Best DAC? CIAudio, PS Audio, Benchmark, Perp Tech

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Best DAC? CIAudio, PS Audio, Benchmark, Perp Tech
« Reply #20 on: 5 Sep 2007, 09:39 am »
I'm a happy Channel Islands Audio owner (VMB-1 monoblocks and VPC-3 pre-amp).  They're well built, do what they're supposed to (provide a clear/neutral sound), and are no nonsense products (no bigger, no more complicated, and no more expensive than necessary).  I love Dusty's balance of KISS and practical approaches.  :thumb:

I like buying domestic when I can and that Dusty and his staff are available to talk with.  His prices (at least when he still built the VMB-1's  :() were in my price range.  I also like that their DACs have an upgrade path without modifications, without additional shipping, or being without during shipping/mods.  OTOH Dusty offered free upgrade to the VDA-2 soon after it's release that did require shipping.

Unlike many audiophiles, I've not had good experiences with tubes or PC audio.  With CIA stuff I don't have worries about equipment failure or chasing my tails with lots of tweaks.  For my audio budget I consider CIA products (and my "beloved" speakers) foundational for my system.

KS

« Reply #21 on: 3 Oct 2007, 01:04 am »
Being on 24/7 is not a concern for the tube life. I'm a very happy camper!!

Let me confirm this...you won't reduce the life of the tube if you keep it on all of the time?
The tubes aren't on if the TADAC isn't receiving a signal.

I'm very satisfied with my TADAC.  I haven't owned others, except of course, the one built into my CD player.  The TADAC makes the music sound more life like than ever.  I'd buy another.
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/indexx.html

I also like the sound of my TAD-60 amp very much.

Magnus_CA

« Reply #22 on: 3 Oct 2007, 03:14 am »
Being on 24/7 is not a concern for the tube life. I'm a very happy camper!!

Let me confirm this...you won't reduce the life of the tube if you keep it on all of the time?
The tubes aren't on if the TADAC isn't receiving a signal.

I'm very satisfied with my TADAC.  I haven't owned others, except of course, the one built into my CD player.  The TADAC makes the music sound more life like than ever.  I'd buy another.
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/bizzyb/indexx.html

I also like the sound of my TAD-60 amp very much.

Thanks!

Unfortunately the price shot up on this bad boy.  I'm all for the Tubyness knob but I'm not sure the Main volume knob is necessary for me.  Both appear to be standard now.  I still may give the TADAC an audition against a VDA-2 and Stella DA100.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #23 on: 3 Oct 2007, 06:05 am »
The current price seems to be $899, but this includes the two $100 options - tubyness and main volume knobs, so it seems to be the same price in that sense since it was $699, wasn't it?

tdangelo

« Reply #24 on: 3 Oct 2007, 12:04 pm »
The current price seems to be $899, but this includes the two $100 options - tubyness and main volume knobs, so it seems to be the same price in that sense since it was $699, wasn't it?

I paid $699 for mine without the tuby and volume knobs.  I didn't order the tuby knob specifically - my amps and pre are all tube and I'd prob. go crazy playing with another knob, hehehe.

I continue to enjoy this DAC - I put in some Raytheon 5814a's and that improved the overall sound ;)

Tony
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2007, 03:17 pm by tdangelo »

Angaria

« Reply #25 on: 5 Oct 2007, 03:05 pm »
checkout the citypulse 7.2 with txco.  Obscure, but beats the benchmark for 1/3 the price.

jbsl

« Reply #26 on: 8 Oct 2007, 06:37 am »
I bought mine with the tube knob, which sounds like a gimmick but really works, but
I sent my TADAC back to Paul to add the gain volume knob. 

My speakers are 104 Db and I was getting some problems due to the gain level on the TADAC.  Now that I have the gain volume knob those problems are gone. 

So both the tube and volume knobs are great things to have.

This is the first DAC I've owned and I'm very happy with it.  aa

I've been using Mullard CV4003s in it and they sound great also.  The EH sounded more detailed, the Mullards have smoother midrange.

Rocket

« Reply #27 on: 8 Oct 2007, 10:07 am »
Hi,

Try and buy a secondhand perpetual technologies p3a modified by modwright it is a pretty good dac.  Alternatively, a Bel canto dac 1 or 2 sound excellent as well.

Regards

Rod

tvyankee

« Reply #28 on: 8 Oct 2007, 11:55 am »
hey

take a look at this dac. and then go over to www.headfi.com and you can read all day long about comparing dac's.

http://hifi500.com/product/da100.htm

Good luck on your quest.

spud

« Reply #29 on: 8 Oct 2007, 03:43 pm »
hey

take a look at this dac. and then go over to www.headfi.com and you can read all day long about comparing dac's.

Good luck on your quest.

I'll second that. Great DAC for the money. The rest of their line looks like is worth a listen.

spud

Magnus_CA

« Reply #30 on: 8 Oct 2007, 06:32 pm »
hey

Good luck on your quest.

I've got a Stello.  I'm waiting for the rest of my equipment to come in before I compare the TADAC, CIAudio and Stello.

hYdrociTy

• HAY GUYS WHATS GOING ON IN THIS THREAD?
    • hYdrociTy.net
« Reply #31 on: 4 Dec 2007, 08:09 pm »
I would choose either Perpetual combo (I heard the dac by itself- I wouldn't buy it alone because the p-1a really lets it work to the full potential.) or Stello DA100(I personally don't like it but will admit it really is well designed) for single ended.

A balanced setup the with the VDA2 would be killer for such low price :green:
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2007, 08:28 pm by hYdrociTy »