Tori Amos tonight (8/30); Raleigh, NC

Carlman

« on: 30 Aug 2003, 06:23 pm »
If anyone is going to be at the Alltel pavilion tonight to see Tori and Ben Folds, hope to see you there!
I'll be in section 7, row 'K' ... look like good seats.

Hope the sound quality isn't completely awful...

Rock on,
Carl

Ravi

« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2003, 07:36 pm »
Have a great time.

She is one of my all time favs!  Will definately go see her when she is in Vancouver.

gary

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2003, 11:43 pm »
i just saw her in upstate ny, the concert was marginal but the sound was awful (i've got to qualify that by saying i really only like little earthquakes, which i think was genius, after that her music has interested me less & less... and most of what she played was new stuff).

she had two giant subs at the front of the stage, and the bass was just ungodly. on top of that i think her bass player is terrible, he plays a 5 string with a low 'B', plays way too loud and keeps playing barre chords. dammit, bass players aren't supposed to do that because it sounds like ass. 3/4 of the way through she got up in the middle of a song and made the sound guy turn the bass guitar down, things were much better after that. and then all of the effects on her voice were distorted, i'm not sure what the problem was but it sounded really bad. of course, i don't think anyone but anally retentive me noticed any of this, the crowd really enjoyed the show. hope you do too.

-gary

cjr888

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2003, 02:42 am »
Just saw her last week at PNC in NJ.  Good show, though never really happy with sound at PNC.  Lady was leaving a bit into the show and handed us box seats, dead center.  This improved sound and definitely improved the show for me a lot....though its still PNC.  It was her birthday which was also pretty neat..  

Saw a bit of her on Channel 13 last night -- though staring at a 13" TV in a little condo in LBI doesn't exactly have the same impact as being at a show, it was nice to actually hear the piano much better vs. having the bass drown out everything else, even on TV...  One of my biggest complaints of larger venues -- one of the best part of the show somewhat hidden behind everything else.  Understand your mention about things being drowned out.....  The first time I saw her was somewhere around '93 in a little theatre up in Orono, Maine -- flew up for the show and was glad I did - her and the piano, and I believe a guitarist popping in for some tracks -- obviously a heck of a lot more intimate, better sound and 20 feet away dead center...I like hearing her with just the piano anyway, but even when the other instruments are part of the song, you sometimes wish they were lowered in levels.....REALLY lowered in levels.

Carlman

Sound Check
« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2003, 03:52 am »
Well... just got back... interesting show since this was the first time I'd seen here live.  My wife likes her a lot and I like Ben Folds a lot... Ben's sound/mic/mix were all about as good as a college laden night club...  Way loud, amps clipping, and it was just him and a piano.

For Tori, sound was OK'ish.. bass got a little boomy, the echo effects on her voice were annoying but, most importantly it was just too loud.  Maybe I'm getting too old... but, I'm primarily interested in receive what she's trying to convey and I think that got a little lost to me because it was over amplified.

My wife told me that the echo effects on her voice were probably an attempt to recreate Tori doing her own backup singing on the studio recordings.  She also enjoyed the variety of ways the songs were done live vs. the recordings.  However, both of us were a bit disappointed that she didn't play hardly anything from her new album.  Wifey really likes her latest album.

I asked her to write a review of the show.... we'll see if that pans out.  I'd post more now but I'm tired and going to bed.... because I'm so old I guess... ;)