Restaurant Quality Baked Potato

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: Restaurant Quality Baked Potato
« Reply #20 on: 24 Aug 2007, 02:45 pm »

Has anyone ever grilled corn on the cob, husk off and smoothered in garlic butter?  Mmmm...good.

Yeah. Mmm,Mmmm, good!

Cheers  :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 24 Aug 2007, 02:48 pm »

Has anyone ever grilled corn on the cob, husk off and smoothered in garlic butter?  Mmmm...good.

That is pretty much how we eat it all summer! 

DELICIOUS!!

George

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: 24 Aug 2007, 03:38 pm »
Have any of you tried skipping the butter and putting umeboshi paste on your corn instead?

Another item that might be of interest for corn, potatoes and other foods is Colorado Buffalo Salt. It's just salt mixed with pulverized, smoked jalapeno peppers. It comes in a shaker and sells for a bout $5 for 3.5 oz.

If you can't find it in your world try calling 1-888-922-3588. It gives a P.O. Box here in Grand Junction so I guess they make it here. I don't have any idea how wide the distribution is but if you like a spicy condiment, you will like this stuff. It adds instant "Mexican" to anything. Really good on fish and rice and eggs and..........
you name it.

some young guy

« Reply #23 on: 24 Aug 2007, 05:15 pm »
i make a lime-cayenne compound butter for grilled corn that's pretty damn tasty. another of my favorite corn things is smoked corn in buerre fondu (a little water with a ton of butter)... i think i may have mentioned that one in another thread here somewhere, that turned into a semantic argument about what is and what isn't buerre blanc. anyway, the last time i made it, i grilled up some barracuda and served it on the smoked corn-buerre fondu with a baby arugula-vidalia onion salad and champagne vinaigrette... also pretty damn tasty.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #24 on: 24 Aug 2007, 09:19 pm »
What kind of potatoes are you using? 
I wondered when this would come up. Most of the time, the wife buys a 10lb bag at the grocery store. Honestly, I've never checked the 'type'.
The other day she bought a bag of 'biggins' specifically for baking, but they don't identify origin, type, etc....

There's some very good information here. This weekend the family will have it's share of starch intake.  :lol:

Here's the tally so far: (I should make a poll...)

OIL
Canola.............1
Olive................4
Butter..............1

SALT
Kosher..............2
Sea..................2
unmentioned......1 (iodized table salt assumed?)

FOIL
NEVER...............4
Yes...................3 (including one convert to the 'never' category....possibly)  :lol:
Sometimes.........2 (depending on skin desired or outdoor cooking)

guys, thanks! keep up the good ideas.
I'm also liking the OT on the corn too.  aa
Any good info regarding 'taters or corn.....bring 'em on! (including toppings)  :drool:

Also, extra points for singapura for thowing Mr. Browns name into the mix.  :lol: He's the one to introduce me to Kosher salt in a beef tenderloin recipe. I think the recipe called for a few pounds of Kosher salt.  :o DAMN good beef.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 24 Aug 2007, 09:21 pm »
OH, I FORGOT...........

i make a lime-cayenne compound butter for grilled corn that's pretty damn tasty.

Elaborate please!

gitarretyp

« Reply #26 on: 24 Aug 2007, 09:24 pm »
If you stop using iodized salt and get used to kosher/sea salt, you will likely not be able to switch back to iodized. In my experience, iodized salt tastes funny (which negates one of the primary purposes of salt), and a ton of iodized salt is required to add much salty flavor.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 24 Aug 2007, 09:30 pm »
Very true about the iodized/table salt and the funny taste.
I use Kosher exclusively now.
I may have used table salt two or three times total in the past year since I did Alton Brown's beef recipe that used so much Kosher. I had plenty left over so I started using it to cook, then figured, 'what the hell', now it's dad's table salt:wink:
Mom and the kids still use iodized/table salt.

Bob

some young guy

« Reply #28 on: 24 Aug 2007, 10:27 pm »
OH, I FORGOT...........

i make a lime-cayenne compound butter for grilled corn that's pretty damn tasty.

Elaborate please!

soft butter (unsalted)
cayenne pepper
lime juice
lime zest
kosher salt (or fleur de sel)

mix together to your taste.
slather to your liking.
also good on grilled fish.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #29 on: 24 Aug 2007, 11:20 pm »
i have never had a good baked potato at a restaurant.  that's cuz i like 'em w/crunchy skins, & restaurant potatoes always have soft skins, ime.   for me, in the oven at 500 degrees for about an hour, w/a good idaho baking potato, usually does it.  then cut it open immediately, so it won't soften up from the internal heat...  i am perfectly happy w/no coatings whatsoever, as long as the skin is crunchy - i can flavor it as i wish once it's opened up...   :green:

doug s.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #30 on: 25 Aug 2007, 02:30 am »
What kind of potatoes are you using?
I wondered when this would come up. Most of the time, the wife buys a 10lb bag at the grocery store. Honestly, I've never checked the 'type'.
The other day she bought a bag of 'biggins' specifically for baking, but they don't identify origin, type, etc....
Here you go Bob......types of potatoes......... :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #31 on: 25 Aug 2007, 09:56 pm »
Thanks Chris!

Right now:

The steak is warming to room temp before going on the grill.
I coated the potatoes in some extra virgin and Kosher.
The 'taters have been on the top grate of the grill for about 40 minutes in indirect heat. {NO FOIL:nono:
Rotated once to insure "equalness".
Thought about using cryo'd foil to see what difference it makes.  :o OH Shit....Wrong thread, sorry.  :oops:
Beer is flowing.
I used the side burner of my gas grill to slightly burn an orange pepper (really a green pepper but genetically altered and grown hydroponically for quick sale to the soccer mom's because they're colorful).  :lol: This will be chopped and used for topping on potato.
Red wine from Chili is breathing.  aa
Bacon is sizzling (in cast iron pan of course  8)) to be used as "tater topper". Yea baby, now we're gettin' somewhere. All I need now is a Japanese steak knife.  :icon_twisted:

Anybody hungry?  :wink:
Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 25 Aug 2007, 10:28 pm »
:roll: :evil: :( :guns: :cuss: :sad: :thumbdown: :banghead: :shake: :bawl: :bomb:

Just went out to check on the potatoes, and put the steaks on the grill.............

.........Out of propane.  :?

Taters in the oven......anybody for panfried steak?  :duh:

Waiting for the beloved cast iron to heat up. It's all good. It'll be fine.  8)
I can handle adversity.  :wink:

Bob

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #33 on: 26 Aug 2007, 01:17 am »
:roll: :evil: :( :guns: :cuss: :sad: :thumbdown: :banghead: :shake: :bawl: :bomb:

Just went out to check on the potatoes, and put the steaks on the grill.............

.........Out of propane.  :?
That never happens to me Bob....I use charcoal.... :lol:

Hope your supper comes out ok..... :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 26 Aug 2007, 10:56 am »
Hey Wolf, I used charcoal up until last summer when we got this monster. I regret buying it.
Today I'll be visiting the fellow that 'borrowed' my spare propane tank last winter.

About the dinner; The meat was average. Ordinary.
No suprise there as I've not pan fried very often.
The potatoes were by far the best spuds I've ever made.

Guys, thanks for all the input and help. This was a success to say the least.

Bob