Would Schottkys be a worthwhile upgrade for the Cornet?

Bill Epstein

Have some 4amp 600 volt Fairchild Stealth in the drawer, wondering about using them.

anumber1

• Have boxcars - Do travel
    • AudioEnhancements
Re: Would Schottkys be a worthwhile upgrade for the Cornet?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2007, 01:04 pm »
For the heater supply?

I don't think you would notice the difference.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2007, 03:43 pm »
I agree that anything more than the 1N5821 that Jim uses for the heater supply isn't warranted. If you were designing a high voltage supply from the ground up and couldn't use your rectifier tube of choice then the new Schottky's or Stealth rectifiers would be fine for a solid state ps. I like tube high voltage supplies in tube preamps/amps but that's just me.

I would save the 4amp 600volt Fairchild Stealth's for another design  :wink:.

Best,
Anand.

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2007, 05:11 pm »
The Cornet(2) already has schottky diodes.  So yes, it is ok to replace them with other schottkys, as long as they can handle the current and voltage ratings. 

jh

anumber1

• Have boxcars - Do travel
    • AudioEnhancements
« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2007, 12:27 pm »
So what is the story on the Schottkys in the Cornet2? Do they improve the CCS supply? Quite curious now...

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2007, 10:27 pm »
The schottkys are in the heater circuit.  I use them to make dc out of ac.  They were chosen for their low forward voltage drop, which allowed me to make the following 3.0 ohm or 1.8 ohm resistor as large as possible.  That RC filter makes a big difference in ripple.  Using normal diodes would make that resistor value much smaller, hence a lot less filtering action.

The CCS are rather independent of this.  The 1k - 470uF filter reduces the ripple even further to make sure the output current stays constant. 

jh

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2007, 11:19 pm »
There has been some postulations that crappy diodes (not saying the stock ones are) induce a spray of HF crap that gets coupled to your B+ through the coupling capacitance of your secondary.  So I would think it wouldn't hurt to try nice ones and it just might help.