When is enough enough? Do you think you have reached it?

1000a

Re: When is enough enough? Do you think you have reached it?
« Reply #40 on: 8 Aug 2007, 06:18 pm »
Scott
I'll have to take a peek at the Inguz software. Sounds like it could do the trick too. Best part is it sounds like its done in the digital domain and (likely) doesn't mess with phasing and all that stuff, that and it doesn't introduce another piece of gear in the chain.

I looked into this breifly thinking it would alow me to tweek the sound of my streamed digital (mostly rock) that sounds poor-it was not clear to me whether I make permant changes to the file or just adjust the sound from the PC end out through the SB- anyway I think next to the SB this could be almost as important.

For me whats had me on this forum constantly for 6 months is the purchase of an SB3 (cdps for me are dead also).  This whole SB thing has had me tweeking everything especially the room treatments thing, 50% improvement.  In addition the front end is where my attentions have been.  An AC regenerater for that part of the system interests me and maybe a different amp.

Am I there yet close enough for me (I will probably do my normal sit out 2-4 yrs) that a few more little tweeks and DIY cables and I will be there (the amp is not necessary / so it will have to be a major upgrade)

I tend to have other hobbies but with you guys help I have easily bumped the quality of my system up considerablly in the last 6 months without spending to much $$ and bought tons of new music :D. I have in the past not made many changes so an amp change will have to really raise the bar cosiderably for me to bother.

1970s various lateral moves Keenwood-Pioneer ect
1987 NAD amp / great CDP
2002 Big Jolida tube / first outboard DAC / MH TT
2004 speakers
2007 SB /DAC /TVC and tons of DIY
so I have not changed often-and will just listen and check in 2 DAC gens later.

the room treatments have spoiled me - now I only look for massive upgrades without spending a fortune (so maybe a pure PP amp) I like big tube watts that can cruise along with grace and finese and smack me in the chest when called to so so. :D  Although this will cost- so I am not sure on this for now.

miklorsmith

« Reply #41 on: 8 Aug 2007, 06:32 pm »
it was not clear to me whether I make permant changes to the file or just adjust the sound from the PC end out through the SB

I believe there are ways to permanently reprocess the .wav or .flac files, but the basic Inguz correction or EQ methods are purely on the playback stream - i.e. no file alteration.

1000a

« Reply #42 on: 8 Aug 2007, 06:42 pm »
but the basic Inguz correction or EQ methods are purely on the playback stream - i.e. no file alteration.

excellent

TONEPUB

« Reply #43 on: 8 Aug 2007, 08:17 pm »
Scott:

If you miss tone controls, the Manley Massive Passive is killer!!!

stereocilia

« Reply #44 on: 8 Aug 2007, 09:03 pm »

I eventually faced up to the fact that making changes is a big part of what makes this hobby fun.  In other words, I'm in with the guys who say "the journey is the destination."

...unfortunately a costly destination

How true.  OTOH everthing has a cost/benefit ratio; you gotta pace yourself or risk burn-out, bankruptcy, ...