Live From Denver... RMAF 2007

Ross @ ACI

Live From Denver... RMAF 2007
« on: 12 Oct 2007, 10:21 pm »
Here's the first few pics to come out of RMAF 2007 in Denver...

Ross @ ACI

Re: Live From Denver... RMAF 2007
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2007, 10:24 pm »
Chris, AKA, Lonewolf in his official pose sans traditional drink...

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2007, 10:31 pm »
Its a classic!

Docutech

« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2007, 11:09 pm »
WHERE IS THE BEER??

:lol:

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2007, 11:49 pm »
The beer is downstairs, probably near Chris, and that is where we will soon be headed . . . 8)

ajayrav

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2007, 12:11 am »
Nice set-up!  Will be very interested to hear a comparison of the Bolder modded Squeezebox and PSU vs the Rega Apollo through the Sapphire XLs and Korato amps.  Are the only room treatments the Tri-traps?

Ajay

ooheadsoo

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2007, 12:33 am »
How's the bass?

mca

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2007, 12:43 am »
You guy's are killing me! So wish I was there  :evil:

TheChairGuy

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2007, 12:55 am »
It's just too rich that he's wearing his AC shirt depicting him leaning on a speaker...while he leans on your speaker.  Totally, a classic - as is WolfyChris  :thumb:

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2007, 01:04 am »
Instant Classic!!

I want that picture on a shirt !

F-100

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2007, 01:10 am »
Chris,
  You look different without the beer.  :lol:

denjo

« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2007, 01:12 am »
Hi Mike

Congrats on a lovely set up! I noticed the Force or Titan Sub in the pics? I have one just like that and it sounds fantabulous!

Hi Chris

Great seeing you in RMAF 2007! Ahh ... that classic, signature pose (minus the bottle of beer)! I know they call you the "AC Speaker Model". Can I suggest a change to "AC Speaker Ambassador"!  :D

MaxCast

« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2007, 01:49 am »
Chris, AKA, Lonewolf in his official pose sans traditional drink...

Sweeeet!  That a way wolfy.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2007, 02:55 pm »
Hi Mike

Congrats on a lovely set up! I noticed the Force or Titan Sub in the pics? I have one just like that and it sounds fantabulous!

Howdy! It has been a terrific show thus far. That' a Force XL in the pic . . .  and for fun we only have it on about 1/3 of the time and often  it is pretty hard to tell whether it is on or not. Folks are just stunned by what a pair of Sapphire XLs can do . . .

Ross @ ACI

« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2007, 05:26 pm »

Chris giving a lesson on speaker leaning...

From left to right: Glenn, Mike, Chris, Bryan

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2007, 05:39 pm »

ajayrav

« Reply #16 on: 13 Oct 2007, 09:31 pm »
You KNOW you are a  terribly possessive so-and-so when all you think about when you see the picture above is getting those fingerprints and smudges off the XLs pristine finish!!!! :lol:

Seriously though, one of my good friends placed her Mojito on my XLs.  It took ALL my fortitude and forbearance not to say something.  Luckily, she didn't keep it there for long and moved back into the living room, at which time I quickly wiped it off, looking around to make sure no-one saw me at my anal-retentive best!

jrebman

« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2007, 03:38 pm »
Wanted to say thanks to everybody in the ACI room -- Mike and Ross, Brian and Glen, and all the other AC folks we met in the room over the course of the weekend.

For anybody who doesn't already know it, these are all first-class guys, and the room was sounding great -- even better than I would have imagined, and I'll explain that a little further down.

Linda and I stopped by to hear my new Bolder SB3 with Statement mods as it was on loan to the room for the duration of the show.  We were instantly impressed with the sound in the room and decided to stay for a while and have a listen.  Double Ugly was sitting behind us at the time and I turned to him to ask which of the ACI subs was playing along with the monitors.  He said that none were, and I really thought he was just pulling my leg, so at the next break in the music I asked Mike and he said that no sub had been playing, and said he would turn it on so I could hear the difference.  He did, and sure enough, there was a difference, but not drastic -- just a nice, subtle and extremely well integrated filling in of the very low end.  That got my attention.  I've never been a real fan of monitors -- mostly because most of the ones I've heard have just been a bit too forward and in-your-face, not very full sounding, and lacking in the bottom end.  Well, this was obviously no ordinary pair of monitors I was listening to, so I just decided to hang out for a while and listen.  No matter what was thrown at these, how soft or loud, how simple or complex, they just never cracked.  Linda then says, out of the blue, "and how much do these cost?", and I start to think that maybe she's thinking the same thing that I am, but we said no more about it at that point and left the room after a few more tunes.

We went to have some lunch when she asked if I thought they would work with our amp and in our room, and I said that they work exceptionally well with both.

"I wonder how much they want for the sub if we take it with us and they won't have to take it home?" she said, and I thought, "they probably don't want to take those stands home either."  So later in the day we found ourselves back up in the room for some more listening and also some questions about pricing, show specials, etc., and again left to go and see more of the show.

Later that evening when we got back to our room for the evening we talked  about it again and she asked if she thought we could afford to get the system if we sold the Adagios.  Mind you, she *loves* the Adagios -- not just for their sonics, but for their striking appearance and red finish.  I said that we could, and so we decided that the next morning after breakfast we would go back and place our order.

We got to the room and there was a tune playing and at the next break Mike asked if there were any requests, and I said, "yes, I'd like to take that sub home and have a pair of XLs in Cherry sent to us, and if you want to sell them, I'd be glad to take the stands as well."  Happy-happy, joy-joy! and a few minutes later Mike came back to us with two quotes -- one with, and one without the stands, and then we gave him a check for the whole system on the spot.

Now, I want to say again, that I am not a guy who likes most monitors, that I love my Adagios, and that when we came to this show, the furthest thing from our minds was that we were going to buy a pair of speakers.  It was literally just not even on the radar.  Our agenda for the show was pretty simple -- we just wanted to look and listen to some new things -- most for curiosity's sake, pick up my Statement SB3 and Ultimate IV PSU from Wayne, officially place our order for an Audio Note TT-2 turntable, and maybe pick up some CDs and LPs, and that was it.

Does that say anything to you?  Well, it should.  These are just plain wonderful speakers, and Mike is a great guy... what else can I say?

For now I'll just say thanks to Mike and his son Ross, Brian, and Glenn for welcoming us and just letting us listen to our heart's content, with no pressure whatsoever.  That's the way to run a business, guys.

Our only challenge left was how to get the sub, the two stands, Linda, muyself, and our luggage, and our friend, Guido and his luggage all into a Civic hatchback.  With Ross' help and a little ingenuity we managed to fit everything in -- albeit a bit cramped, and safely made it home.  Thanks also to Brian and Deadfish for helping with disassembly and packing everything in their boxes.

Now, we're just waiting for our Sapphire XLs to arrive sometime in the next week or so -- we told them to take their time as our house is in a bit of an upheaval right now and if we didn't have two more boxes to cope with, that would be fine with us.

More forthcoming once everything is setup, broken in, and dialed in and we have some listening time under our belts, but I'll say it again, these are some mighty impressive speakers to have caught my attention so fully as for us to buy them, especially when we had no intention of doing anything remotely like this.

Thanks again, guys,

Jim

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2007, 04:12 pm »
Great story Jim, but aren't you the facilitator for the single driver speaker circle?

Some of my most satisfying speakers were small 2-ways that have much of the coherence of single driver designs.

Bigfish

« Reply #19 on: 15 Oct 2007, 04:23 pm »

We got to the room and there was a tune playing and at the next break Mike asked if there were any requests, and I said, "yes, I'd like to take that sub home and have a pair of XLs in Cherry sent to us, and if you want to sell them, I'd be glad to take the stands as well."  Happy-happy, joy-joy! and a few minutes later Mike came back to us with two quotes -- one with, and one without the stands, and then we gave him a check for the whole system on the spot.

Now, I want to say again, that I am not a guy who likes most monitors, that I love my Adagios, and that when we came to this show, the furthest thing from our minds was that we were going to buy a pair of speakers.  It was literally just not even on the radar.  Our agenda for the show was pretty simple -- we just wanted to look and listen to some new things -- most for curiosity's sake, pick up my Statement SB3 and Ultimate IV PSU from Wayne, officially place our order for an Audio Note TT-2 turntable, and maybe pick up some CDs and LPs, and that was it.

Does that say anything to you?  Well, it should.  These are just plain wonderful speakers, and Mike is a great guy... what else can I say?

For now I'll just say thanks to Mike and his son Ross, Brian, and Glenn for welcoming us and just letting us listen to our heart's content, with no pressure whatsoever.  That's the way to run a business, guys.

Our only challenge left was how to get the sub, the two stands, Linda, muyself, and our luggage, and our friend, Guido and his luggage all into a Civic hatchback.  With Ross' help and a little ingenuity we managed to fit everything in -- albeit a bit cramped, and safely made it home.  Thanks also to Brian and Deadfish for helping with disassembly and packing everything in their boxes.

Now, we're just waiting for our Sapphire XLs to arrive sometime in the next week or so -- we told them to take their time as our house is in a bit of an upheaval right now and if we didn't have two more boxes to cope with, that would be fine with us.

More forthcoming once everything is setup, broken in, and dialed in and we have some listening time under our belts, but I'll say it again, these are some mighty impressive speakers to have caught my attention so fully as for us to buy them, especially when we had no intention of doing anything remotely like this.

Thanks again, guys,

Jim

Jim:

Congratulations on the purchase of the new speakers, stands and sub.  I will be interested in your reports once everything is set-up in your home.

Ken