What old or unusual equipment (audio or whatever) do you own?

Wayner

I thought this would be interesting to share. It is an Ammeter made by Dongan Instrument Co. of Albany, New York. It measures D.C. current up to 150 amps! It has a leather handle on top and 2 1/2" course threaded bolts with nuts on back to connect the wires. The outside wood box has a wood veneer on all sides with one chip in front. The faceplate is cast bronze.

I have seen a newer model by the same company in a porcelain enameled enclosure at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.. I did contact them, but it was such a hassle, I just decided to keep it. I have been told that this device may pre-date the invention of Alternating Current (thank you Mr. Tesla). Perhaps this ammeter was a tad more for an industrial environment.

Wayner

JohnR

Ahhhhh... now that is very cool! I don't have anything to remotely compare any more, but I do have a pair of nice big VOMs by Weston, an ex-navy inductance meter, and a TV-7 tube tester. I will try and dig them out for a photo shoot tomorrow.

nathanm

There's something you never see anymore; ornamentation on a piece of industrial equipment!  Who today when designing a case would think, "Yeah, some fleurons would look good here..." 

macrojack

• Restricted
I have an old pair of solid state Altec theatre amps. I took them as partial trade in an audio deal a couple of years ago. I thought I might use them to power my subs but my normally tolerant wife drew the line in front of them, pronouncing them "too ugly". I think they hail from the 60s. They are kind of primitive looking with green faceplates, tall and crude like the DC 300A but less refined. They definitely belong backstage.

I also have a pair of old rusty, hand forged handcuffs that I think are very cool.

jrebman

A 1927 RCA Radiola 17 -- one of, if not *the* first radio to use power from an AC wall outlet.  They also made a DC wall outlet version for the few places left (mostly Chicago and NYC areas) which still had DC house current.

This radio has also been in the family since day 1 when my grandfather bought it, or possibly got it as a wedding gift.  I think it cost around $130 in it's day -- extremely exxpensive at the time, and my grandfather was a working man of very modest means.

My dad and I are slowly restoring it to as close to original condition as we can.

-- Jim

jimdgoulding

Boy.  I don't think I can hang with you guys but I have what may be the first battery powered MC step up transformer, a Marcof PPA1, and a first generation Koetsu Black.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
I have my H.H. Scott LK48-B integrated amp that I bought at a Radio Shack when I was 16 or 17.  It was a kit and I wired it myself, a source of great confidence-building.  I bought a couple of 222-C factory versions (one rev back from mine) off eBay.  I am almost finished recapping one of them.  I also bought an LT-110 tuner (kit version) off eBay a year ago, as well as a 350 factory version.  I still have my Large Advents in walnut that I bought sometime around 1973.

Rashiki

I gave my father-in-law one of these for his birthday one year.

He thought it was cool. It's got a vacuum tube in there.

If you want one for yourself, you can still get one here: http://www.hosfelt.com/en-us/dept_55.html

-Rob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
I have a few old reel-to-reel decks with one of them being a tube "Bell" model that was made for in-wall installation. I forgot I even had it till I read this thread.

I also have some older tube oscilloscopes. One is a "Waterman Products" and the other is a Hickok OS-8B-U that was developed for "Navy Department Bureau of Ships" which is quite clean and still works.

gaetan8888

Hello

I have and still use a Telequipment 43A oscilloscope, it have 50 years old, not working good but still working.

Bye

Gaetan

some young guy

Re: What old or unusual equipment (audio or whatever) do you own?
« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2007, 04:49 am »
okay, it's not mine, but i used to have a room mate that had an old wire recorder. it was a very cool piece that still worked perfectly. who knows, maybe it will make a big comeback and replace SACD?