Best DAC? CIAudio, PS Audio, Benchmark, Perp Tech

Magnus_CA

Best DAC? CIAudio, PS Audio, Benchmark, Perp Tech
« on: 4 Sep 2007, 08:15 pm »
I'm sure no one has compared all of these in person but I'm looking for general impressions of these dacs.

My only requirements are that it is solid state and under $1k.

PS Audio Digital Link III $995
Benchmark DAC1 $975
Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 $599
Perpetual Technologies P-3A $799 (av123.com)

This would be used to enhance the signal from a Sonos music server.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

tanchiro58

Re: Best DAC? CIAudio, PS Audio, Benchmark, Perp Tech
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2007, 08:21 pm »
You should add Lavry DA10 Black to the list. It is a very neutral and makes my system has more bass than before.

http://studioforums.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/694106689/m/6611090261
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161032

machine

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2007, 08:28 pm »
Add Lite Audio DAC-60 with Mods from GR Research to your list.

Magnus_CA

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2007, 08:33 pm »
You should add Lavry DA10 Black to the list. It is a very neutral and makes my system has more bass than before.

No RCA outs I believe.  Unforunately my current Pre-AMP only has RCA's in, no XLR's.

tdangelo

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2007, 08:46 pm »
you should really try the TADAC from Tube Audio Design.  They have it selling for $699 with a 21 day trial.  I've had the Benchmark, Tact, Paradisea, Monarchy etc... In my system and to my ears(and a couple friends) this is the best of the lot... expecially for the $$  I haven't even tried different 12au7 tubes yet  :D

just my opinion ;)

Tony

Magnus_CA

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2007, 08:49 pm »
you should really try the TADAC from Tube Audio Design.  They have it selling for $699 with a 21 day trial.  I've had the Benchmark, Tact, Paradisea, Monarchy etc... In my system and to my ears(and a couple friends) this is the best of the lot... expecially for the $$  I haven't even tried different 12au7 tubes yet  :D

just my opinion ;)

Tony

I heard you can't leave tube dac's on all the time and you have to let them warm up.  Those are two undesireable traits for me.

tdangelo

« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2007, 08:52 pm »

just my opinion ;)

Tony

I heard you can't leave tube dac's on all the time and you have to let them warm up.  Those are two undesireable traits for me.

true ;)  I've had the TADAC on for about a week straight - it runs very cool and 12au7's are pretty cheap ;)

Tony

mikey300

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2007, 10:35 pm »

No RCA outs I believe.  Unforunately my current Pre-AMP only has RCA's in, no XLR's.

I second the Lavry recommendation although I didn't run any comparison tests with any of the other DACs listed.  I had XLR to RCA ICs made by my amplifier vendor since I was running straight from the Lavry DAC into my amps.  Lavry has a volume control and I didn't have any adtl sources so that was a huge Lavry plus at the time - saved me ~ $1,000+ for decent preamp.

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2007, 11:11 pm »

just my opinion ;)

Tony

I'll second that!!! The TADAC is a fantastic sounding piece. I don't know how Paul pulls it off for the extremely reasonable price. Hey, who am I to argue?? It'll also be a lot of fun down the road when I try my hand at tube rolling.  :icon_lol:
I emailed Paul & asked him if the DAC can be left on 24/7. His response was, absolutely...he designed it with that in mind. Apparently the tubes are only in circuit when a music signal is received. You'll see a faint blue ring glowing around the bottom of the tubes. The second the music stops, the faint blue light stops. Being on 24/7 is not a concern for the tube life. I'm a very happy camper!!

Magnus_CA

« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2007, 11:25 pm »
Being on 24/7 is not a concern for the tube life. I'm a very happy camper!!

Let me confirm this...you won't reduce the life of the tube if you keep it on all of the time?

Charles Calkins

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2007, 11:34 pm »
Hey guys:

What's that black box on top of the TADC DAC I see on their website pictures.

Cheers
                                                  Charlie

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #11 on: 4 Sep 2007, 11:45 pm »
Being on 24/7 is not a concern for the tube life. I'm a very happy camper!!

Let me confirm this...you won't reduce the life of the tube if you keep it on all of the time?

Not according to Paul...I trust his judgement.

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #12 on: 4 Sep 2007, 11:48 pm »
Hey guys:

What's that black box on top of the TADC DAC I see on their website pictures.

Cheers
                                                  Charlie

The power transformer. It's not removable to place it next to the DAC. The unit stands 6" high, which is a perfect fit in my rack.

mcullinan

« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2007, 11:49 pm »

you can run the lavry unbalanced.. Change an internal jumper and buy xlr to RCA converters . The lavry sounds amazing and is very musical and balanced.
mike

tanchiro58

« Reply #14 on: 5 Sep 2007, 12:48 am »
you can run the lavry unbalanced.. Change an internal jumper and buy xlr to RCA converters . The lavry sounds amazing and is very musical and balanced.

I did try the Hosa adapters XLR female to RCA female to use my special built ICs and do not have problems with the sound. Now I have tried a gold plated (actually brass) these adapters sound even more musicality. I am happy with the Lavry D10 in my main system. :thumb:

I would like to add the Promitheus SS DAC in my second system. Promi DAC is a bang for a less buck ($385).  :thumb:Besides I have not compared between two DACs yet.

fly_fish_nz

« Reply #15 on: 5 Sep 2007, 01:02 am »
Here's a good review of several dacs (including the Benchmark, Stello, Lavry):

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:LKS4GWGPPqMJ:www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D229294+asio+apogee+mini-dac+does+not+support+sample+rate&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=10&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Based on the cumulative ratings at the end for the units used as DACS alone, and on other reviews preferring the Apogee, I purchased an Apogee Mini-Dac to stand in while my stand alone CD player was in for updates.  I haven't listened to many of the others mentioned, but was impressed enough that I'm not so sure I want to sell it even though my main player is back.   

Also, somewhere on AA, a member posted the results of a review from a German magazine that preferred the PS Audio unit to the Benchmark.  Good luck!

2gumby2

« Reply #16 on: 5 Sep 2007, 02:10 am »
I have an Audio by Van Alstine Omegastar R DAC and I've been very happy with it. Take a look here:
www.avahifi.com

Housteau

« Reply #17 on: 5 Sep 2007, 03:36 am »
I am trying out a Benchmark now and find it very hard to fault.  So far it appears to do everything just right. 

slbenz

« Reply #18 on: 5 Sep 2007, 04:29 am »
I'm sure no one has compared all of these in person but I'm looking for general impressions of these dacs.

My only requirements are that it is solid state and under $1k.

PS Audio Digital Link III $995
Benchmark DAC1 $975
Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 $599
Perpetual Technologies P-3A $799 (av123.com)

This would be used to enhance the signal from a Sonos music server.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Compared the CIA VDA-2 to the Benchmark DAC1 and ended up with the CIA for it's slightly less digital harshness sound over the Benchmark.  Also compared these DACs to a DIYEDEN Great March, MSB Link DAC III with upsampler and California Audio Labs.  If you do end up with a CIA, you need to add the VAC-1 power supply.  It adds more warmth, a blacker background and greater bass over the stock wall wart.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #19 on: 5 Sep 2007, 05:05 am »

just my opinion ;)

Tony

I'll second that!!! The TADAC is a fantastic sounding piece. I don't know how Paul pulls it off for the extremely reasonable price. Hey, who am I to argue?? It'll also be a lot of fun down the road when I try my hand at tube rolling.  :icon_lol:
I emailed Paul & asked him if the DAC can be left on 24/7. His response was, absolutely...he designed it with that in mind. Apparently the tubes are only in circuit when a music signal is received. You'll see a faint blue ring glowing around the bottom of the tubes. The second the music stops, the faint blue light stops. Being on 24/7 is not a concern for the tube life. I'm a very happy camper!!
Always nice to have a link...... :thumb: