Our systems: past, present, and future.

jt1stcav

• Li'l Sammy...she loves directly heated triodes!
    • http://www.freewebs.com/jt1stcav/
Re: Our systems: past, present, and future.
« Reply #20 on: 14 Mar 2008, 01:56 am »
I dabbled with SD monitors once a few years ago and I eventually would like to persue it again at a later date when my financial situation improves.

Long story short, in '01 I purchased a pair of Loth-X Audio Amaze transmission-line monitors after the Singapore-based manufacturing firm went out of business. The solid cherry cabinets were quite striking, and so too were the Stefan Stamm custom-designed Fostex tri-coned paper drivers (as seen below...not mine)! With a frequency response of 55Hz-20kHz at 8 ohms, 96dB sensitivity, and Alnico magnets, what more could one ask for? These monitors truely shined in the midrange with my 6.5Wpc 300B SET amp from BEZ of Hong-Kong, but also became somewhat harsh at higher levels (my only grievance with the Amaze...if they didn't scream at you when pushed, I would've kept them still). Ended up selling them for a pair of Klipsch RB-75 2-way horn monitors, which are nice for not being SDs!

In the future maybe I'll check out some Omegas or Tekton Design monitors...

Nick Bassman

Re: Our systems: past, present, and future.
« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2008, 08:52 pm »
After 4 happy years with Avantgarde Unos I ran through couple of speakers in the name of "room reclaimation".

First was a pair of Hyperion HPS-938s, sounded great at the dealers but really never got them to sound astonishing in my room. Plus my wife
thought they looked like coffins !!

Next up was a pair of Acoustic Zen Adagios. Really nice speaker with great looks to match. Trouble was IMO they just weren't happy with lower powered
tubes which I love so.............

With lot's of help from the guys at Zu and Simon the distributor in the UK I arranged to hear the Zu Definiton 2s at my home and was blown away.

10 weeks later ...............

Perversely I'm currently running these with a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2, not a tube in sight :D  I do have a Melody I2a3 in the stable so that will get hooked up in due course.