Signature 70 Upgrade

dbyrd

Signature 70 Upgrade
« on: 8 Sep 2007, 04:23 am »
Vinnie--

I have used tube gear exclusively for years. But after playing with a Trends Audio TA-10.1 for the last few weeks, I decided it time to try the other way. It was putting the TA-1- I on battery power that convinced to look more deeply into RWA. So I bought a Sig 70 on Audiogon today. I am looking forward to seeing what it can do.

I am also interested in the 70.2 upgrade.  Thinking about how to work the Sig 70 into my system, it occurred to me that it might not be impossible to add another set of input jacks.  I am not sure what problems this might cause. Would it be possible to use a simple toggle switch, even if it had to be on the back panel?  Like a lot of people, I suspect, I need two inputs (one for digital, one for a phono stage), but I usually decide at the beginning of a session whether I am going to listen to vinyl.  The fact that the switch is somewhat out of the way wouldn't be a serious problem. I have a simple passive pre, on which I can bypass the volume controls, but I may just juggle the interconnects, if it sounds better.

Looking forward to being a part of this community.

Don
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2007, 01:45 pm by dbyrd »

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Signature 70 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2007, 03:01 pm »
Vinnie--

I have used tube gear exclusively for years. But after playing with a Trends Audio TA-10.1 for the last few weeks, I decided it time to try the other way. It was putting the TA-1- I on battery power that convinced to look more deeply into RWA. So I bought a Sig 70 on Audiogon today. I am looking forward to seeing what it can do.

I am also interested in the 70.2 upgrade.  Thinking about how to work the Sig 70 into my system, it occurred to me that it might not be impossible to add another set of input jacks.  I am not sure what problems this might cause. Would it be possible to use a simple toggle switch, even if it had to be on the back panel?  Like a lot of people, I suspect, I need two inputs (one for digital, one for a phono stage), but I usually decide at the beginning of a session whether I am going to listen to vinyl.  The fact that the switch is somewhat out of the way wouldn't be a serious problem. I have a simple passive pre, on which I can bypass the volume controls, but I may just juggle the interconnects, if it sounds better.

Looking forward to being a part of this community.

Don

Hi Don,

Welcome to Audiocircle and the RWA forum, and thanks for joining!

Yes, another RCA input jack and a toggle switch could be added to each Signature 70 rear panel, but keep in mind that if you were to DIY this, you would void your warranty with me (I do warranty my products, even if purchased on the used market). 

While I try to avoid customization options with all my new products (mainly because of the complication that it adds to the manufacturing process), this is something that I can do for you if you decide to send in your 70s for the 70.2 partial or full upgrade (details about this will be posted soon).

Enjoy your Signature 70s, and please email me if you need a .pdf copy of the user's manual.

Best regards,

Vinnie

dbyrd

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2007, 03:16 pm »

Vinnie--

I would not try to do it myself--too fumble fingered. But it seems to me that a lot of people might like a second input.  And I am happy to here you warrant second-hand gear.

I will be interested to see the details on the upgrade.
   Don

jrebman

« Reply #3 on: 9 Sep 2007, 08:58 pm »
Don,

I suppose this is one way to let me know you aren't going to buy my pair ::

FYI, in my attempt to be fair to you and give you first crack at them, I lost another sale.

Thanks,

Jim