the Emerald Physics speakers?

I do not own the Emerald Physics CS2 and modded Beringer 2496 (will be soon) but I listened to them at CES 2008 in the room of Modwright and RAM. The combination is awesome and all Beringer 2496 was moddded to bring the level of full performance of the Emerald Physics speakers. The room of Modwright and RAM were among the best sounding gears IMO.  :thumb:

kehut

« Reply #115 on: 27 Jan 2008, 01:27 am »
 Guys.. I Heard the CS-2's recently at my local dealer here in Atlanta and having heard them..I ordered a pair from Clayton. I should be up in about 1-2 weeks time :roll: As a Quad owner and lover :drool:...I took the plunge to go with the CS-2 after hearing them do all the Quads did and much more..Already spoke to Ric Shultz about his upgrade of the DCX..but for now will use the stock 2496 DCX...

George, any new impressions at this point to share? Hows it coming along..Tom..jump in too with your impressions.

TomS

« Reply #116 on: 27 Jan 2008, 02:29 am »
I've always loved the Quads, so will be interested to hear your thoughts on the CS2's.  Be sure to give them a little break-in time before you start with mods.  I wrote a review in the Speaker Reviews circle, so those are pretty much my most recent thoughts, along with the CS2 amplifiers thread.  The Didden output board mod certainly took them to another level entirely.  I'm really happy with mine so far.

Tom

kehut

« Reply #117 on: 27 Jan 2008, 02:58 am »
Thanks Tom...Will definitely give them time to break-in, and check out the threads. Your set up looks great!

Ken

Philistine

« Reply #118 on: 30 Jan 2008, 08:33 pm »
The CS2's are causing quiet a stir, and being preferred over other speakers that are considerably more expensive.  Dan Wright has now endorsed them, I've always considered Dan to be someone who prefers not to 'over sell' and consequently I take his endorsement as a significant accolade.  As I have restrictions on rear wall placement I'm curious on the 4ft minimum that I read in an earlier post.  Is this 4ft a 'cast in stone' distance or is their more flexibility on this?

TomS

« Reply #119 on: 30 Jan 2008, 09:09 pm »
The CS2's are causing quiet a stir, and being preferred over other speakers that are considerably more expensive.  Dan Wright has now endorsed them, I've always considered Dan to be someone who prefers not to 'over sell' and consequently I take his endorsement as a significant accolade.  As I have restrictions on rear wall placement I'm curious on the 4ft minimum that I read in an earlier post.  Is this 4ft a 'cast in stone' distance or is their more flexibility on this?
They're easy enough to move so I could probably try this.  I know the DCX settings only start at about 4' so you might ask a dealer or Clayton about it.  My soundstage improved in terms of the believability of it (spread, depth) and the image snapped into slightly better focus once I moved them out a little bit and toe'd them a little more inward.  I didn't find the bass changed as much as I would have expected.  Even at the shortest setting they were quite good though.  I just had the space, so used it and they've stayed right there ever since.