Best sub $600 DAC to use with both an Oppo 981 dvd player and SB3

Jon L

I had been using the Paradasia DAC for several months - went through several tube changes - upgraded the opamp etc.  It was a very nice sounding DAC but muddied up the bass and rolled of the highs(rounded them too) in my all tube system. 

So, I guess the Paradisea craze is officially over  :scratch:

The TADAC looks remarkably similar to Hagerman Chime DAC BTW!  I especially *enjoyed* this bit in the ad:

"Designed for PC digital audio-(computer USB to audio SPDIF data converter needed “Sound Blaster Live 24-bit external” ~$50 at Office Depot is best)"

Very inventive advertising, touting PC Audio capability, but you need to buy an external USB-to-spdif converter  :duh:

tdangelo

I had been using the Paradasia DAC for several months - went through several tube changes - upgraded the opamp etc.  It was a very nice sounding DAC but muddied up the bass and rolled of the highs(rounded them too) in my all tube system. 

So, I guess the Paradisea craze is officially over  :scratch:

The TADAC looks remarkably similar to Hagerman Chime DAC BTW!  I especially *enjoyed* this bit in the ad:

"Designed for PC digital audio-(computer USB to audio SPDIF data converter needed “Sound Blaster Live 24-bit external” ~$50 at Office Depot is best)"

Very inventive advertising, touting PC Audio capability, but you need to buy an external USB-to-spdif converter  :duh:
for me it is.  Its a great dac but just didn't work out in my system as it evolved ;)  It does look similar to the Hagerman but I couldn't find out what chip it uses.  My friend brought over his Paradisea last Sunday and we(3) all agreed my system was better with the Bolder SB2 analog outs.  I didn't have the TADAC then - just got it Monday.

Tony

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
I don't know that its over - its just not the killer deal it used to be when you could get a new one for $400.  I still think it offers very good performance for the money - a good way for someone to try an external DAC without spending a ton - and a good way to get some 'tuning' into the system via swapping tubes.

Bryan

jbsl

I have had my TADAC about 10 days now.  It is my first DAC and so far have been very pleased with the result.  I am going to send it back and have the Main Volume Knob added which adjusts the gain for both HF and the main output jacks from silence to full volume.  My speakers are 104 DB and having this feature would be nice. 

I went to the Hagerman website and there is a pic of the inside of the Chime Gold" USB DAC which is the same as the Chime USB DAC but in a different chassis and only the usb connections.  On another forum is a pic of the inside of the TADAC. 

I agree the outside of the TADAC looks similar to the Chime USB DAC kind of like a lot of tube amps looks similar from the outside but once you open them up there are diffrences :icon_surprised:.   

I do like that you can use the computer with the Chime without having to use something like the HAGUSB .  It would be wise for Paul  to offer that feature on the TADAC in the future.  I may go ahead and try the Hagerman  HAGUSB to connect my comp to the TADAC.

One question on the HAGUSB: the website says "S/PDIF digital audio output signal" which means you use a digital coax cable correct? 

Once I get the volume added to the TADAC I'll look into the HAGUSB and post how it works.

jbsl

Okay thought I would do a better review of the TADAC. 

Anyone interested in the TADAC do a internet search titled "tadac dac" and it brings up a couple of other forums with very favorable posts on the TADAC.

I bought a Cayin TA 30 tube int amp from Paul about 3 years ago so when I read good posts on Paul's TADAC I ordered it. Paul is one of the great things about buying the TADAC he has great customer service! 

So I only  had an extra $100 so I had to choose between the tube knob   :scratch:   or the gain volume control .
I went with the tube knob but will be sending it back to get the gain volume knob.

The volume knob is a plus cause it lets you adjust the gain from the TADAC to match your system. 

My speakers are 104 DB and the gain that is set on the TADAC is too high for my speakers. I get some distortion once I turn up the volume to levels that normally use on cd player.  So with the gain volume control it will help in my case.

For speakers 87-95(guessing here) the gain is probably fine.

The tube knob is really cool and fun to play with.  Think of it as a knob that lets you adjust the amount of harmonics to the sound. 

I usually have it set about 11:00,  7:00-4:00 being the range on the knob,  7:00 less of the extra 3d rich harmonics.  Turn the tube knob up and you get more of the 3D rich harmonics. 

Now I could be perfectly happy with the TADAC without the tube knob.  When I have the tube knob all the way to 7:00 it still sounds great!

With the tube knob certain recording just sounds as close to live as i've heard!  On other recordings it does add but not as much, and on some there is not much of a difference to my ears.  To other people all cds may have the tube knob extra sound. 

I am using the TADAC with a Denon 2900 DVD player as transport and I'm working on hooking up my computer to the TADAC. 

The TADAC does play SACD CDs , if the SACD does not have a cd version it will not play, do not confuse the stereo version for the cd version.  You can also use the TADAC with some DVD Audio but you may have to go into the set up and set it for 2 channel, stereo, dobly digital.  I have used it with movies and does a great job with centering dialouge but not as good as a 5.1 surround set up for movies. 

Last thing is the side switch.  It will let you switch between two transports hooked up to the TADAC.  For me I can easly reach the back and switch but if you can not reach the back then it may be helpful.

No regrets on my part and recomend it to anyone wanting a DAC that sounds great and lets you add some features if you want it.

How do you post pics?

doug s.

• makin' music
if you are willing to go w/only one input, i think you will be hard pressed to do better than this dac, for anything resembling a reasonable sun of money - bolder mensa di/o w/upgrade power supply.  i know of two folks who think it's better than the benchmark dac1, (which i have never tried, so i can't say, myself...)  i do know the modded art di/o is as good (imo) as the highly touted resolution audio & shanling cdp's, when used w/isolation transformers on the di/o & your transport:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1194572409

if i didn't awreddy own two modded di/o's, i would be all over this one!   :wink:

doug s.

NealH

Well, I have read that the Boulder-Mensa DI/O was a nice sounding Dac and, since I have not heard one I will not argue otherwise.  However, I did purchase a new DI/O a number of years ago and, it was one of the poorer sounding Dacs that I have ever owned.  Stident, bleached and dry is the way I remember it most.  Dynamic and extended, but also strident, bleached and dry.  At the same time I had a dcs Elgar/Purcel rig, Jolida JD-100 and MF Trivista dac.  All three sounded orders of magnitude better than the DI/O.   I have also owned the Benchmark Dac-1, though not at the same time as the DI/O.  I wasn't a big fan of the Dac-1's sonic signature either but, I do remember it sounding better than the DI/O.  Much better.   

I think the DI/O is the only audio product that I purchased new and literally threw it in the trash after owning it about 3 months.  I did not even want to sell it to some other audiophile because I would have had a guilty complex.   Fortunately, it was relatively cheap to begin with.

doug s.

• makin' music
i bought my di/o stock, ($149), & proceeded to mod it, in intervals, from all the excellent info awailable on line.  short story - the modded art di/o is NOTHING like the stock iteration.  the terms "strident, bleached & dry" simply do NOT apply...   8)

doug s.
Well, I have read that the Boulder-Mensa DI/O was a nice sounding Dac and, since I have not heard one I will not argue otherwise.  However, I did purchase a new DI/O a number of years ago and, it was one of the poorer sounding Dacs that I have ever owned.  Stident, bleached and dry is the way I remember it most.  Dynamic and extended, but also strident, bleached and dry.  At the same time I had a dcs Elgar/Purcel rig, Jolida JD-100 and MF Trivista dac.  All three sounded orders of magnitude better than the DI/O.   I have also owned the Benchmark Dac-1, though not at the same time as the DI/O.  I wasn't a big fan of the Dac-1's sonic signature either but, I do remember it sounding better than the DI/O.  Much better.   

I think the DI/O is the only audio product that I purchased new and literally threw it in the trash after owning it about 3 months.  I did not even want to sell it to some other audiophile because I would have had a guilty complex.   Fortunately, it was relatively cheap to begin with.