Using anA/V Receiver as a Pre-Amp

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Using anA/V Receiver as a Pre-Amp
« Reply #20 on: 24 Dec 2007, 01:27 am »
Thanks Ted-
How long was your wait with Brian (Peabody)? Last time I spoke with him he thought ~1 month...
In your opinion, other than the added cost, is there any difference in going with the onkyo 905 as a pure prepro and use the stratos with that? It's hard to say definitively, but it looks like the 905 preamp section is the same as the 885...
Mark

PS. Given the ol' laws of supply and demand, I can actually buy the 905 Receiver and "throw away" the amplifer for less than the cost of an 885. So, the issue isn't $ --I just want the best product for its intended use (PrePro only)
Mark

I'm hesitant to recommend a receiver.  Also, not sure all the 905 keeps from the 885 or 9.8.  Brian is claiming a month or so, I think.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #21 on: 24 Dec 2007, 02:25 am »

[/quote]

Pete,

What are you using as a source for True HD?

Can you get True HD via HDMI or does it have to be via the analog outputs?

George
[/quote]

HD DVD Tosh XA2 is doing it.  Have a Panny BD30 on the way as well.

Msleb

« Reply #22 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:42 am »
Big Red,
Where did you get your 885/9.8?

Msleb

« Reply #23 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:44 am »
Thanks Ted-
How long was your wait with Brian (Peabody)? Last time I spoke with him he thought ~1 month...
In your opinion, other than the added cost, is there any difference in going with the onkyo 905 as a pure prepro and use the stratos with that? It's hard to say definitively, but it looks like the 905 preamp section is the same as the 885...
Mark

PS. Given the ol' laws of supply and demand, I can actually buy the 905 Receiver and "throw away" the amplifer for less than the cost of an 885. So, the issue isn't $ --I just want the best product for its intended use (PrePro only)
Mark

I'm hesitant to recommend a receiver.  Also, not sure all the 905 keeps from the 885 or 9.8.  Brian is claiming a month or so, I think.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #24 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:48 am »
BTW, the Sammy 1400 only does proper bitstreaming of TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio when fitted with the new V1.2 firmware here (George, if you haven't found it already)
v1.2firmware

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:52 am »
Thanks Ted-
Mark

Mark

Sure, I don't know much of anything about the 905.  It looks like it's the 9.8/885 with amps, but doesn't include balanced inputs or the nice 7.1 balanced outputs.  I just don't like receivers as pre/pros cuz they are likely cost cutting on the front end to include amps on the back end, and may inflict too much unnecessary noise having evrything under one roof..  My $.02.  I may be all wet here.

P.S.  I'll go see if I can tell what the 905 has or hasn't vs the 9.8/885....
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2007, 04:06 am by ted_b »

Msleb

« Reply #26 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:56 am »
Thanks Ted, let me know if/what you learn. I haven't been able to find much. BTW, the list price for the 905 is several hundred more than the 885 Pre Pro, so that's why I thought the Preamp sections might be the same (ie the additional MSRP of the 905 was due to the amp). My earlier post refers to simple market dynamics. There are several vendors for the 905 receiver, so the price I can get it for is significantly below MSRP, while the 885 is still scarce and the only place I've seen will put me on a 2-4 week wait list for MSRP. THus, I can get the 905 sooner and for a few dollars less than the 885. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm missing something here...

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #27 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:56 am »
BTW, the Sammy 1400 only does proper bitstreaming of TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio when fitted with the new V1.2 firmware here (George, if you haven't found it already)
v1.2firmware

Thanks Ted.

I just need to install the latest version of Nero as the burning software I have on this pc doesn't support ISO.   :cry:

George

Big Red Machine

« Reply #28 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:58 am »
Big Red,
Where did you get your 885/9.8?

http://www.ggvideo.com/

885 was $350 less than the 905

Msleb

« Reply #29 on: 24 Dec 2007, 04:01 am »
Thanks Red, right near my brother's house. I just emailed them...Their site shows they are out of stock, but taking orders...

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 24 Dec 2007, 04:08 am »
Edited remarks above.  Yeah, I got the $$ backwards, sorry.  The 905 looks to be all the 885 except for the balanced/xlr input and outputs, which is huge for me, cuz I run two sets of surrounds, music (XLR) and movie (RCA).

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 24 Dec 2007, 04:11 am »
v1.2firmware

Thanks Ted.

I just need to install the latest version of Nero as the burning software I have on this pc doesn't support ISO.   :cry:

George

Iso recorder is small, free and easy.
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Big Red Machine

« Reply #32 on: 24 Dec 2007, 01:25 pm »
Thanks Red, right near my brother's house. I just emailed them...Their site shows they are out of stock, but taking orders...

Took more than a month to get mine but well worth it.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #33 on: 24 Dec 2007, 03:40 pm »
v1.2firmware

Thanks Ted.

George

Iso recorder is small, free and easy.
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Thanks Ted.

I successfully installed the firmware update and all appears to be good.

Santa just dropped off a dozen new Blu-Ray discs so I will be giving things a workout over the next week.

George