anyone interested in film cameras?

drphoto

anyone interested in film cameras?
« on: 7 Aug 2007, 02:20 am »
I've got a Nikon F4s and a couple of lenses. Cosmetically pretty ugly (pro camera) but mechanically and optically sound.

Couple of Pentax 6x7 bodies and lenses. (these belong to my business partner...can get info if interested)

Hasselblad stuff. 500 C/M body w/ grid screen and prism finder, 500 ELX body (missing charger) both chrome. Black 50mm f4 C T*, black 80mm f2.8 C T*, black 150mm f4 CF T*, and silver 250mm f 5.6. 2 A12 mags, 2 Poloroid 100 mags (one missing glass, but works)  plus Hassy adj shade w/ adapters and case. These are also pretty ugly but glass is perfect and everything was rebuilt by Hasselblad factory shortly before being retired for digital.

Also have assortment of Sinar view stuff. 2 4x5 F models, 8x10 F and an 8x10 P. plus an assortment of glass.

Even more exotic.....some Broncolor lighting equipment inc Pulso 4 pack and original Hazylight.

JohnR

Re: anyone interested in film cameras?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2007, 02:44 am »
You bet. I use a Nikon FE-2 and a Zeiss Contessa. (Have others that don't get any use...)

TONEPUB

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2007, 06:24 am »
It's just too hard to deal with.  Considering that I shoot about 150 images for the magazine (that I end up using)
every issue, I'd have to shoot about 20 rolls of film, get it processed, get it scanned, eliminate the dirt from the
scans before I even started working on the images....

Couldn't do it and ever get the issue done!

I always say I'm going to go back to film for personal work, but I never have the time.  I haven't taken
a picture for just fun in a few years now.... except for the occasional vacation shots.

Since I bought the Canon EOS5D, the darn thing is just so handy.  With almost 14 megapixels, I can make
40 x 60 prints no problem. (have actually gone 4 x 8 feet with no prob..)  The CMOS chip has a very film
like response and the dynamic range is way better than I ever got with film, even using a drum scanner.

On top of that the high speed ISO quality is tough to beat.  I can shoot at 1600 and still get a great
cover shot.

So I think I'm at the end of the line for film.  Still have those Nikkormats and about 50 rolls of film
to get rid of.  Don't think I'll ever have time for it.  Grew up in the photo bus shooting 8x10 with
a Sinar and will always miss it, but the new dig stuff is really outstanding.

But I still like analog sound a lot!!

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2007, 01:26 pm »
Doesn't this sound like a discussion about LP vs CD or something?

BTW, even though I have not used them for approximately 2-3 years, I still keep my film cameras in the closet. 

My prize:  Rollei 35, the newer version with zoom and attached flash. 

My dream:  either an updated Leica M or an older version.  There is something about them and their ultra compact lenses. 

nathanm

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:25 pm »
Well I just processed my first batch of B&W 4x5 negs last weekend.  I was surprised I did everything right considering all the ways I could've messed up.  (meter wrong, load film wrong, mix chemicals wrong, mess up the timing, fog the film etc.)  Ha!  Not prefect, but they look really really good considering.  I used Ilford Delta 100 film and Perceptol developer.  They ain't kidding about the superfine grain.  Now I think I may have to do conventional prints after all.  I haven't been too impressed with the results of scanning, you have to tweak the hell out of the curves to make it look right. (very technical terms here you see...)  So perhaps I should stop fighting it and just make regular silver prints.  It's the control of Photoshop that I don't wanna give up!  I've done this all bass ackwards; starting with digital and moving into film.  I think it may be because when I got into the graphics biz it was at the time when computers were replacing all the old analog stuff and I never really got to use any of it.  My current office used to be a darkroom where I sat next to an enormous stat camera.

It's funny cause when I think about how it took me an hour to process 8 lousy photos it would seem ridiculous to think of doing this in a high paced production environment...BUT...that's how everybody used to do it so it ain't THAT crazy! Ha!  Technology marches onward, spoiling us as it goes!

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:35 pm »
Yep, I'd still love to have a Leica M....

But the new digital Leica sounds yummy too...

eico1

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2007, 06:30 pm »
You bet. I use a Nikon FE-2 and a Zeiss Contessa. (Have others that don't get any use...)

Hey John, I used my fathers Contessa for years from Tucson to Europe, what a great camera!

steve
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2007, 02:06 am by eico1 »