Would this 'exotic' wood make a good "Audiophile" rack?

95bcwh

Ok, I am able to pick up one particular "exotic" wood, the botanical name is "Eusideroxylon zwageri" or common name "BELIAN". They grow exclusively in the Borneo Island. They're one of the hardest and most durable wood in the world, hence they're called "ironwood". To prevent it from extinction, the governments of Borneo Island have stopped exporting and only allow limited local usage.

Their mechanical properties are impressive (extremely heavy!!!):
Air-Dry Density:  835- 1,185 kg/m3   
Shrinkage radial:   2.0 %
        tangential:  4.5%

(I think the density of maple wood is typically 620-750 kg/m3)

Here's an example of how it looks, this little chair weighs 75kg (167lb!!)

Now, I am able to ask a local carpenter to build me a 4-shelves rack, each shelf is 2" thick and 17"x24", all for around US$400 (including shipping to the US!) :drool: :drool: :drool:

Should I go for it??

best regards
barry

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: Would this 'exotic' wood make a good "Audiophile" rack?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2007, 01:12 am »
If he does good work, then that price is a bargain.

Cheers

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2007, 01:17 am »
Love the caramel/butterscotch colors in that bench.... :thumb:

95bcwh

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2007, 01:22 am »
Workmanship is not a problem. My father-in-law knows the carpenter and he's been in the furniture business for 30 years. He can do all kind of finish that I request. :thumb:

The price is indeed a bargain because:
(1)The labour cost is virtually nothing in that part of the world
(2)I have a friend who's moving his entire family to Houston this coming December with a 40 foot container, so I can sneak such a rack + a few amp stands in his container for free! :lol: :lol:

If he does good work, then that price is a bargain.

Cheers

denjo

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2007, 01:26 am »
Barry
I lived in Borneo for 12 years and am very familair with "belian". I have been trying to source the same wood for use as a shelf but alas without much success. They were extensively used for railway sleepers and building construction material. You got your self a great bargain! not to mention the sonic benefits to boon! Where did you get that piece of furniture?

95bcwh

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2007, 01:30 am »
You live in Borneo for 12 years? Which part of Borneo??? My father-in-law lives in Miri, Sarawak. You can find plenty of "BELIAN" there. But the thing is you can't bring it out of the Island now, it will confiscated by the custom for sure :( :cuss: :banghead:

Barry
I lived in Borneo for 12 years and am very familair with "belian". I have been trying to source the same wood for use as a shelf but alas without much success. They were extensively used for railway sleepers and building construction material. You got your self a great bargain! not to mention the sonic benefits to boon! Where did you get that piece of furniture?

denjo

« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2007, 01:35 am »
Barry
Kuching in Division 1. Miri is Division 3, if memory serves me right! You are right, the wood weighs a ton. The closest wood is of Australian origin (also very heavy) and used for outdoor furniture, being totally resilient to sun and rain! I forget the name but our Aussie friends on this forum might know what I'm talking about.

Now if only I could get some of that wood for my Altmann Attraction DAC!

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2007, 01:46 am »
The closest wood is of Australian origin (also very heavy) and used for outdoor furniture, being totally resilient to sun and rain! I forget the name but our Aussie friends on this forum might know what I'm talking about.

Jarrah.

Cheers

denjo

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2007, 02:03 am »
Daygloworange
That's the one! Thanks!

Best regards
Dennis