Alan Maher's Power Enhancer

WilliaBe

Re: Alan Maher's Power Enhancer
« Reply #1260 on: 23 Dec 2009, 09:23 pm »
I have 5 Infinity CBF's on the way (hopefully here today or Dec 24) and have decided on the following placement:

1 on main wire bundle feeding into breaker panel
1 on dedicated circuit breaker feeding A/V system
1 on AC receptacle just before the AC receptacle that feeds my system (As both slots full)
1 on AMP IEC
1 on AMP AC Male

The only one I am not sure of is the one on the AC receptacle just down from the receptacle that feeds my system? Trial and error will tell.

Anyways, i'll post some pics. Where are you planning to put your CBF's Silverlight?

silverlight

« Reply #1261 on: 23 Dec 2009, 09:35 pm »
I have them in a variety of locations and did do some trial and error.  I have 2 in the circuit panel attached to the incoming mains, I then have an array of Shakti Stones over the panel (if I hadn't already purchased those, would have used the large Infinities in their place).  I have them scattered throughout the home stuck to the wall just above outlets (both on the audio and non-audio circuits, with a focus on noisy outlets with appliances, computers, etc.).  In the audio room, have one above each outlet, one on each side of any non AM power cord, one on the router on top of where the CAT 7 cables are connected, large ones on each of the large transformers of my tube amps, 1 on my Mac Mini's linear PSU.  Don't have one on the DAC currently as it's now on battery power.  The last group that went in were 6 around the house on AC outlets.  Funnily enough the next day I was listening to my audio system, it was sounding like @#$@# and was wondering what happened to it....  forgot I had put the infinities in... a couple days later the system sounds very noticeably better, cleaner than pre-install (lower noise floor, better HF resolution and more definable soundstage).  Alan will always suggest taking notes b/c the settling in of these (and his other) devices is really a curious phenomenon.  If anyone isn't convinced these relatively inexpensive products (speaking about the whole line now) don't have an impact, just try out the infinities for a cheap thrill ride  :lol:   the worse the break-in I've found in the first day or two, generally the better it is coming out the other side.

silverlight

« Reply #1262 on: 23 Dec 2009, 09:44 pm »
Jen or Alan - application question.  now that I'm running my DAC off battery I have a spare Quantum IEC box & reference power cable.  Would these (in particular the Q IEC) have any utility in front of my Mac Mini in the audio rack (it's powered from a quite large and heavy Bolder Cable linear PSU in place of the stock switching PSU).ThxGeoff

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1263 on: 24 Dec 2009, 08:49 am »
Hi William-

Those placement suggestions are not suggestions... they are the exact placement for the product in order.  Always start at the wire bundle and work your way out to the power supply.

Silverlight-

Two things:  first, put a CBF over that battery power component.  The internal power supply is still creating a small amount of EM, and tuning the CBF above and below would be a very good suggestion for tuning the power supply.  Second, for the Q IEC, absolutely put it on the Mac Mini and give it a good 3-4 weeks to readjust the signature sound of the Boulder power supply.

As far as pictures... we've got them on the website!  If you'd like to contribute, I'm more than happy to post them as well.  Send all the pics you want!  As a reminder, we are closed as of midnight tonight PST.  We will be out of town for a couple weeks and will return after the holiday.  Have a wonderful holiday season, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and above all, be safe and happy!

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1264 on: 25 Dec 2009, 12:43 am »
Merry Christmas

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1265 on: 26 Dec 2009, 02:20 pm »
4 Infinity CBF Signature Filters: $144.00 (20% Off...You Save $36.00)

December 26-27 Only

Ship Date: December 28

WilliaBe

« Reply #1266 on: 4 Jan 2010, 10:14 pm »
Infinity CBF

I have recently purchased several infinity CBF’s from Alan Maher. Alan included a Signature Infinity CBF in my purchase as a Christmas bonus (thanks again Alan  :D). The Signature CBF feels a little heavier than the regular Infinity CBF, and the contents (crystals?) feel larger. Alan has mentioned the contents and formulation of the Signature CBF’s is slightly different than the regular CBF.

As mentioned in a previous post above, I placed them at the following locations:

1.   At the main wire into the breaker panel (The Signature CBF was used)
2.   On the breaker feeding my dedicated AV setup
3.   On the receptacle just 6 feet downstream from the receptacle feeding my system
4.   On AC male of receiver
5.   Om IEC of receiver

System Background / Challenges

Now, I am more a HT guy than a true audiophile like many on this site. My configuration consists of the components listed below. Most power cables are after market or DIY.

KEF Q Series home theatre speakers in a 5.1 configuration
A Pioneer Elite SC-05  receiver
Panasonic DMP60 Blu Ray Player
Samsung 72” LED DLP TV
DVDO iScan VP50 PRO external video processor
3 non Alan Maher AC line cleaners/enhancers. Two on the dedicated AC line, 1 on spare receptacle of the PLC.

I have a huge electrical transformer from the electrical company on my lawn.  :cry:

Results / Feedback

I was nervous about the effect the infinities would have on my video display. I bought the CBF’s because of the large transformer on my lawn and a marked difference in the sound of my system during the day vs at 10pm when watching movies. Samsung DLP’s are highly configurable allowing calibration of individual colors via the service menu of the TV. I had enlisted the help of a local ISF certified calibrator and he and I spent hours (and several hundred dollars) configuring the Samsung DLP TV in combination with the VP50 external video processor. I had read many a review of the CBF’s effect on audio, but very few posts offer feedback regarding their effect on video. People are often blown away by the 72” inch image on my screen being fed thru the VP50. I was skeptical that it could get any better, and feared the CBF’s would disturb the color decoding balance. I popped on the Infinites at all locations mentioned above and they sat for approx 36 hours before I turned equipment on.

Color decoding and color separation were immediately noticeably improved across the spectrum whilst viewing the VP50 test pattern on the TV. The biggest improvement was the saturation level of the color red. It was clean and saturated without washing out the adjacent colors in the test pattern. Combating red push is difficult as it affects skin tones and the whiteness/brightness of the color white; always noticeable when watching almost anything. I was encouraged by the test pattern results and real time viewing was impressive. Colors seemed to have more pop, they were more “plasma like” rather than “rear projection DLP” which tend to be more neutral. Despite more pop in color, whites were clean and bright and contrast level remained constant. The additional depth of color the CBF’s provide are very noticeable when you watch a “monochrome” film like Terminator Salvation which is very color neutral and flat.

Now the sound is another story. It has been a roller coaster ride as others have mentioned. As a reference I am using Master and Commander Blu Ray as the sound is of reference quality. I have watched/listened to the same 12 minute span of the film 7 times from Dec 31st to Jan 3rd and the sound has been slightly different at each interval. In the first day, delicate surround details were very evident, too evident. I fought the urge to turn down the DB level of the rear surrounds and the sound was coming direct from the speakers, no soundstage. Canon blasts lacked depth and punch. Jan 2nd the bass was muddy during canon fire, and the sound generally “heavy”. Even as I write this I am tentative and anxious because my system doesn’t sound good at the moment, and I want it back. The modestly priced CBF’s have been offset by the mounting cost of wine required to temper my nerve during these early days of “break in”. Yesterday (Jan 3rd), a more balanced sound was evident but with little depth, the soundstage is still not where it was. The “break in” is ongoing….

Based on what I have read about the CBF’s, I am not touching or adjusting anything until 20-25 days have passed. It was a joy to watch football on Sunday, the vibrant field and team colors were beautiful. I have wondered why there was an immediate benefit to the video over the audio without the ups and downs? I have surmised its because I have CBF’s over the AC and IEC of the receiver providing a more direct effect while I don’t on the TV’s power connection. Anyways, I will update this post in a week with where the audio is at.

Next Steps

Thanks Alan for being approachable and responding to my question about the CBF’s, and including a signature CBF with my order.

As for the 6th CBF I had in my order, my stepfather snapped it up and took it home to Montreal today as he was blown away by the audio swings and video improvement. I will be ordering more CBF’s for the both of us when you are back working January 10th.

RadioWonder

« Reply #1267 on: 5 Jan 2010, 03:06 am »
Infinity CBF

I have recently purchased several infinity CBF’s from Alan Maher. Alan included a Signature Infinity CBF in my purchase as a Christmas bonus (thanks again Alan  :D). The Signature CBF feels a little heavier than the regular Infinity CBF, and the contents (crystals?) feel larger. Alan has mentioned the contents and formulation of the Signature CBF’s is slightly different than the regular CBF.

Thanks for giving some details on the Signature Infinity CBF. I was baffled as to what it was.
« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2010, 05:07 pm by RadioWonder »

jmichael

« Reply #1268 on: 5 Jan 2010, 07:51 pm »
I have a huge electrical transformer from the electrical company on my lawn.  :cry:

What the hey??  :o
The Nerve!! :roll:
You need to have Alan make you a huge Infinity Shield to cover that sucker!  :lol:

WilliaBe

« Reply #1269 on: 5 Jan 2010, 08:29 pm »
Yeah, the electrical transformer is about 3X3X4 and about 60 feet from my meter. We built the house new and it was the only lot available on the street because of the "big green box". Still easy to find my house....

Really diggin Alan's CBF's as things are starting to settle in. I will update in a few days when I hit the day 8 mark.

Wish Alan made a pizza box sized CBF so I could plunk it down right on top of the transformer  :thumb:

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1270 on: 5 Jan 2010, 09:22 pm »
You don't need to shield the transformer...all you need to do is plug in a Infinity Shield prior to the transformer if it's used for non-a/v applications.  If it is used for a/v then plug a I-Shield into the primary and secondary to drop the noise floor to nothing.  If this is not workable for the transformer, then all you need to do is strap the CBF to the primary wiring so it can retune the noise leakage to match the rest of your system CBF.  Basically the CBF turns the transformer into a CBF parallel filter...try it I think you will enjoy the improvement.  A CBF should be used to retune all circuits in the home....the night and day difference is out of this world.  Use up to 4 per circuit pending what is installed/plugged in.

jmichael

« Reply #1271 on: 5 Jan 2010, 09:34 pm »
^^^

I'm sorry, you are closed until January 10th!  :lol:

WilliaBe

« Reply #1272 on: 5 Jan 2010, 09:55 pm »
Alan,

I was considering an Infinty Shield as part of my next purchase.

I have 85% of the cables into my breaker panel coming in neatly on the
side of the panel. I wanted to get a large Infinity and strap it right against this big bundle.
A regular infinity will cover the other three wires coming in the other side of the panel.

Are the Infinity CBf's & Regular Infinity included in the 20% sale?

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1273 on: 6 Jan 2010, 11:55 am »
Hi WilliaBe-

The Infinity and the Infinity CBF are not included as part of the 20% off sale, sorry.  Everything else is, though.

WilliaBe

« Reply #1274 on: 6 Jan 2010, 02:14 pm »
I figured they werent as I had seen in earlier posts they had been excluded in the past.

Still, the CBF's are the deal of the century at 25$ each...

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1275 on: 6 Jan 2010, 02:43 pm »
Thank-you.

jcoat007

« Reply #1276 on: 8 Jan 2010, 06:41 am »
A CBF should be used to retune all circuits in the home....the night and day difference is out of this world.  Use up to 4 per circuit pending what is installed/plugged in.

I feel like such an idiot asking, but how the heck do you do that? 

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #1277 on: 8 Jan 2010, 08:31 am »
Exactly like I listed on my website... main wire bundle, circuit breaker, duplex, etc.  Everything it physically touches, it retunes.

WilliaBe

« Reply #1278 on: 8 Jan 2010, 10:06 pm »
To update my post above, the Infinities have now been in my system for 8 days. I kept the 5 Infinities at the locations previously mentioned (As per Alan’s website). I put all 5 in at once on Dec 30th.

As mentioned before, video performance has been steady the whole time. I have metrics to measure the TV via the VP50 test patterns. The color decoding and separation are excellent. Colors have more “plasma like” saturation without washing themselves out. White is very very clean.

The rollercoaster was the sound quality. It was changing almost daily between days 1-4. The soundstage/surround had collapsed losing all depth. Sound was coming directly from the speakers, no atmosphere.

Things got better around day 5, sound was multidirectional again, but the bass was overpowering and soundstage was still suffering.

Last night was day 8 and the soundstage was coming back in a big way. Definitely more surround detail and vocal clarity. Bass is very deep and starting to tighten up again. The additional detail in DTS-HD soundtracks is amazing. Fine details have emerged that we had never heard before.

It is still early days, and as I have other filters on the AC line, I have read the CBF tuning effect can take up to 20+ days. I was still very happy where things were last night.

I will post my final report after day 20. So far, this is the best tweak I have added to my system.

Bill

jcoat007

« Reply #1279 on: 9 Jan 2010, 07:24 pm »
I placed one CBF on the circuit breaker feeding my A/V system.  I cannot get to the main wire bundle so I placed one on the main circuit breaker that feeds the whole house and I also placed one in the wall box behind the duplex feeding my system. 

I wish I could just jump ahead to day 30+.  Now the wait begins. 

Steve