Which Is The Better Amp, Bryston 4B-ST or 3B-SST?

ryder

Which Is The Better Amp, Bryston 4B-ST or 3B-SST?
« on: 23 Sep 2007, 09:39 am »
I've tried to look at the first thirty pages or so on this site but cannot find any similiar threads on this topic. I guess I can do a search on this one but previous attempts had been proven futile, so I hope someone can help me out with this.

Power ratings aside, which amp will be an overall better unit, the older 4B-ST or 3B-SST? I am guessing the 3B-SST will be slightly better than the 4B-ST probably in area of refinement? Is the sonic difference between the two units fairly noticeable, or just slightly audible?

The 4B-ST(250W/8ohms;400W/4ohms) is a much more powerful unit than the 3B-SST(150W/8ohms;250W/4ohms) so the former may have a slight advantage there.

I would appreciate if folks who had made direct comparisons between these two units could chime in.

Thanks. :D

Phil A

Re: Which Is The Better Amp, Bryston 4B-ST or 3B-SST?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2007, 02:00 pm »
I don't think there is any comparison between the units.  I've owned a 4BST (and for a brief period I also had old power pac 120s - basically the 3BST) and when my friend worked at the high end shop I did deliveries/installs with him and noticed how much better the SST series was.  I had gone to another brand as Bryston was slow getting into HT and then got back in after the SST series.

brucek

« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2007, 02:57 pm »
Is the sonic difference between the two units fairly noticeable, or just slightly audible?

Go for the extra power. The specs are too close to even talk about.

brucek

john1970

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2007, 03:10 pm »
Ryder,

I would highly consider the newer 4B SST in addition to the two amps that you are considering.  As I recall the difference in list retail price between the 4B SST and the 3B SST is very small.  I would also consider purchasing a used unit from Audiogon or a local dealer.  The 4B SST has much larger transformers and capacitor storage when compared to the 4B ST or the 3B SST. 

If you want to save money on a new Bryston Amp definitley go with the professional amps.  Professional dealers tend to offer much greater discounts that the consumer dealers. 

Best of luck,

John

ryder

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2007, 03:22 pm »
Thanks for all replies. I guess it's either I consider the 4B-SST or add another similiar amp to my Plinius SA-100mk3 as monoblocks. Something to think about.

Sasha

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2007, 03:37 pm »
You have to hear it.
SST series is “better” sounding in opinions of many, mine included.
However, the argument of “the more power the better” is also very valid.
To answer your question “Is the sonic difference between the two units fairly noticeable”, yes, it is, as far as you are comparing apples to apples, e.g. 4B ST versa 4B SST in the same system (I heard both in multiple systems).
Base on that, I would suspect that 3B SST and 4B ST would show even bigger difference.
But all this means nothing when discussed in isolation.
ST can fail miserably sonically in your system (meaning you will not be happy), with your pre-amp and speakers, or it can perform exceptionally well.
I have heard both situations, where either 4B ST or SST were producing heavenly sound or were very boring and mechanically sounding.
In those situations were it was not good, the “culprit” was not simply the speakers or the amp.
For example, I auditioned 4B SST driving Wilson Sophia II, did not like it a bit, yet Sophia’s sounded very good with McIntosh 500W/8ohm monoblocks (I am always talking in the context of the same system/room/time). This told me something about advertised efficiency of Wilson speakers and claims to be tube friendly, as well as synergy.
On the other hand, 4B SST worked very well with PMC OB1 and IB2.
Another example, 4B SST and 14B SST, driving a range of B&W speakers (704, 804, 802), did not like it at all.
But the same 4B SST with PMC OB1 and IB2 was very good. And 14B SST with IB2, that was some performance.
If you cannot audition and must buy blind, list the rest of your system, someone with direct experience may chime in.
Otherwise, going by specs, or by what someone says out of context, is shot in the dark.
Finally, with the caveats mentioned, your best bet is 3-4 years old 4B SST, as it appears to be within your budget, and you decided on Bryston in that category.

ryder

« Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2007, 05:10 am »
Thanks for the advice Sasha. I am well aware that matching is important and that PMC speakers will sound great with Bryston electronics. I currently drive the LB1 Signature with a Plinius SA-100Mk3 and was contemplating of either getting another Plinius and run in monoblocks, or a substantially powerful Bryston amp like the 4B-SST. I do like the PLinius though and this had made the decision a bit tougher. Will see how it goes.

Bob Reynolds

« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2007, 06:38 pm »
Ryder, as I'm sure you're aware, if you bridge a stereo amp into mono you have to be more aware of the impedance of the load. The amp now sees 8 ohm loads as 4 ohm loads.

Another approach would be to bi-amp with a powered subwoofer. High pass the main speakers and take the bass load off the amp and speakers. It's a win-win and typically less expensive than another amp.

Lancelot

« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2007, 11:27 pm »
I have owned a number of Bryston products including 2 different 3B ST's and now, a 3B SST. I consider the SST series to be significantly better-simply smoother, more refined and a larger soundstage.
The difference is enough that I would not use a 3B ST unless I listened only to rock music or for home theatre .