2-channel HT

martyo

Re: 2-channel HT
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2007, 06:50 pm »
I think I'm just a fan of  simplicity, and sometimes it just seems more logical for me to have a simple, but excellent, 2 or 2.1 channel set-up.

Right there with ya. 

Right there against ya. 

But i respect what works for you! 

Robin

Yeah Robin, I can see that, I just looked up your system.  :lol: :icon_lol: :lol:

Wayner

« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2007, 10:30 pm »
I get "surround sound" using my vinyl thru a AVA T8, the 170EX and an old pair of Dynaco A25XL's. Some 2 channel vinyl is loaded with surround material. Just have to have the right stuff to get it to the speakers.

:D

ajzepp

« Reply #22 on: 10 Oct 2007, 11:57 pm »
I get "surround sound" using my vinyl thru a AVA T8, the 170EX and an old pair of Dynaco A25XL's. Some 2 channel vinyl is loaded with surround material. Just have to have the right stuff to get it to the speakers.

:D

See, that's just it...the more you dial in your system, and the more you do to improve the quality, the less it feels like just two speakers. I got the DeVores and they sounded great. I upgraded my amp and they sounded better. I just treated my room and it took another few steps forward (big steps). I put a Transcendence 8 in here next, I just don't know if I need to fart around with multi-channel anymore...

When Frank says he just runs some analog interconnects from his cable box to his gear and the Salks and it sounds phenomenal, I believe him 100%! When I went to audition the DeVores for the first time, it was a near-ideal listening room with tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment. Out of curiosity, I asked my dealer to put on a DVD just so I could hear how the speakers performed with a movie soundtrack. Well he doesn't have surround sound, just a ridiculous 2-channel rig...but to hear Lord of the Rings over that kind of system was pretty amazing. Now I'm certainly not going to run out and buy some $40k Oasis monoblock amps or a $30k preamp. But I'm a preamp and a better source away from having a pretty solid 2-channel rig, and I would bet I can get pretty close to how things sounded when I heard LOTR.

I guess the only real way to figure this out for myself would be to just get the preamp in the chain and see how it sounds.  :D

ajzepp

« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2007, 06:49 pm »
Is there some sort of way to have a volume control/HT bypass option on a T-8, or would I just use the tape loop?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2007, 01:36 am »
I think I'm just a fan of  simplicity, and sometimes it just seems more logical for me to have a simple, but excellent, 2 or 2.1 channel set-up.

Right there with ya.  :thumb:

Right there against ya.  :thumbdown:

But i respect what works for you!  :thumb:

Robin

Well put! :lol:  Seriously though, while I'm a MC kinda guy I think a good 2.1 system would be preferable to a mediocre 5.1. :)