Alan Maher's Power Enhancer

mercman

Re: Alan Maher's Power Enhancer
« Reply #240 on: 5 Feb 2008, 08:34 pm »
The PE II will also add a little meat to the upper bass and lower mids.  At least one should be added to the circuit when the other 3 models are installed.

Alan,

I thought you discontinued the PE II.  Are they still available?

Steve

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #241 on: 5 Feb 2008, 09:35 pm »
Bill

How do you have it set up right now and what are you trying to do?  Give me a little info first.

I was just following your suggestion.  I have a PE and PEIV at the wall and 2 PE's on the BPT.  I also have 3 PE's on circuits on the same side of the panel as my dedicated circuit.  I have one PE I am going to add to my PC circuit which is on the other side of the panel.   :scratch:

HumanMedia

« Reply #242 on: 6 Feb 2008, 07:47 am »
Circuit Breaker > PE > PE II > PE III > PE IV > Choke

So is this the new rule-of-thumb for the best arrangement of multiple Power Enhancers?

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #243 on: 6 Feb 2008, 11:06 am »
Client interest kept the PE II alive.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #244 on: 6 Feb 2008, 11:07 am »
Bill you look fine...my suggestions are nothing but suggestions...each application reacts different.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #245 on: 6 Feb 2008, 11:09 am »
Carl

The short answer is no.  Tuning by ear is still the best overall solution.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #246 on: 6 Feb 2008, 08:37 pm »
We are talking about a parallel choke, right?  To save myself 50 million questions from the AA crowd I decided to use the model of the longer wire was for hot and the shorter was for neutral.  In reality it doesn't matter, because you are not wiring the choke in series and running a/c through the core.  Parallel couples and draws off the core without apply massive amounts of a/c.  A 120v circuit only applies 64mA to the core, which is next to nothing....220v applies 128mA. 

Tip....DO NOT ground the choke case.

jmichael

« Reply #247 on: 6 Feb 2008, 08:51 pm »
Since, you don't have any type of LED or such to verify that the PE products are working, ie; powered up, how does someone know when it isn't?

Update: I love the wonderful colors on my plasma with the PE additions. The best way to describe it, is that they are more realistic. It looks like I won't get a chance for any critical listening to the audio side until my houseguest leaves on February 24th. I haven't had a chance to listen to any music since the addition of a couple of more PE's on the circuit. I do have one PE on my source duplex outlet, for headphone listening in my bedroom, but do not hear any change there.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #248 on: 6 Feb 2008, 09:01 pm »
Besides a tonal and visual difference?  The PE is designed to last a lifetime.  In all seriousness, you can check the charge of the filter by plugging it into a lighted switch power strip.  Do not pug the power strip in the wall.  Turn the strip off before installing the PE.  After the PE is plugged in flip the power switch to the on position.  It should light up the switch for a couple of seconds while the filter charge drains.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #250 on: 6 Feb 2008, 09:51 pm »
Cool....sometimes creating a standard helps me with the questions in the long run...it's just easier to say the longer lead is hot...why get into a big debate over nothing.  :D

Grounding the case and jacking up the core inductance is another issue and a major no no.

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #251 on: 6 Feb 2008, 10:49 pm »
I am totally amazed on how the new PE's are settling in the sound and video is breathtaking.  Alan we can't wait until July for the PE V.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #252 on: 6 Feb 2008, 11:09 pm »
Sorry Bill...the PE V has a lot of labor involved...I just don't have the time to do them until I get off the road.  In the meantime, max out the non-a/v circuits with the PE and PE II models...Jen will have plenty in stock.  Each treated non-a/v circuit offers the system circuit major improvements as you begin to add 1, 2, and 3 filters per circuit.  Best to tackle the noisy appliance first, but after that start to tweak and tune the circuit to match the tuning of the a/v circuit.  The appliances will run more efficient, leak less noise, and the sub panel will cancel out harmonics because each circuit is now leaking the same frequency instead of 50 million harmonic frequencies.  Once the sub panel is tuned to one frequency, you just eliminated 90% of your house wide noise problems.  The other 10% is like outlet ringing and component power supply interaction which is handled by the other PE's installed on the a/v circuit.

HumanMedia

« Reply #253 on: 7 Feb 2008, 12:09 am »
Grounding the case and jacking up the core inductance is another issue and a major no no.

+10

Grounding my 193M's was toxic to my system.  Made it sound slow and bloated, with midrange sucked out.

mercman

« Reply #254 on: 8 Feb 2008, 12:54 am »
The 3 PE and PEIV have eliminated the loud transformer noise I was getting on my 2 PS Audio Premier Power Plants.  A PEIV is in series with one Premier, a PE in series with the other.  The other 2 PEs are on the same circuiit.  This is one circuiit for everything.

Overall sound is significantly improved. It will be very interesting when I add a PE II and III to the system.

Steve

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #255 on: 8 Feb 2008, 01:03 am »
Steve

After the II and III are added make sure you address the non-audio/video circuits.  The non circuits will couple to the a/v circuit and continue to enhance their performance.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #256 on: 8 Feb 2008, 12:04 pm »
Hey guys....Jen is yelling at me, I need to come up with some new customer reviews for the web site and the A-gon ad.  I would really appreciate blunt and honest reviews on the performance of the PE series and Studio Ref cables....hype is ok, but honesty helps me tweak and design better products....I can't fix it unless I know it's broke. 

Email reviews to me at: alanpmaher@alanmaherdesigns.com
                                audionutge@yahoo.com

Either email address is fine.

Thanks for all your support.

mercman

« Reply #257 on: 8 Feb 2008, 03:52 pm »
Alan,

Once I get the PE II and IIIs, I will write something for you.  I had a friend over the other day who knows my system well; he picked up the improvements with the PEs.  I didn't tell him anything before he  listened, but he heard the improvements immediately.  I'm going to take some PEs over to his house next week- I think you'll have a new customer.

I noticed that you are into computer DACs.  I am using a Wavelength Audio Crimson Silver USB DAC run from a  2.8Ghz iMac. 

Steve

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #258 on: 8 Feb 2008, 04:14 pm »
The 3 PE and PEIV have eliminated the loud transformer noise I was getting on my 2 PS Audio Premier Power Plants.  A PEIV is in series with one Premier, a PE in series with the other.  The other 2 PEs are on the same circuiit.  This is one circuiit for everything.

Overall sound is significantly improved. It will be very interesting when I add a PE II and III to the system.

Steve

Steve & Alan,

Having a PSA PPP I'm very interested in trying several PE's.  Please educate me, as I am not sure I can tell whether a PE is in series or paralel with a cicuit.  Are you talking about plugging a PE into an AC outlet on the wall and/or an AC outlet on the PPP itself?

Also, where can I get a Hammond choke?  Is it the final piece of component in the PE chain?

Thanks.

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #259 on: 8 Feb 2008, 04:56 pm »
Paul

The PE can be placed anywhere, which is why we designed it as a wall wart portable.  In the case of the PSA gear I would plug 2 or 3 at the wall along the circuit, and at least 1 on the output of the PSA gear.

The series vs. parallel debate is more a circuit tuning and isolation idea rather than a "end all" set up design.  The PE allows the user to tune the circuit pending it's location on the circuit.  You can play around with different outlet locations and hear multiple changes in the filter response as it interacts with the magnetic build up along the length of the in-wall wiring.  Placing the filter between the circuit breaker and system outlet (series placement) provides a brighter /  more dynamic / live sound quality compared to placing the filter after the system outlet (circuit breaker > system outlet > PE).  After (parallel) provides a warmer balance.

The PE "chain" is a total system designed for the entire home.  Each added PE couples to others installed on every circuit throughout the home and continues to lower the noise floor with each treated circuit.  Another part of our chain is our Studio Reference power cable series.  The power cord series offers the next step up in our filtering concept.

The Hammond choke is a analog filtering tweak.  I use a combination of the PE and choke in my commercial PLC designs that I do for studios.  The choke starts filtering around 5 KHz.