Alan Maher's Power Enhancer

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
Re: Alan Maher's Power Enhancer
« Reply #1220 on: 11 Nov 2009, 12:41 pm »
4 For 1 Special

Buy 4 Infinity CBF and Get 1 FREE (Total 5)

Today Only!!!

cfmsp

« Reply #1221 on: 16 Nov 2009, 11:40 pm »
Alan, Jen, et al

Finally made the time to break in my gear.  Need to make sure I've set it up properly.

I live in an apartment in NYC.  I've duct taped an infinity CBF to the breaker panel as near the actual breaker as I can.   On the only circuit into which I can plug in my audio gear, I've plugged in my new toys into the duplex nearest the breaker panel.  Into the top receptacle, I've plugged the Quantum Reference Power Conditioner.  Into the lower receptacle of the same wall duplex, I've plugged the PE VI. Into the RPC's first receptacle I've plugged the Reference II.   Into the second I've plugged the Reference Power Cable (into which I've plugged my Nelson Pass J2).  In the third, I've plugged a Metric Halo ULN-2 via Gordon Rankin custom power supply, with standard AC cable. Into the 4th, I've plugged a Dehavilland Ultraverve tube preamp via Analysis Plus power cable. After this I forget, but I believe it's the Mac Mini, then Sony Bravia LCD panel, then the Apple TV, and potentially a seldom used Oppo DVD player OR an extension cord with additional outlets.

How am I doing so far?  Does this seem appropriate?

I tend to leave my gear on all the time.  Would this help or hurt the break-in process?

What should I do about othet devices? Plug them into an extension off the last receptacle, or plug them into the wall duplex that is downstream from the panel.  I'm talking about things like Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Epson printer, Vonage box, Cable modem, Cable box, etc.

Assuming I eventually like what I hear, is there an obvious next step as far as one (maybe two) additional piece of Alan's gear?

And last but not least, I ahve an additional Infinity CFB not yet in place.  What to do with it?

So many questions,
thanks
clay

djbnh

« Reply #1222 on: 19 Nov 2009, 05:36 pm »
djbnh-

You're in luck!  Infinity is back in stock as of today!  I still have to treat the stones, but I can have them ready for shipping on Thursday.

Thank you!
Jen,

So sorry to have missed your note, and thank you for your reply. Hopefully the Infinity will be available during your Black Friday Black Friday Pre-Order Sale (11/27-29). Again, thank you for your earlier reply.

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1223 on: 22 Nov 2009, 04:08 pm »
Hi Clay-

Let's start with the CBF... the CBF needs to come into contact with the breaker or the incoming wire service bundle in order to be effective.  It is a peizoelectric filter and deals with micro and macro vibration frequencies. 

If I had to suggest, I would recommend to install the second CBF over the spare receptacle of the same AV duplex the QRPC is plugged into.  It is not overly important to have the QS or PE VI plugged into the same duplex as the power strip, as long as they are all installed on the same circuit.  One option would be to plug the PE VI one duplex over from the power strip, plug the Studio into the first receptacle of the power strip, and then install the rest of the system from there up.  Play with the difference with the amp installed in the second versus the eighth receptacle, and see which tonal quality you prefer.  As for the added computer components, I would recommend a second power strip (QRPC) to be installed one or two duplexes over (wherever convenient).  The QRPC will have a dramatic effect on the performance qulaity of the computer parts.

We leave our gear on 24/7 as well... it doesn't speed up or slow down the break-in process, but it does sound better. 

Thank you!

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1224 on: 22 Nov 2009, 04:10 pm »
Hi DJ-

We'll be offering our 4 + 1 Infinity CBF Special during the Black Friday sale.

Thank you!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #1225 on: 22 Nov 2009, 04:45 pm »
Hey jen,

I'm confussed. I have a dedicated circuit that feeds a Quad receptacle. The amps [ mono] and preamp[ mono] four plugs are plugged into that circuit. My TT and CDP are on another circuit [ not isolated].
     I have only one CBF at the dedicated circuit so far. how does using other filters in different circuits affect the dedicated circuits ?
     Second my home was built before [3] prong receptacables were used. mostly a two wire deal. The dedicated outlet is new so the ground is wired. The others mostly throughout the house are not. So, does this make any difference for your products ?
    I would like to take advantage of the sale but frankly am confused as to what to buy. I know I need at least [3] CBFs one at outlet[ quad] and one for TT and CDP breaker and one for the duplex of such. after the CBFs whats next? Thanks in advance .

charles

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1226 on: 23 Nov 2009, 03:22 pm »
Hi Charles-

There is no such thing as a dedicated circuit in the sense of noise free isolation.  All circuits are connected in parallel at the panel and protected with a circuit breaker.  Noise travels up and down each circuit all day long by finding the path of least resistance.  In a 120 volt installation the path of least resistance happens to be the neutral and earth conductors.  Filtering the non-Audio/Video circuits using the CBF or one of our active models lower noise in the exact location where it lives and breathes.  Lowering noise on the neutral and earth can offer a dramatic improvement in system dynamics and soundstaging.

Thank you!

silverlight

« Reply #1227 on: 25 Nov 2009, 02:51 am »
Jen - question for you regarding the Infinity product.  I've had a lot of fun using the Infinity CBF's and have a bunch of them in and around my audio setup and non-audio circuits.  I also have a few of the large Infinity boxes.  I hadn't used them until recently as I finally have an audio rack that provides a little more breathing room above the amps.  I placed one on top of the transformer on each of my Cary tube monoblocks - really incredible change!  Very quick improvement in high frequency detail retrieval. The transformers are huge on this amp, exceeding the width/length of the large Infinity.  So the other application I was considering for the 3rd one (it was overkill for my DAC and didn't tune it in the right direction), is the external PSU for my Mac Mini (the PSU is similar in size to the Mini, a big heavy unit).  So unlike the amps where I noticed an immediate improvement, and have not had the several day close-in I would have expected in soundstage, when I placed it on the computer PSU the I immediately lost HF detail and the soundstage did close in, not a lot but a couple feet.  I recall Alan mentioning that the nature of the behavior within a few minutes to 10-15 min's was a good indication of  whether or not it's the right application.  What would your reaction be on this one re: the computer PSU?  I figured with all the grunge computers create back into the power lines this could be a good application, but will defer to the experts...  should I stick it out for a week and see what happens or hunt for another application?Thanks!

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1228 on: 25 Nov 2009, 11:58 am »
Hi Silverlight-

I'm not overly familiar with Mac computers, but from the looks of the pictures, it appears the Mac Mini uses an external power supply?  If this is the case, all types of external power supplies respond poorly to magnetic filtering.  One option is to place it on top of the Mac Mini itself and fine tune it over where the power enters the component.  If this does not work, I would suggest trying another application.

Thank you!

Phil

« Reply #1229 on: 26 Nov 2009, 01:40 am »
Silverlight,

It is interesting that your DAC didn't like the CBF.  All systems are different.  I recently tried the CBF inside my cdp and love the tonality.  Good reminder to try different locations to see what works and, of course, to consult with Alan or Jen.

Phil

silverlight

« Reply #1230 on: 26 Nov 2009, 03:02 am »
Phil - it was the large Infinity that didn't play as nicely but the little one (CBF) is a much better fit.  The Infinities are great, I just ordered another 4+2 on sale.  The large ones I'm guessing have more targeted applications (my large tube amps were perfect with the huge transformers).

Phil

« Reply #1231 on: 26 Nov 2009, 03:09 am »
Silverlight,

OK, that makes sense.  My cdp has a built-in preamp so there are more transformers to treat with the CBF in the future.

BTW, just looked up your speakers -- they look awesome!

Have you tried any of Alan's quantum products?  Very organic sounding.  Great stuff.

Phil

silverlight

« Reply #1232 on: 26 Nov 2009, 04:51 am »
Phil - thanks, the speakers are really excellent.  Have had them for several weeks now and simply could not recommend them enough.  They are extraordinarily transparent and so really love their performance across the frequency range.  Just spent time with Sanjay at Ciamarra this evening who came by for a while and we spent time listening to two different quality DAC's which I've compared in a couple of other systems where the differences were subtle.  The differences were really quite significant tonight and I'm sure it was thanks in large part to the transparency of the speakers.
On Alan's gear, I've really gotten a lot of mileage out of them and am a great fan.  The end product is well worth the wait of the break-in period.  I do like the quantum products too!  Here's the stuff I employ currently:
  • Quantum Reference Power Center
  • 3 x Quantum IEC's (1 for each monoblock, 1 for DAC)
  • 1 x Quantum AC
  • 1 x Power Enhancer V Pro
  • 5 x Quantum Reference Power Cables
  • 1 pair Infinity SC (not using currently)
  • Several Reference II's on non-audio circuits
  • A bunch of Infinity CBF's (at circuit breaker, on each end of my non-AM power cables, on network router, on computer equipment, on a video cable that is connected to the computer)

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1233 on: 26 Nov 2009, 04:35 pm »
Hello fellas!

Since we're talking speakers, I thought I'd chime in... last spring Alan bought a pair of Emerald Physics CS3.  These speakers, in the right set up, sound absolutely spectacular!  For the price they are tough to beat, and should be considered as a reference choice for all situations and musical preferences. 

Silverlight-

With the assortment of filters that you presently have, you should seriously consider adding a Reference III to one of your non-audio circuits.  The Ref III picks up where the Ref II left off... cleanses the ground throughout the home and takes the system above and beyond what you may perceive as possible.  The Ref III is a gigantic leap forward in total system enhancement. 

Thank you!
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2009, 07:51 pm by JenMaher »

cfmsp

« Reply #1234 on: 26 Nov 2009, 06:43 pm »
Here's the stuff I employ currently:
  • Quantum Reference Power Center
  • 3 x Quantum IEC's (1 for each monoblock, 1 for DAC)
  • 1 x Quantum AC
  • 1 x Power Enhancer V Pro
  • 5 x Quantum Reference Power Cables
  • 1 pair Infinity SC (not using currently)
  • Several Reference II's on non-audio circuits
  • A bunch of Infinity CBF's (at circuit breaker, on each end of my non-AM power cables, on network router, on computer equipment, on a video cable that is connected to the computer)

Silverlight,

I'm trying to sort out what to buy - while my current stuff is still improving - during the sale.

Can you explain how you use the Quantum AC (which I think has now been upgraded to Quantum V2) versus the PE V?  IOW, what is the difference?

I have a PE VI now, as well as QR Power Conditioner and  a QR Power Cable (for my J2).  Am considering another Power Conditioner (per Jen's advice above) due to a large number of other components plugged in on the same circuit. I don't think I'm ready for the IEC devices (one per component), but could be convinced otherwise.   I also have a Ref II and a couple of ICBFs. Not sure what to do next.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
clay

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1235 on: 26 Nov 2009, 06:49 pm »
Hi Clay-

I also agree that your system is not ready for the IEC filters, it is advised to first add the second QRPC and then move to treat all the non-a/v circuits in the home.

Thank you! 

cfmsp

« Reply #1236 on: 26 Nov 2009, 06:54 pm »
Hi Clay-

I also agree that your system is not ready for the IEC filters, it is advised to first add the second QRPC and then move to treat all the non-a/v circuits in the home.

Thank you!

Jen, treating the other circuits is done with Ref IIs and Infinify ICBFs?

You also mentioned a Reference III, which does not appear yet in your Products portion of the site.

What is the cost of these during the sale?

thanks for such a quick response.

clay

silverlight

« Reply #1237 on: 26 Nov 2009, 06:58 pm »
Clay - I use the Quantum AC (which I understand is very similar to the current Quantum Studio when I asked Alan as the changes were happening, the new Quantum V2 is a much smaller double-stacked device; I believe the Quantum AC / Studio employ bybees which have gone up a lot in price) in the lower plug of the main audio outlet with the QRPowerCenter in the top plug.  In the first outlet of the QRPC I plug in the PE V Pro which was Alan's advice.  What I did was draw a circuit panel layout with what was on each of the 8 zones.  Fortunately my audio circuit is only the outlets in the living room which I've limited to the audio system and TV.  So I figured out what circuits and zones were in phase (left side of the circuit panel) and proceeded to treat those other non-audio's with Ref II's (one on the first outlet on each circuit).  On the other side / phase, I treated the zones that contain the kitchen appliances and the home office / computer equipment each with a Ref II.  Have done some and will be doing more Infinity CBF in those non-audio circuits above the outlets in use.  Since I'm not an expert on this stuff that's about as far as I could probably make recommendations.  I'm also considering splitting the audio and the computer and video into a different QRPC as I'm moving the DVD player, Tivo, AppleTV, router and video switcher to a different part of the room and different outlet (and then just run an HDMI to the tv and longer CAT7 to the Mini in the audio rack).best,geoff

cfmsp

« Reply #1238 on: 26 Nov 2009, 07:12 pm »
I'm also considering splitting the audio and the computer and video into a different QRPC as I'm moving the DVD player, Tivo, AppleTV, router and video switcher to a different part of the room and different outlet (and then just run an HDMI to the tv and longer CAT7 to the Mini in the audio rack).best,geoff

Thanks Geoff, as always,

WIth your descriptions and Jen's advice here and farther up the thread, I have a better understanding.

Looks like another QRPC and some REF II/IIIs are in my future.

have a great holiday, ALL!

clay

JenMaher

• Alan Maher Designs
    • Alan Maher Designs
« Reply #1239 on: 26 Nov 2009, 07:47 pm »
Hi Clay-

The Reference III will be priced at $225.00 for the sale ($275.00 list).

Treating non-A/V circuits is done with a mix of CBF's, Infinity Shields, PEv3, Reference II, and Reference III.  At least one CBF per non-A/V circuit does the trick.  2-3 Infinity Shields can be used around the home or A/V circuit.  PEv3 should be used to filter large appliances.  The Reference II is used for smaller appliances. Usually a 50/50 split of PE and Ref II is a good way to go.  4 to 6 filters max per home offers a nice organic sound quality.  1 Reference III is recommended per home.

Geoff-

The Quantum AC offers 80% of the performance of the Quantum Studio.

The Qv2 also has Bybee's installed as part of the circuit.  The difference in cost is the physical size of the circuit compared to the larger Studio.

BTW, I have 1 Quantum v2 demo available if anyone is interested.  Asking price is $300.00.