SP1.7 upgradeability

jal2007

SP1.7 upgradeability
« on: 26 Sep 2007, 12:02 pm »
Hi James,

Will the owner of SP1.7 be able to upgrade to the new HD format & HDMI1.3 when they become available? Like the owner of SP1 & Sp1.7 can upgrade to SP2.

So I pressume that SP1.7 or SP2 will also upgradeable to new HD format and HDMI1.3 in the future. Just curious

Thanks

Regards,
JAL

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: SP1.7 upgradeability
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2007, 12:33 pm »
Hi James,

Will the owner of SP1.7 be able to upgrade to the new HD format & HDMI1.3 when they become available? Like the owner of SP1 & Sp1.7 can upgrade to SP2.

So I pressume that SP1.7 or SP2 will also upgradeable to new HD format and HDMI1.3 in the future. Just curious

Thanks

Regards,
JAL

Hi Jal,

At this point I am really not sure. We had a number of meetings at CEDIA last month and it looks like the HD chips etc. will be available in March 08.

Our intention is to build an AUDIO ONLY processor using these new chips and circuits first and then work backwards to see what would be involved in implementing the new digital circuitry into the SP2 chassis.

james

PS -rumour at the show was 1440P is coming?

jal2007

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2007, 12:45 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks for your quick respond.

Will you consider to implement the new digital circuitry into the SP1.7 chassis as well or just SP2 ONLY?

Sorry to ask this question again

Thanks

Regards,
JAL

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2007, 01:08 pm »
Hi,

I think at this point it looks like the SP2 only due to the number of adapter boards and getting them all to integrate properly. I do not want to mislead here though as only after we see the new HD chips and circuit requirements and have a chance to work with them will I be able to give you a definite answer.

james

jal2007

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2007, 01:13 pm »
Thanks for your fast respond as always  :D

My last question:
what will happen if I upgrade my SP1.7 to SP2 now; then, will it possible to upgrade it to the new audio format?

Thanks

Regards,
JAL

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2007, 01:20 pm »
Hi Jal,

Not sure.  The big issue is how the new digital circuits will integrate in the older chassis's.  In other words will the new digital boards have 'pin to pin' compatibility. Also the software to run the new HD systems may be totally different as well.

So I would not spend money now - wait and see where all this goes first.

james

jal2007

« Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2007, 01:30 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks for your advice and replies

Regards,
JAL

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2007, 01:25 am »
Hi James,

Thanks

Regards,
JAL

Hi Jal,

At this point I am really not sure. We had a number of meetings at CEDIA last month and it looks like the HD chips etc. will be available in March 08.

Our intention is to build an AUDIO ONLY processor using these new chips and circuits first and then work backwards to see what would be involved in implementing the new digital circuitry into the SP2 chassis.

james

HDMI 1.3 can support 1440p.  James would not an upgraded SP1.7 have the same digital boards as an SP2?  Would it really require new digital circuitry vs. just a connector to the digital board and software upgrades (I assume that the processor in the SP2 can handle the new audio formats or would it require a new processor)?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2007, 01:55 am »
Hi James,

Thanks

Regards,
JAL

Hi Jal,

james

HDMI 1.3 can support 1440p.  James would not an upgraded SP1.7 have the same digital boards as an SP2?  Would it really require new digital circuitry vs. just a connector to the digital board and software upgrades (I assume that the processor in the SP2 can handle the new audio formats or would it require a new processor)?

Hi Phil,

From what the engineering guys tell me the Digital engine for the new HD audio formats are totally different than the current processors in the SP2. Also the HDMI interface is totally different as well.

Until we get the hardware in house most of it is a guessing game at this point.

james

« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2007, 09:32 am by James Tanner »

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2007, 02:39 am »
James, I think I understand now.  The SP2 will then need a workover on the digital side to handle the new formats.  After that is done the process of examining how to incorporate it in an upgrade needs to commence.  They have HDMI splitters now that are fairly reasonable so I'd assume that is what will be needed to incorporate into the SP2 once the other stuff gets worked out so that the audio pins can go to the processor and someone can take the other output and send it to a video display.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2007, 08:07 am »
James, I think I understand now.  The SP2 will then need a workover on the digital side to handle the new formats.  After that is done the process of examining how to incorporate it in an upgrade needs to commence.  They have HDMI splitters now that are fairly reasonable so I'd assume that is what will be needed to incorporate into the SP2 once the other stuff gets worked out so that the audio pins can go to the processor and someone can take the other output and send it to a video display.

That's my hope as well.

james

MOZ

« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2007, 10:57 am »
Hi James,

Any idee when your "new" processor would be ready/available ?
Let's say, before summer... Xmass or after (worst, i might go to the "enemy" in that last case !!!) ?
Time is running against you... people want HD decoding you know !

Thanks for your answer !
MOZ

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2007, 11:01 am »
Hi James,

Any idee when your "new" processor would be ready/available ?
Let's say, before summer... Xmass or after (worst, i might go to the "enemy" in that last case !!!) ?
Time is running against you... people want HD decoding you know !

Thanks for your answer !
MOZ

Hi Moz,

Time to go to the enemy I guess.
We are still at least a year away.

james

MOZ

« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2007, 11:28 am »
 :|

That's a shame...
Anyway, if i decide to switch to an other pre, i won't be able to leave the "bryston 2ch" (that i love), so i'll probably go for a BP26 for my CDs   :wink:

jal2007

« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2007, 12:09 pm »
Hi James,

Any reason why taking so long if the chip will be ready in March 2008

Thanks

Regards,
JAL

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2007, 02:29 pm »
Hi James,

Any reason why taking so long if the chip will be ready in March 2008

Thanks

Regards,
JAL

Hi Jal,

I just know from past experience that the time it takes to develop new software and trouble shoot takes longer than we usually estimate.

james

jal2007

« Reply #16 on: 3 Oct 2007, 03:03 pm »
fair enough

lossless

« Reply #17 on: 3 Oct 2007, 07:51 pm »
quite frankly i am not impressed by the lack of up-gradability of the 1.7 or for the lack of attention to previous models by Bryston.   :nono:

what happened to "EASY FUTURE UPGRADES"??

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 3 Oct 2007, 08:24 pm »
quite frankly i am not impressed by the lack of up-gradability of the 1.7 or for the lack of attention to previous models by Bryston.   :nono:

what happened to "EASY FUTURE UPGRADES"??
\

Simply put - the technology changes to a point where upgrading is more costly than buying new.

james

pantone172

« Reply #19 on: 3 Oct 2007, 10:30 pm »
James,
How about offering some kind of trade-in program if we can't upgrade the sp1.7? Lexicon did it and it was a big plus for them and their customers. just an idea?

tony