Home Theater Remotes - Harmony

nature boy

« on: 7 Sep 2003, 07:42 pm »
Hey Bill or Chris,

I am looking for a good HT remote that is easy to use and won't become completely obsolete in a couple of years.  Have you guys had a chance to compare the new Harmony SST-659 to the SST-768?

The 659 is $100 bills less than the 768 and appears more family friendly.  I think the new one is being rolled out at CEDIA. Looks like comparing a Mercedes S class to the E class.

Introducing the ultimate family remote control...
Harmony Remote SST-659 The Family Remote
Model SST-659
 Easy to use, easy to set-up.
 Full control of any component.
 One-touch Activity Buttons.
 Total PVR Control.
 No Macro programming required.
 2MB Flash Memory.
 Super Bright Backlight.
 Free TV Listings for 2 months.
 SST inside.
 $199.00(USD)  

Here's a link for anyone who might be interested in checking it out:

http://www.harmonyremote.com/

Regards,

NB

8thnerve

« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2003, 09:53 pm »
I haven't had a chance to use the newer 659, but it looks busier than the 768.  The 768 is a great remote.  Easy to use, smart, and small.  And it doesn't have an annoying touch screen that is hard to use unless you are staring at it and pressing slow.  I highly recommend the Harmony remotes.  There is nothing that I have needed to do no matter how complicated that this remote wasn't able to pick up immediately.  So the answer is, I'm sure the new more inexpensive one will be great.  I personally like the jog dial selection, it is fast and trouble-free, so I would go with the 768.  You'll find retailers that will discount them anyway.

Either way, enjoy.

nature boy

« Reply #2 on: 7 Sep 2003, 10:20 pm »
Thanks, I've found an authorized retailer that sells the 768 for $209, so I'll probably go that way.

NB