Isabella - preliminary info

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Isabella - preliminary info
« Reply #20 on: 19 Sep 2007, 02:27 pm »
I've been reading all of these arguments, complaints and suggestions with amusement and thinking about how I think the Mona Lisa should be blonde and a full length aspect might have been more effective and maybe DaVinci should have painted several versions so we could have a choice. Didn't that fool know that lots of different people have different needs and different tastes?
Alas, you just can't get chow mein in a fine Italian Restaurant.
The audience should shut up and let the performer get on with the show. Afterward you can look around and see if others are applauding and determine on that basis whether or not you liked it.

budbrew

« Reply #21 on: 19 Sep 2007, 04:31 pm »
I for one would buy the pre with DAC. I prefer that option. But I just bought a car and once the audio fund rebuilds I'll go for the Isabella. I enjoy Vinnie's work daily (Sig 30) and I'm looking forward to continue to tag along for the fun ride.

My only comment to add is that if the charging wall wart for the Isabella is as large as the one for the Sig 30 it could be a challenge to fit them both in the wall or power strip or whatnot, also along with computer wall warts (for the USB DAC input). Right now I use the Sig 30 wall wart with a power strip and when plugged in it covers 3 out of 4 outlets.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2007, 06:14 pm by budbrew »

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2007, 12:23 pm »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #23 on: 20 Sep 2007, 01:10 pm »
I for one would buy the pre with DAC. I prefer that option. But I just bought a car and once the audio fund rebuilds I'll go for the Isabella. I enjoy Vinnie's work daily (Sig 30) and I'm looking forward to continue to tag along for the fun ride.

My only comment to add is that if the charging wall wart for the Isabella is as large as the one for the Sig 30 it could be a challenge to fit them both in the wall or power strip or whatnot, also along with computer wall warts (for the USB DAC input). Right now I use the Sig 30 wall wart with a power strip and when plugged in it covers 3 out of 4 outlets.

Hi budbrew,

The new Signature 30.2, 70.2, and Isabella units will feature a new charger... a beefy 24V charger that uses a standard power cord that plugs into the charger's IEC jack.  From there, the charger unit outputs a cable that plugs into the product.  These are not wall-worts, so there will be no blockage of outlets.  :)

Here is a pic:

This charger charges 4x faster than the charger that came with the Signature 30, and it also has a universal input voltage (100 - 240Vac, 50/60Hz) so there will no longer be the need for buying a different charger for overseas customers.  All they would need to supply is the power cord that has the correct AC plug on the cord for their outlet. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

budbrew

« Reply #24 on: 20 Sep 2007, 06:54 pm »
Awesome, thanks guys.

R Browne

« Reply #25 on: 22 Sep 2007, 03:41 am »
I've been reading all of these arguments, complaints and suggestions with amusement and thinking about how I think the Mona Lisa should be blonde and a full length aspect might have been more effective and maybe DaVinci should have painted several versions so we could have a choice. Didn't that fool know that lots of different people have different needs and different tastes?
Alas, you just can't get chow mein in a fine Italian Restaurant.
The audience should shut up and let the performer get on with the show. Afterward you can look around and see if others are applauding and determine on that basis whether or not you liked it.

"If you're trying to please everyone, then you're not going to make anything that is honestly yours, I don't think, in the long run.”  Viggo Mortenson

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #26 on: 23 Sep 2007, 12:41 pm »
"If you're trying to please everyone, then you're not going to make anything that is honestly yours, I don't think, in the long run.”  Viggo Mortenson

Hi R Browne,

This is very true, and there is no way that I'll be able to please *everyone* with any product that I offer.  I knew this before I even started RWA.

Quote from: macrojack

I can't help but wonder what DaVinci would post if he had a "forum" back in his day and had to field questions about a blonde Mono Lisa  :lol:  :icon_lol:  :duh:  :roll:  Wink2

Such banter is priceless!

Vinnie

contrarian

« Reply #27 on: 23 Sep 2007, 02:26 pm »
It is rumored that DaVinci did in fact, have requests for the Mona Lisa in blond and because he was such a great inventor, they even requested the ability to switch modes.  Brunette for critical viewing and blond for casual/pleasure viewing. 

Looking forward to your next invention Vinnie!

-Richard-

« Reply #28 on: 24 Sep 2007, 04:09 am »
Hi Vinnie ~

In fact Leonardo did paint another version of the Mona Lisa. You may find this hard to believe but
Leonardo actually painted a nude version of the Mona Lisa. I learned of this fairly recently.
It is a fact. It's where-a-bouts has not been publicly disclosed. So its survival since it was painted is
unclear. Here is recent discussion about it:

A nude version of the Mona Lisa is being shown in Milan. The naked portrait - titled the Monna Vanna, and complete with the model's famous enigmatic smile - was painted in 1515 by Leonardo da Vinci's pupil, Andrea Salai. Art historians say that it was not only inspired by Leonardo, but is almost certainly based on a lost original by the artist himself.

Prof. Flavio Caroli, curator of the Milan exhibition, says: "I am convinced that the portrait was painted by Salai from an idea by Leonardo, who was having fun with the famous image he had created ten years before."

Prof. David Brown, Curator of Italian Renaissance Painting at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., added that the original naked Mona Lisa probably forms the "missing link" in a whole series of erotic portraits of men and women by Leonardo and his followers.

The nude Mona Lisa may be the impetus for the great Spanish painter Goya to paint 2 versions of the
maja... the clothed and naked maja (it has been suggested she was the Duchess of Alba).

Warmest Regards ~ Richard

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 24 Sep 2007, 12:23 pm »
In fact Leonardo did paint another version of the Mona Lisa. You may find this hard to believe but
Leonardo actually painted a nude version of the Mona Lisa. I learned of this fairly recently.
It is a fact. It's where-a-bouts has not been publicly disclosed. So its survival since it was painted is unclear. Here is recent discussion about it:

Hi Richard,

Thanks for sharing... I was unaware of this.  Sounds like Leonardo's followers craved a little "customization" of the original!  Wink2

Best regards,

Vinnie

pardales

« Reply #30 on: 22 Oct 2007, 12:39 am »
Any update on the Isabella?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #31 on: 22 Oct 2007, 11:31 pm »
All,

Here are some updates on the Isabella:

-- I am working on an adjustable gain feature (most likely 0, 6, and 12dB switchable settings... possible even 18dB) so the Isabella will be able to match well with different systems.

-- Play time on batteries will be limited in the approx. 6 hours continuous range, but I have decided that I will have a switch that will allow for use with AC power or battery.  Initially I didn't want to do this, but I now realize from much customer feedback that this would be very desirable. 

-- The dac board in the Isabella will be separate from the preamp board, so there will be an option of the Isabella offered without the built-in non-oversampling dac with USB, Coax, and Optical digital inputs. 

-- For the head-fi crowd, I am looking into offering a built-in headphone amp as an option (I will be offering a dedicated headphone amp based on this design in early 2008)! 

-- Pricing is still to be determined. 

-- While I would really like to have the Isabella in production later next month, it may take a little longer.  I will keep you all updated and I suspect to have more details in the next few weeks.  I promise you that  Isabella will be WELL-WORTH the wait!  aa

Thanks for all your interest!

Vinnie

pardales

« Reply #32 on: 22 Oct 2007, 11:55 pm »
I appreciate the update. It sounds like the Isabella DAC can be separated from the Isabella PRE. Will you offer these as separate products (stand alone boxes if you will) or will it be just the PRE and you can take or leave the DAC option?

Please accept my curiosity as nothing but genuine interest. :D

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #33 on: 23 Oct 2007, 12:25 am »
I appreciate the update. It sounds like the Isabella DAC can be separated from the Isabella PRE. Will you offer these as separate products (stand alone boxes if you will) or will it be just the PRE and you can take or leave the DAC option?

Please accept my curiosity as nothing but genuine interest. :D

Hi pardales,

I am definitely going to offer the Isabella with or without the built-in dac.  As far as selling the dac at its own product, this is certainly a possibility!  :wink:

Right now my efforts are with all the Signature 30 and 70 upgrades, as well as production of the new Signature 30.2 and 70.2 units... and getting Isabella into production!  8)

Best regards,

Vinnie

Bucky

« Reply #34 on: 23 Oct 2007, 02:05 am »
Woohoo DAC free!!... Can't wait to see the final prices! 

IronLion

« Reply #35 on: 23 Oct 2007, 02:21 am »
I don't know if I speak for everybody here, but I'm amazed that you are even mentioning getting into production of the Isabella this soon after the launch of your .2 amplifiers.  That is really a pleasant surprise, as I am very much looking forward to reading about the Isabella and maybe even trying one out.  Keep up the hard work Vinnie. 

-- While I would really like to have the Isabella in production later next month, it may take a little longer.  I will keep you all updated and I suspect to have more details in the next few weeks.  I promise you that  Isabella will be WELL-WORTH the wait!  aa

Loftprojection

« Reply #36 on: 23 Oct 2007, 12:44 pm »
Good info Vinnie.  Just a suggestion, I hope the AC feature will be just a connector which can be used to connect an external wallwart/power supply.  This way for most of your loyal customers that do not care about AC power, will not have to live with and pay for the complexity associated with AC.

This pre/DAC project is pretty exciting and you little devil keep exciting us by letting some info trickle down every so often!  aa 

jaspal kallar

« Reply #37 on: 23 Oct 2007, 03:46 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I was wondering what samples rates the dac would be able to play i.e would it be 44.1 only?

jaspal.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #38 on: 24 Oct 2007, 03:02 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

I was wondering what samples rates the dac would be able to play i.e would it be 44.1 only?

jaspal.

Hi Jaspal,

The SPDIF inputs (coax and optical) can accept up to 192kHz. 

For the USB input, I believe 48k is the max spec'd via the USB standard, but it has been tested to even work with 96k.

The dac used is a 16-bit dac.

Best regards,

Vinnie

ajzepp

« Reply #39 on: 24 Oct 2007, 05:39 pm »

2.  Provide a HT bypass which passes the signal from the HT processor to the amp passively.  Presumably this could be done without power, allowing extended TV and HT use.

Since Vinnie commented that he wasn't sure how many people would use this feature, I thought I'd throw out a vote for it myself. I've been considering everything from multi-channel analog preamps to higher end pre/pros for the next step in my system (my Outlaw Audio pre/pro is great for HT but unlistenable for music anymore), and I keep coming back to a high quality tube preamp. One with a built in audiophile quality DAC, extra set of outputs (so I can have my stereo subwoofers w/out messing with y-splitters) and a passive HT bypass loop would pretty much be the perfect preamp for my purposes.

I spend more time with HT, but my focus is on building a system that allows for the highest quality music reproduction, so I would need either a tape loop or HT bypass to achieve the goal of system integration.

I'm very excited to see how Isabella looks when she's ready to go out on the town :D