Hughes & Kettner amps?

lo mein

Hughes & Kettner amps?
« on: 3 Sep 2003, 07:07 pm »
Has any of you have any 1st handed experience with the  Hughes & Kettner guitar amps?

I need a new amp for my non bass guitars. Still keeping my 2 Vox (will keep these forever. The BEST guitar amps.), sold my Fender deluxe reverb, and Marshall.

Thanks.

jackman

Hughes & Kettner amps?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2003, 07:29 pm »
Lo,

Is that Vox an AC15 or 30?  I  like Vox amps but I love older Fender amps.  There is a company in my town named Victoria Amplifier Company that uses older (hard wired designs) from the Fender amps of the 50's including original transformers, NOS tubes, carbon resistors and baltic birch cabs with real laquered tweed covers.   They are a bit expensive but they are the only amps I have tried that match the tone of the old Fenders.  I hate the new fender tube amps (anything after the late 60's) about as much as I love the Fenders of the 50's.  Nothing too big because you have to play them loud to overdrive them.  I loved my Victoria 2012 because it was a nice 20 watt all tube amp modeled after the Fender Deluxe of the 50's.  Very sorry I sold it.

You make me miss playing guitar.  Been too wrapped up in building a stereo that I have neglected my guitar playing.  If you like the Vox, you may want to check out one of those cool Matchless amps.  Matchless is class A like the Vox (at least the REAL Vox amps).   It has a similar sound.

I checked out Billy Idol at the House of Blues last week.  His guitarist (Steve Stevens) was awesome.  He played several cool guitars including a nice tele, custom les paul, and several flaminko style acoustics.  He played everything through a Marshall stack.  The older Plexi Marshall stuff sure could rock hard.  If you like to play it loud (ala Slash), nothing sounds like that older Marshall gear.  I also love (LOVE) Mesa amps.  

J

mojoman

Hughes & Kettner amps?
« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2003, 07:54 pm »
I've played a 50 watt Victoria amp. They really are nice (and expensive) and have that sweet Fender clean tone and reverb.  Since I never really play out, I use an old early 70's Princeton reverb. It's only 11 watts but sounds real nice once it warms up.

lo mein

Hughes & Kettner amps?
« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2003, 02:27 am »
I never did warmed up to the Fender amp's sound. Have had my Fender deluxe reverbs in the closet since high school.  Tried it again not long ago. Still don't like it. The tone is too bright and shrill for my taste and style.

But I LOVE Fender's single coiled guitars and basses. Love the teles the most. I almost never use my paul for leads.

The Marshalls are just about useless, unless with the volume set at 9.  I have the old half stack.

My Vox are the The Royal Guardsman (U.K. Model), and the AC15.   The Vox's creamy clean tone just killed the Fenders.

BTW. Both my Fender and Marshall were real oldies. Not reissues.

Had a Mesa before too. Too much mid range. Don't like it either.

I was auditioning new amps. The finalists are the Hughes & Kettner, and the Laney.

jackman

Hughes & Kettner amps?
« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2003, 02:55 am »
Your Fender, no offense, is nothing like the cool tweed (the real ones) from the 50's.  Those amps are straight SRV or early Eric Clapton.  Nothing has the cool sound of a nicely overdriven Fender amp (Say a Deluxe) from the 50's.  I love Vox amps and other class A's like Matchless, but my favorites will always be the old Fenders.  The new Victorias (although insanely expensive and hand-built) are he closest thing on the planet to the old fenders.  The newer Fender amps (anything from the late 60's to date) are a different animal.  

I wish you lived closer!  I'd take you to Make n' Music in Chicago.  Also, Chicago Music Exchange.  They have more old Fender and Gibson guitars than any other store I have ever seen.  I've been unplugged for a couple years.  Love my Martin D-18VR...but I miss playing loud!

J