Bourne Ultimatum

Whitese

Re: Bourne Ultimatum
« Reply #20 on: 15 Aug 2007, 03:01 pm »
I kind of did not get into this one as much....some of the stuff is so Kische...I hate when they portray the company like this: It was so phony when they kept saying "People" lets do this, lets do that...People....geesh.

slow_down

« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2007, 03:03 pm »
Phil, I'm sure practical stuntwork limitations played  a role in how Greengrass shot the scenes - Damon's an athletic guy, but there's no way he could keep up with the trained fighters brought in on these films.  But I also think Plink is onto something when he says that viewers don't necessarily need to follow everything.  This approach is certainly not without controversy, and other filmmakers have shown the merits of a more visually organized approach.  The gold standard of this opposite approach, I feel, is Michael Mann.  Watching the bank robbery in Heat or even the industrial yard shootout in Miami Vice, I always felt like I had a good handle on where everybody was and just the whole geography of it. 

And going off topic for a second, I dare anyone to argue against the notion that the bank shootout in Heat is the single best shootout in the history of cinema!!!

But anyway, I'm saying that Greengrass's approach sure ain't for everyone, but it has MERIT and an aesthetic underpinning deserving of respect.  The guy's a real filmmaker, and his track record is just about perfect.  Sunday Bloody Sunday is one of the saddest and most intense docudramas ever made.  Same goes for United 93.  The Bourne movies have shown he can also do "commercial" with the best of them too.

slow_down

« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2007, 03:04 pm »
I kind of did not get into this one as much....some of the stuff is so Kische...I hate when they portray the company like this: It was so phony when they kept saying "People" lets do this, lets do that...People....geesh.

You were bothered by the use of the word "People"?

Just goes to show, you can't please everyone...

Whitese

« Reply #23 on: 15 Aug 2007, 03:18 pm »

You were bothered by the use of the word "People"?

Just goes to show, you can't please everyone...

that is just one example...the bad guys where just very predictably cliche/

Cacophonix

« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2007, 04:04 pm »

Dunno about others, but i didn't necessarily see them as "bad guys".
They had their ideals ... and thought of themselves as patriots. As far as they were concerned Bourne was a loose canon that was best silenced.

95bcwh

« Reply #25 on: 15 Aug 2007, 05:16 pm »
I tried to watch it on iMAX, but the handheld camera shooting really got to me and my wife. My head started spinning after half an hour so I left, but it was a tense story line, we will buy the DVD and watch it at home.

Plink

« Reply #26 on: 15 Aug 2007, 06:26 pm »

I agree with this but I'm assuming a big part of those books is cliched bad guys...usually the decisionmakers at the top of the food chain.  I never read the books (should have).  I was able to look pass this.  This third installment was kinda hollow but it was just done so darn well that I got caught up in it.  I still say it's one of the best and smartest action films I've seen (both Greengrass versions).

Whitese

« Reply #27 on: 15 Aug 2007, 06:47 pm »
I did like a lot Matt Damon's acting....he has a bit of those crazy eyes..

slow_down

« Reply #28 on: 22 Aug 2007, 07:42 pm »
Really interesting discussion on whether the camerawork in Bourne is shakycam brilliance or queasicam annoyance.  My posts on this thread show where I come down...

http://weblogs.variety.com/thompsononhollywood/2007/08/bourne-action-a.html#comments

viggen

« Reply #29 on: 24 Aug 2007, 04:47 am »
Uhmm... one of the things I look for in the Bourne films is cool interior design.  The previous two movies had great minimalist and bauhaus stuff.  The Ultimatum had hotel/office max furnitures.  So, my theory on the cinematography is that they want to gloss over the cheapness of their sets.

Woodsea

« Reply #30 on: 20 Sep 2007, 09:10 pm »
Just watched this a couple of days ago.  Excellent movie.  Matt Damon is the man.  I just read this thread, and I noticed the camera moving, but it just made the scenes more intense.   :thumb:

alan m. kafton

« Reply #31 on: 20 Sep 2007, 10:09 pm »
Exactly.   8)