multiple DEQ's for surround sound

CDWallace

multiple DEQ's for surround sound
« on: 14 Aug 2007, 08:12 pm »
Hi Everyone -

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he DEQ has both analog and digital outs on its rear. If I use the digital out sent to my receiver, then the receiver will process the signal from the DEQ in surround. I set the DEQ, then let the receiver do its job.

However, if I decide to use an analog multichannel setup, would I need at least 3 DEQ's to cover the 6 total channels? Would the same method as I mentioned above work as well, or should I go about it another way.

Thanks for your input!

Rich Carlson

Re: multiple DEQ's for surround sound
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2007, 09:28 pm »
I don't think the DEQ will pass a DD or DTS signal, though I haven't actually tried it.

CDWallace

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2007, 01:37 pm »
Thanks for bring DD and DTS to my mind, but I wasn't thinking of that signal initially. I was thinging about a digital signal from a CD Player (audio based).

My guess is if the signal is passed from the player through the DEQ to the receiver and then processed.
 - Side thought! Would the DEQ work better for room/frequency correction in this place? You'd be able to modify the signal to flat and then allow the processor to did its job, right?

Would the idea work for analog MC; just with 3 DEQ's?

Rich Carlson

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2007, 01:07 am »
I guess I'm not sure I understand your question, so here are multiple responses:

1. Yes, if you are talking about the digital output from a CD player, you can run it to the DEQ, do the equalization, then take the digital out to your receiver and let it do it's thing, including Pro Logic II, DTS Neo 6, or whatever kind of surround processing it will do on a 2-channel signal

2. You could take the multi channel analog output from a receiver or processors pre-outs, run it to the DEQ's analog inputs, and do your EQ with multiple DEQs to handle the multiple channels.  This has the disadvantage of multiple D/A - A/D conversions, which likely will reduce transparency - the DEQ's strength is in the digital domain, not in the A/D and D/A conversions.