DIY Speaker Project

zane9

DIY Speaker Project
« on: 31 Aug 2007, 12:15 pm »
Ever the naive audiophool, I want to take on a speaker project. Designs that interest me the most include the Zigmahornet (http://melhuish.org/audio/DIYTQ12.html) and well reviewed at 6moons,  and the Aria from Alegria Audio (http://www.alegriaaudio.com/Aria.htm).

I would prefer to take on my first project from a kit basis. The Aria is available in a kit, but it comes from the USA. That's not a big deal, but it would be great to support a local supplier. I would like to hear from forumites who have tackled a speaker project and who have some thoughts on sourcing the necessary components.

If this project actually gets going, I will post some pics during the process...some of which may show me weeping  :)

Thanks.

Rafal

• Artwork by Rafal Gwozdz
Re: DIY Speaker Project
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2007, 12:42 pm »
HI,

Check out this site:
http://www.frugal-horn.com/index.html
Dave Dlugos makes some flat pack kits and is a source of great deal of info on full range driver diy projects. Here is his site:
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

Also, let us know what type of speaker you are trying to end up with and I can try and recomment a particular design (I have done a few, 3 different open baffles, a double bass reflex and a BiB).

It's an awesome hobby. Even though I have a pair of speakers I'm happy with, I am still itching to build something.

Cheers,

Rafal

zane9

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2007, 02:07 pm »
...Dave Dlugos makes some flat pack kits and is a source of great deal of info on full range driver diy projects. Here is his site:
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/...

Thanks, Rafal. I recently emailed Dave @ Planet10, but have not heard back. I'll have access to a wood-working shop and will locally access lumber for the enclosures. It's the drivers and other items that I'll need.

I think my speaker interests are in line with the ones I referenced in my original post. Clearly I have a lot to learn: spending time looking through the posts on the diyaudio.com forum had my head spinning. But I'm looking forward to the challenge!

It would be great if you and others in TAAS would post your experiences with DIY speakers.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2007, 02:38 pm »
Hello again my GTA friend!

I have built a number of speakers in the last 5-7 years, and can comment about good suppliers, and places to start etc.

1 - Dave (Planet_10 here on AC) is great to deal with, but gets busy, so hang in there, he will get back to you!
2 - http://www.creativesound.ca/ is also a great place to order kits for speakers, and BC based.
3 - http://www.solen.ca/ is a great place to order parts, and is in QC.
4 - I think the Aria you have selected would be a wonderful project -  I own both the WR125S and FR125S, and should I ever decide to take apart the 2 sets of speakers they are in, and build another, that would be the place I would reuse those drivers.

I have built (OK, Daygloworange BUILT them, after I lent him the drivers!  Thanks again Denny!) a simple sealed FR125S speaker, and it does surprisingly well.  I have also built the WR125S into a full range ported box, and that was good.  I later added the tweeter and tweeter Xover to that box, in essence building the CSS KIT41.  I have also played around with design and build using 2 way components for a good friend of mine.  I have also built numerous subwoofers of different alignement type for home and car use.

Lastly, I have found the open baffle calling, and have built a number of those types of speakers.  In fact, I became so enamoured with the approach, that I became one of the moderators for that board here on AC.

For a simple start, I would suggest an FR125S in a sealed box of about 0.5 cubic feet.  Then, you can experiment with porting that box to see what the bass difference is.  Then you can consider buying the additional parts to build the Aria.  All that playing around will teach you the mistakes that YOU will make, when building boxes etc, and trust me, your 3rd try is SO much better than your 1st!

I would be happy to lend you some drivers etc, if you want to get your feet wet first, just playing with sawdust for free...

PM me, and let me know.

« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2007, 02:55 pm by mcgsxr »

zane9

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2007, 03:01 pm »
...I think the Aria you have selected would be a wonderful project -  I own both the WR125S and FR125S, and should I ever decide to take apart the 2 sets of speakers they are in, and build another, that would be the place I would
reuse those drivers....

For a simple start, I would suggest an FR125S in a sealed box of about 0.5 cubic feet.  Then, you can experiment with porting that box to see what the bass difference is.  Then you can consider buying the additional parts to build the Aria.  All that playing around will teach you the mistakes that YOU will make, when building boxes etc, and trust me, your 3rd try is SO much better than your 1st!

I would be happy to lend you some drivers etc, if you want to get your feet wet first, just playing with sawdust for free...

Hi Mark. As always, your post is so clear, detailed and welcome! I will read it carefully, and PM you when I am ready to "walk from the dugout to step up and swing at the ball". It's a challenge to transition from an involved audio listener (passive mode but with some tweaking) to a much more active mode. But to borrow from another passion of mine, I love to be both on the receiving end of being served a great meal and to cook for others, experiment with recipes, etc. So there are similarities. Much to learn, and the occasional disaster is a part of the process..both in the kitchen and in the shop!

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2007, 03:42 pm »

I have built (OK, Daygloworange BUILT them, after I lent him the drivers!  Thanks again Denny!) a simple sealed FR125S speaker, and it does surprisingly well. 

Hey Mark,

The box I built you was close to what the parameters for that driver called for in a sealed box (IIRC). I just used some cutoff pieces of MDF. It might however not be close enough to optimal volume, or proper dimensions for standing waves inside the box.

Glad you like it though.

If you guys in the GTA are interested in building your own stuff but don't have the tools to cut the parts, shoot me a PM and I'll get one of my guys to cut you the parts at cost.

We stock plenty of MDF in most thickness.

We have just ordered a heavy duty custom 3 axis CNC machine that'll be here in a few weeks, so if you have CAD files of the speaker boxes, you can just email me the files, and we'll have the machine whip 'em out for you.

Rock on.  :rock:

Cheers

Cacophonix

« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2007, 03:46 pm »
HI,

Check out this site:
http://www.frugal-horn.com/index.html
Dave Dlugos makes some flat pack kits and is a source of great deal of info on full range driver diy projects. Here is his site:
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

I highly recommend the frugel horn from planet10-hifi's site.
I built it and was amazed at how good it sounded ... total cost around $100!! Price/Performance ratio is off the charts.

Try it out and you will not regret it.

Or if you feel like spending a little more, check out bob brines fostex based designs. I recently built the FT1600MKII, and they are awesome on small ensemble music. Plans cost $25, and you supply the labor. Parts cost comes to around $200+.

Rafal

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2007, 04:15 pm »
Personally I really like the idea of either Fe126E Bipole Metronome (or Fe127E version - yet to be developed) and The Curvy Chang. Both can be seen at the Frugel horn site. The metronome has so much going for it. Non parallel sides, bipolar config. No crossover or filter before the drivers, Full range (except for the lowest bass) and good looks. If it were me, I would augment the bass with a nice little sealed sub but you may not need or want that. The metronome construction is also fairly simple (unless you want to be very precise about the compound edges.
Tha Curvy Chang is BIG! 1.5m if I remember correctly. It also looks cool and has very flat predicted freq. response. I think that with FE207E and a phase plug, it may sound very nice. Keep in mind that I haven't heard either of the above but if I were to build a speaker, it would be one of the above two.

Also, If you go with FE126e or FE127E, get them from Dave at Planet 10 HIFI. he mods the drivers and they sound very very nice. I used a pair for the BIB I made for my brother.

zacster

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2007, 05:23 pm »
The metronome's compound edges aren't worth worrying about.  I did a calculation of them all and the sides were less than one degree off from square.  The top/bottom is something like 2.5 degrees, that's all.  If I could get cuts that accurate in the first place in my basement "workshop" (just a few power hand tools) I'd be happy.  On a CNC machine that's a different story.

I haven't actually heard any of these designs, but I've been looking at them for a while now myself as my next build.  Probably the Metronomes, but if the flat pak for the frugel-horn is ever ready for sale I'd give that a try as then no cutting would be involved.   

Rafal

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2007, 07:35 pm »
Zacster,
Maybe we should share our thoughts and ideas when we make metronomes?
The collaboration could be interesting.
Cheers,
Rafal