SP1.7 upgradeability

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP1.7 upgradeability
« Reply #20 on: 3 Oct 2007, 11:20 pm »
James,
How about offering some kind of trade-in program if we can't upgrade the sp1.7? Lexicon did it and it was a big plus for them and their customers. just an idea?

tony

Hi,

Yes we are considering all possibilities to support our customers.  I just do not know until we actually are working with the new Digital engines what will be possible. The SP1 then the SP1.7 then the SP2 have all been based around the ability to move forward as the technology changes. Recognize that the SP1 is an 8 year old design and we are looking at ways to improve on it. In an Ideal world we can adapt the new Digital technologies to the older processors but at this point I do not want to commit or mislead people. We simply do not know.

From what I am understanding so far the HDMI hi-res DD and  DTS audio formats involve a completely different digital architecture, all new software and issues with copy code and HDMI connections.

So I am confident that we will be able to come out with a new processor that sets the standard for HD AUDIO but I do not believe we should make promises or mislead our customers that we currently have all the answers.

james