Line Array Room Requirements

ebag4

Line Array Room Requirements
« on: 28 Sep 2007, 03:12 pm »
Gentlemen, thanks for starting another excellent circle!

I have considered Line Arrays in the past.  I am currently happily listening to OBs but would like to try a set of DIY LAs.  However when reading various threads concerning LAs it seems apparent that those with smaller listening spaces need not apply.  Is this true or can a line array be designed to properly load a smaller room?

Thanks,
Ed

Mike B.

Re: Line Array Room Requirements
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2007, 03:56 pm »
I think one of the major advantages of a line source is the way it can pressurize a room with sound. It would be overkill in a small room IMO.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2007, 04:07 pm »
Gentlemen, thanks for starting another excellent circle!

I have considered Line Arrays in the past.  I am currently happily listening to OBs but would like to try a set of DIY LAs.  However when reading various threads concerning LAs it seems apparent that those with smaller listening spaces need not apply.  Is this true or can a line array be designed to properly load a smaller room?

Thanks,
Ed

By small what size do you mean? For the arrays that I've designed you can sit as close a 7 ft. away, maybe even 6 ft. in some cases. I do think that having the side walls 2-4 ft. away is better and in some rooms that may not be possible.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2007, 04:09 pm »
I think one of the major advantages of a line source is the way it can pressurize a room with sound. It would be overkill in a small room IMO.

When did overkill ever stop an audiophile?  :lol: :lol:

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2007, 04:10 pm »

Overkill maybe in terms of volume and output capability but the bass loading is much better because of the woofers being different path lengths from the room boundaries.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2007, 04:33 pm »
When did overkill ever stop an audiophile?  :lol: :lol:

I'm with Woodsyi.  :P     Isn't overkill and audiophile an oxymoron? 

Cheers  :rock:

Mike B.

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2007, 06:08 pm »
What am I dealing with here? The wild bunch? :icon_lol: In a small room, like around 12x14, a point source would be much easier to set up and live with IMO. Yes, bass will be better for the line source, but first, second, third reflections will be more of a problem.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2007, 06:20 pm »
What am I dealing with here? The wild bunch? :icon_lol: In a small room, like around 12x14, a point source would be much easier to set up and live with IMO. Yes, bass will be better for the line source, but first, second, third reflections will be more of a problem.

Sounds like an excuse to treat the room.   :lol: :lol:

Mike B.

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2007, 06:59 pm »

Sounds like an excuse to treat the room.   :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Yep, we should all be placed in padded rooms.

walkern

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2007, 08:32 pm »
I've got a pair of Al's (Raw Acoustics) RA-8 speakers on the long wall of a 12 by 14 foot room, I am listening about 8 feet away from them, and they work extremely well.  Technically they aren't a line array (WWWMTMWWW) which may be why they are okay in this limited space.  The mids and highs (because of MTM arrangement at the center of the speaker) give them a point source effect and the 6 woofers (3 above and 3 below) load the bass into the room very nicely.  The woofers are all small, so that may be another reason why they work well in a compact room.  Just a thought.

Neil