upsampling CDPs/transports into a Tact preamp

mdconnelly

upsampling CDPs/transports into a Tact preamp
« on: 20 Aug 2007, 03:48 pm »
Is anyone using a Tact pre with a CDP or transport that upsamples it's digital output?    I've got a full Aberdeen modded AA Tact 2.0s but my Wadia 830 CDP does not have digital output.   While the Wadia sounds very good, I have to think I'm paying a price for the double D-A-D-A hop.   I'm curious about units like the Cambridge Audio 840C or even the lowly Oppo 970/980 that can upsample the digital output to 24/96 or 24/192 since the Tact can accept that as digital input.

Any insight is appreciated...

miklorsmith

Re: upsampling CDPs/transports into a Tact preamp
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2007, 03:57 pm »
It's going to be upsampled in your player or in the TacT, or both if the player isn't using the 24/96 operating frequency of the TacT.  Overall I believe reducing processing cycles is wise, Especially A/D cycles.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2007, 04:33 pm by miklorsmith »

mdconnelly

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2007, 04:08 pm »
It's going to be upsampled in your player or in the TacT, or both if the player isn't using the 24/96 operating frequency of the TacT.  Overall I believe reducing processing cycles is wise, Especially A/C cycles.

I agree.  I understand that the Tact is performing all it's work in the digital domain at the upsampled rate and that it performs better from sources that feed it digital at the higher rate.  Just looking to see what experience people have with the Tact and such sources.  Certainly my current setup of having my CDP output analog into the Tact A-D board would seem sub-optimum.   As such, I'm considering replacing it with something that will be used primary as a transport.   Just want to know if this upsampling should be a factor in it's selection.   There seems to be a number of CDPs that do this.

miklorsmith

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2007, 04:36 pm »
If you find a CDP that does upsamples "better" than the TacT, it could be a factor.  My guess is with TacT's expertise in digital processing, combined with Aberdeen's extensive knowledge modding them, the TacT will be better at up-converting than most transport/players.

No matter what, the biggest increase in quality will be from going digital-out instead of analog.