Line Array Speaker Availability

JoshK

Re: Line Array Speaker Availability
« Reply #20 on: 26 Oct 2007, 03:09 pm »
Sorry to hear about your experience Rod.  IMO, those PHL's are mids, not midbasses and aren't meant to really do any meaningful bass.  If mated up with appropriate hi-eff bass bins and crossed appropriately you could have a world class higher efficiency speaker system, but you'd likely have to totally redo the crossover due to the interaction of the high pass with the MT crossover.

My definition of line arrays goes like this:  You have point sources and line sources defined by their dispersion into space.  ESLs, tall ribbon speakers and stacked array of dynamic speakers (line arrays) all fall into the line source category.  Line arrays, as I think of them (good example being Selah Audio's offerings), are a subset of line sources.  All line arrays are line sources but the opposite is not true.  So in my definition, a line array is an 'arrayed' speaker (of point sources) making up a line source. 

Then there is the whole in between area that confuses things, but IMO is easier to categorize by its dispersion pattern then by the way it looks.  MTMs and extended MTMs are in this camp.  They are point sources high up and somewhere in between a point source and a line source lower down.