digitizing 35 mm negatives for archiving.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
digitizing 35 mm negatives for archiving.
« on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:19 pm »
I am looking at this unit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/487000-REG/Pacific_Image_7250PRO3_PrimeFilm_7250Pro3_Film_Scanner.html

It seems to have the highest resolution on a machines that will accept films at this price range.  Does anybody have any experience with it?  Something better?  Or should I just drop all my negatives at a processor to have them digitized for once and be done with it?  BTW, I have a lot of nagatives.  :roll:

craig223

Re: digitizing 35 mm negatives for archiving.
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2007, 05:21 pm »
Before you spend the money on a scanner, consider your time.  I bought a film scanner back in Feb to scan my fathers slides.  There are about 60 boxes.  I am only half way through.  You have to not only scan, but sort, label, tweak, etc.  Plan on finishing the project for Christmas presents to my siblings.  You pay ~ $1 per image to get them scanned professionally - may be worth it.  I have started sorting out marginal slides and only scanning good ones to cut down on time.

Craig

TONEPUB

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2007, 05:27 pm »
The Nikon Coolscan V has better dynamic range and much better software.

That would be the one I'd buy in that price range....

And they do a fantastic job scanning negatives, which most of the others
do not.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2007, 07:05 pm »
Thanks,

I ordered one from digital4less.  My neighbor is going in with me so we can both digitize all our negatives and slides.  I understand it will take time and effort on my part but at least I don't have to pay for unwanted frames like I would have to if I used someone to digitize for me. 

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2007, 08:35 pm »
Uh, why would you send unwanted frames to someone for scanning? :scratch:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2007, 08:43 pm »
Uh, why would you send unwanted frames to someone for scanning? :scratch:

I have a bunch of negatives that are orphaned from the prints.  I am not good at looking at the negatives to see which picture I want.   :scratch:  With the scanner, I am assuming I can preview before scanning.

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2007, 09:09 pm »
Ahh, that makes more sense.

Yeah, like Craig said, it may be more work than you bargained for.  On one hand you want to take your time and make sure you do it right, but on the other you might think, "geez, this is too much like work!"  I've never really had occasion to scan color negatives myself, but I suspect they may need more color adjustment than a chrome.  Then again I am not up to date on the current hardware and software that's out there.  I use a Polaroid Sprintscan at work which was nice for awhile, but now I hate the damn thing.  Much like a bass node in your room, it's got a huge spike in the shadows so your blacks get all posterized.  That's the biggest downfall of low priced scanners, they just cannot see shadow detail worth a darn.  If you've got overexposed slides it's almost like a blessing! Heh!