pmc ib1-they are more than just a black box

mclsound

pmc ib1-they are more than just a black box
« on: 25 Sep 2007, 09:08 am »
hi adam,well i just picked up my ib1's and with your permission i would like to give a truthfull review,although i may not have a chance to listen to them untill the wknd.i must say i was quite floored when i got them to see the pmc/bryston site has changed,being i only live 3hrs from bryston,i will talk more on this latter. As u know they are a studio quality style speaker that is also sold for the livingroom,let me know Adam.

thanks John

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
Re: pmc ib1-they are more than just a black box
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2007, 09:40 am »
mclsound !

PMC ib1's !!   You're darn straight those are more than just a black box.    You simply must write about them, please.  Take photos too - i know they're large, but never seeing them in person i don't really have any idea how big they truly are.

For those who haven't run into them, the PMC ib1's are a studio monitor speaker which some people have taken to using as 'home' speakers.  Interesting technologies are incorporated:  Transmission line, 'flat' woofer, massive midrange 'dome tweeter style'.  Supremely heavy.

They're very high end, very highly respected and very expensive!

Niceone mclsound, i'll love to hear what you think about them.

What will you be comparing them to?

Cheers,
/A

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/product.php?mode=view&pid=39

mclsound

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2007, 11:44 pm »
thanks Adam,let me just say,they are BIG,BAD,and BEAUTIFUL,i will try to get some comparason photo's,but i will have to email them..

thanks John

mclsound

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2007, 11:09 pm »
hi Adam,i have some pictures,but i will have to e mail them to u....i am new to computer

thanks john

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2007, 07:20 am »
Email away John!   If you wish, i'll post them right here.

What do you think of them??  Are you happy?  Have your neighbors called the cops on you ?? :)

mclsound

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2007, 10:27 pm »
hi Adam,did u get the pics(bad hair day!),i dont have much time right now ,BUT, i will say this ''they kick ass'',  I LOVE THEM....i will write later.

thanks John

mclsound

« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2007, 01:15 am »
PMC IB1's,big?,well lets just say it took 2 of us to load these double boxed beauties into a 1997 Monte Carlo,the 20'' Sound Anchor stands,not only look good but weigh almost the same as the ib1's(80lbs approx. ea.).finally i get everything hooked up,a Bryston 14bsst amp,Anthem AVM30 pre/pro,Raysonic CD128,and a small assortment of balanced cables.Being in the DJ business,i had several current songs available,hip hop,dance,new and old,also some Led Zepplin,ZZ TOP,AC/DC,.....LOTS OF CHOICES...my first choice was a new dance track,i wanted the better recordings first. WELL what can i say,these speakers just asked for more..the sound was clear,crystal clear,the hi-hats were perfect,the snare snapped out of the mid flawlessly and the toms belted,just simply BELTED,being a drummer for 25yrs,this is how i define sound,with the drum kit...might i add ,i also use a Paradigm Servo 15 subwoofer...next up-Led Zepplin,i will admit the sound quality was not the same,but it was the result that mattered to me,and this band had results,this was a rock concert in my livingroom,....i didn't have all day but i had enough time to finally come to one conclusion...THESE ARE THE BEST SPEAKERS I HAVE EVER OWNED....i read all the reviews on PMC and i love their product,home or studio,these are some serious speakers..i recently auditioned B&W 802D's and Krell Resolution 2's,all excellent,but the ib1's i bought unheard,hell i never even heard any PMC's,but spec's,reviews and most of all my cousin had PMC 0B1's and said they were the best he ever owned!!!RISKY,yes but my gut instincts said yes...this weekend i will get a chance to open up the AVM30's menu and see what we can do...........next week

thanks John

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2007, 01:46 pm »
And here's the shots of John's monster monitors:

I'm more than a little jealous, John  :thumb:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2007, 02:54 am »
A couple of years ago, I heard the PMC OB1's and FB1+'s at a local dealer. I was really impressed with the bass quality, and overall sound. I had never heard transmission line speakers before. They do bass so well.

I've heard good things about their pro audio monitors as well.

It's nice to hear from someone who actually owns a pair.

Congrats on your news speakers.  :thumb:

Cheers

mclsound

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2007, 02:15 pm »
hi Denny,this is round 2,and i must say that the anthem has its share of tuning toys,big/small,sub1 or 2 or super,x-over points,filters,room size and distance,analog or digital,balanced or unbalanced,....etc.
first off,i love my 15'' sub,secondly,i love a balanced system,thirdly,i like tuning toys,i recently had a chance to try a VAC Auricle tube preamp,and it sounded very good,but was not balanced..so i am sure i will have a long road ahead of me before i stop trying to hear and review gidgets and gadgets and the people that build and distribute these products,because some are good and some are just not worth the trouble..also not everybody listens to Mozart on the 5:32 overture,blah blah....a good recording,this is what matters,the satisfying undistorted notes that shake our lives is what it is about..10 watts or 1000 watts,it doesn't matter as long as it makes ''YOU'' happy....so what did i hear this weekend..

Madonna-Vogue,Express Yourself
Right Said Fred-I'm Too Sexy
the best of the Doobie Brothers(e.d.)
Led Zepplin-Fool in the Rain
AC/DC-High Voltage(entire disk)(e.d.)
best of Diana Krall(e.d.)

after receiving and installing my 1.5'' Sound Anchor spikes from Bob,the stands were cleaned and adjusted WOW,they sound great,i guess,so many adjustments were done all at once,the AVM30 was opened up and changed up a little on the normal specs such as sub 1,distance,x-over 70hz,input and speaker levels,etc.
some of the artists mentioned had some of the best sound i heard this wknd,sonically they satisfied my need for clean and clear SPL...the IB1's not only impressed me,but also anyone who came through my door,the14bsst showed its true colours also(RED clip lights at 85% of the volume in my custom setup),....
OVERALL,not bad ,but being human we always strive to better ourselves,so i will start with the preamp and go from there,more to come.....thanks Adam

John