Formula One..what a concept!

wappinghigh

Formula One..what a concept!
« on: 12 Oct 2007, 12:51 pm »
Steve, I'm extremely excited by this formula one project. Hope you don't mind me adding some practical "requests"

First> I know it's a way off yet, but can you take "pre orders"...any chance of jumping the queue before the queue?!

Second> any chance of adding a second I2S input?( in addition to the internal offramp usb-I2S)?
I for one as you may be aware use both a sonos and computer as source through the one DAC. Some forum members may wonder why. Answer because each has it's limitations:

Sonos: no 24/96. Zone player software not nearly as intuitive as itunes. Remote controller can't control other devices. Won't play DRM tracks.
Computer: no available sonos "computer zone player". ie Unable to link computer's audio into the sonos multiroom system.

Having both resolves these issues...until Sonos gets it's act together!

Third> For convenience the remote is a great idea Steve...(I've already written applescipts to contol IR signals from a MAC) but if it can't come to be, input selection must be accessible on the front panel (appologies unlike the Spoiler)...I know you say it can't be done Steve, but autosense on line source input would be amazingly useful when using a DAC with a music player like the sonos (or squeezbox for that matter). You see the way you use and contol this great multiroom system is all via the handheld controller....it might even be from a different room. When I'm walking around the house I'll often turn on the zone(room) I'm about to enter way before I actually enter the room....If you then add an Amp with autosense (like a Rotel or Linn)...you have a fully automated sound system to match gear thousands of dollars more.

Anyway Steve can't wait....bring it on!

AB
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2007, 11:41 am by wappinghigh »

hadden

Re: Formula One..what a concept!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2007, 01:38 pm »
Me, I'd like a bare bones version so I can afford one. 8)

I bet a lot of Head-fiers would like a headphone-out/vol. One box solution.

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2007, 04:46 am »
Steve, I'm extremely excited by this formula one project. Hope you don't mind me adding some practical "requests"

First> I know it's a way off yet, but can you take "pre orders"...any chance of jumping the queue before the queue?!

Better not.  It may be 9 months before I have the first prototype.

Second> any chance of adding a second I2S input?( in addition to the internal offramp usb-I2S)?
I for one as you may be aware use both a sonos and computer as source through the one DAC. Some forum members may wonder why.

The Formula One has the following 4 digital inputs:

S/PDIF coax - 75 ohm BNC
AES/EBU - XLR
USB
I2S

Third> For convenience the remote is a great idea Steve...(I've already written applescipts to contol IR signals from a MAC) but if it can't come to be, input selection must be accessible on the front panel (appologies unlike the Spoiler)...

There is an input select pushbutton.

I know you say it can't be done Steve, but autosense on line source input would be amazingly useful when using a DAC with a music player like the sonos (or squeezbox for that matter). You see the way you use and contol this great multiroom system is all via the handheld controller....it might even be from a different room. When I'm walking around the house I'll often turn on the zone(room) I'm about to enter way before I actually enter the room....If you then add an Amp with autosense (like a Rotel or Linn)...you have a fully automated sound system to match gear thousands of dollars more.

This may be something that I can do as an internal jumpered option.  I will look at the design.  It will take additional circuitry and the board is already packed I think.  I may even have to go to a larger board and chassis...

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2007, 04:48 am »
Me, I'd like a bare bones version so I can afford one. 8)

I bet a lot of Head-fiers would like a headphone-out/vol. One box solution.

What would you leave out in a "bare-bones" version?  The remote control? The display?

Steve N.

wappinghigh

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2007, 11:37 am »
"Better not.  It may be 9 months before I have the first prototype. "

Ok...looks like I'll have to wait for the baby to be born!

"The Formula One has the following 4 digital inputs:

S/PDIF coax - 75 ohm BNC
AES/EBU - XLR
USB
I2S "

"There is an input select pushbutton. "

re autosensing:

"This may be something that I can do as an internal jumpered option.  I will look at the design.  It will take additional circuitry and the board is already packed I think.  I may even have to go to a larger board and chassis..."

Fantastic!!!!! All of above = my dream DAC