afffordable tube buffer.

weirdo

Re: afffordable tube buffer.
« Reply #40 on: 10 Oct 2007, 10:38 pm »
Rob,

I am a little leery for the same reasons    Adding a buffer, tubed or sand state, appears to fly in the face of keeping a simple, pure as possible, signal path.  Plus another set of ic's, power supply, etc.

Under most circumstances no one would disagree. What I added the buffer for was to try and improve or color or mellow out or change in some positive way the sound from a wheel barrel full of poorly engineered CD's. My other options are to wait until they are all remastered or get into vinyl in a big way. I will die waiting for the first option and and the other is just too big an investment for now.

iGrant

« Reply #41 on: 13 Oct 2007, 12:49 am »

Grant Fidelity B-283

http://grantfidelity.com/site/node/75

Mine and a good one.

Ian Grant
www.grantfidelity.com

Tweaker

« Reply #42 on: 13 Oct 2007, 01:00 am »
It's remarkable the similarity between the Grant buffer and the Yaqin.

denjo

« Reply #43 on: 13 Oct 2007, 01:02 am »
Hi Ian Grant

That looks like a very cool looking tube buffer! Very nice indeed!

Is there a control or setting for gain control?

I am told that placing the tube buffer between certain SS power amplifier and pre can send some DC into the amplifier and harm the amplifier and/or speakers. Is this true with your tube buffer?

Best Regards
Dennis

iGrant

« Reply #44 on: 13 Oct 2007, 02:05 am »
Hi Dennis, I have never heard of that happening, it is a line level device and the transformer is properly grounded. It could happen if someone swapped out another voltage transformer then that could be an issue if they didn't look at ground differences.

Simple no thump power switch, no extra gain circuits.

Tweaker, please see www.yaqin.ca or www.yaqin.us, most of the Grant Fidelity 'Affordable Series' is from the Yaqin Factory. Yaqin only makes 110v with the GF Branding and our grounding tweaks.

Thanks,
Ian

slbenz

« Reply #45 on: 29 Oct 2007, 02:58 pm »
I also purchased a Yaqin bufffer and found it took some of the "sparkle" out of the music. In an edgy/bright system that might be not such a bad thing but I did not like the result. I also did some tube rolling including a NOS Brimar and a NOS Amperex Orange World Logo tube and the result was pretty much the same with whatever I tried, even a Sovtek 6922(!). Where I found it to be great benefit though is driving my subwoofer,(and the 8ft long interconnects). I have a sub/sat speaker system and with the buffer in between the preamp outs and the sub the main speakers sound noticeably better. The bass has not suffered in the slightest as a result either, as far as I can tell.  I'm thinking anyone running a sub from a second set of preamp outputs, especially with long cables might benefit from using a buffer.

Just tried it with my subwoofer and agree with you that I like the results.  Also, did you try a JAN Phillips 6922 tube, the green label one?  Works really well in my system and it seems to enhance the highs in my system without being edgy.

Slbenz

JoshK

« Reply #46 on: 29 Oct 2007, 03:03 pm »
Hi Ian Grant

That looks like a very cool looking tube buffer! Very nice indeed!

Is there a control or setting for gain control?

I am told that placing the tube buffer between certain SS power amplifier and pre can send some DC into the amplifier and harm the amplifier and/or speakers. Is this true with your tube buffer?

Best Regards
Dennis

Typically the only way to get DC on the outputs of any line-level device is if it is DC coupled and poorly at that, meaning it doesn't have proper protection to ensure zero offset.  Most tube gear employs a coupling cap, which means its AC coupled and no DC can pass through to the outputs (except in more extreme cases with motor run caps and vintage PIO caps). 

iGrant

« Reply #47 on: 29 Oct 2007, 03:27 pm »
I also purchased a Yaqin bufffer and found it took some of the "sparkle" out of the music. In an edgy/bright system that might be not such a bad thing but I did not like the result. I also did some tube rolling including a NOS Brimar and a NOS Amperex Orange World Logo tube and the result was pretty much the same with whatever I tried, even a Sovtek 6922(!). Where I found it to be great benefit though is driving my subwoofer,(and the 8ft long interconnects). I have a sub/sat speaker system and with the buffer in between the preamp outs and the sub the main speakers sound noticeably better. The bass has not suffered in the slightest as a result either, as far as I can tell.  I'm thinking anyone running a sub from a second set of preamp outputs, especially with long cables might benefit from using a buffer.

Just tried it with my subwoofer and agree with you that I like the results.  Also, did you try a JAN Phillips 6922 tube, the green label one?  Works really well in my system and it seems to enhance the highs in my system without being edgy.

Slbenz

You might like this review of the B-283 on a bass rig, another bass player really enjoys the B-283 on his HT subs as well and his wife says thanx, because he has turned the sub volume down.

http://www.12stringbass.net/ProcessorReview.htm

If you have a great SS system already the B-283 may warm up the sound too much for your tastes. I've rolled quite a few tubes too, but always come back to Shuguang 6JI's supplied. My use is on my el-cheapo dvd front outputs and in the studio, especially on my soundcard outputs, seeing that my systems are all tube already.

There is a demo B-283 unit available in the Junior Auidophile circle, if you want to check it out.

Ian

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #48 on: 29 Oct 2007, 03:42 pm »
the only problem is you can get these for <$150, (shipping included), on ebay, all the time; many times even for $100 or less:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300164301010
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190167115031

doug s.

Slbenz

You might like this review of the B-283 on a bass rig, another bass player really enjoys the B-283 on his HT subs as well and his wife says thanx, because he has turned the sub volume down.

http://www.12stringbass.net/ProcessorReview.htm

If you have a great SS system already the B-283 may warm up the sound too much for your tastes. I've rolled quite a few tubes too, but always come back to Shuguang 6JI's supplied. My use is on my el-cheapo dvd front outputs and in the studio, especially on my soundcard outputs, seeing that my systems are all tube already.

There is a demo B-283 unit available in the Junior Auidophile circle, if you want to check it out.

Ian

iGrant

« Reply #49 on: 29 Oct 2007, 04:05 pm »
the only problem is you can get these for <$150, (shipping included), on ebay, all the time; many times even for $100 or less:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300164301010
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190167115031

doug s.

Hi Doug, we know :), you are welcome to go get one, but you don't get Grant Fidelity's support or warranty. Our rebranding of our Yaqin products will be complete and available mid/late November, with new looks. New designs are coming out next year.

Also you can always get something cheaper on eBay, we are focusing on getting dealers so you can demo the products and have a warranty path, which adds a bit to the cost.

We are pretty up front about about what and how we are doing it. If your interested you can read about it here:

http://grantfidelity.com/site/node/120

Best,
Ian

slbenz

« Reply #50 on: 29 Oct 2007, 06:12 pm »
Ian,

Thanks for the link.  Looks like your customer really liked your product.  Let me share a my link to a review I did to compare the Yaqin Tube Buffer to the Musical Fidelity X10v3:  http://www.epinions.com/content_312424107652.
To comment about the Yaqins on eBay, my concern is what you mentioned, warranty issues and having to send it back overseas for issues.  Also, even though some of the sellers have a trial period if you are not satisfied, I would be responsible for overseas shipping costs and possibly lost goods.  The Yaqin I purchased from Pacific Valve and Electric Company uses the more common single 6DJ8/6N11/6N1 twin triode tube and my two Yaqins were supplied with Chinese 6N1 tubes.  I am glad to see a North American company providing the 6J1 based Yaqin designed tube buffer with warranty and support.  You help give us choices and piece of mind when we purchase.  What you and Pacific Valve and Electric Company are providing us with quality products at lower prices that can compete with the likes of Musical Fidelity and others and give us the piece of mind knowing that if something did go wrong, you would be there to support us.  I wish you the best for your business.

Slbenz     

Tweaker

« Reply #51 on: 29 Oct 2007, 07:57 pm »

Slbenz

I have not tried the JAN Phillips 6922 and may have to but with the tubes I did try the only difference I could hear was that the highs were rolled off. No warming up of the mids or anything which surprised me as I have pretty sensitive hearing. (I have brass conepoints under my gear because of the difference I can hear when compared to stock rubber feet). I'm guessing that the reason for that may be that the impedance matches between my preamp/amps and DAC/preamp must be pretty ideal so there's nothing for the buffer to "fix".
You know, it was the review of yours on epinions that convinced me to buy the buffer, also from Pacific Valve.  :thumb:
Again, it's something I highly recommend for anyone driving a sub using preamp outputs. It's not so much that it made the bass sound that much better, although I think a solid state buffer like the Burson probably would, but that the buffer relieving the preamp from interacting with the sub really allows the preamp to drive the main amp(s) better. 
I also like the tube glow when the lights are turned down. :D

slbenz

« Reply #52 on: 29 Oct 2007, 08:27 pm »
Tweaker,

Thanks for the vote of confidence with my review on Epinions. :)  Luckily, my tube dealer let me try over a dozen tubes, NOS, vintage, Japanese, etc. and I settled on the JAN Phillips in my system.  If I try the stock 6N1 or a couple of the 6DJ8 tubes that I have, I can replicate what you describe, a slight rolling off of the highs.  In stock form, the Yaqin is rolled off vs. my stock Musical Fidelity X10v3.  But with the JAN Phillips, there is much more sparkle and air vs. the MF.  Did you also try changing out the stock power cord and use one of Herbie's Audio Labs tube dampers?  Both upgrades will transform your Yaqin relatively inexpensively.  And you know my Magnepans are very unforgiving.  Thanks for sharing.

Slbenz 

BrassEar

« Reply #53 on: 30 Oct 2007, 10:25 pm »
Can anyone comment regarding the differences between the Grant and Pacific Valve versions? The Grant uses two tubes and the PV uses only one. Which tubes configuration is more flexible? I don't want a unit with hard to find tubes.

TIA

iGrant

« Reply #54 on: 30 Oct 2007, 10:55 pm »
Hi, the GF B-283 two tube version is the last version, the single tube version is no longer manufacturered. I never heard the single tube version, so cannot comment on it, people have dug up quite a few tube rolling options for the B-283 and the stock Shuguang 6JI's sound fine and are easily to source (we have them of course).

Ian

iGrant

« Reply #55 on: 31 Oct 2007, 02:47 pm »
Ian,

Thanks for the link.  Looks like your customer really liked your product.  Let me share a my link to a review I did to compare the Yaqin Tube Buffer to the Musical Fidelity X10v3:  http://www.epinions.com/content_312424107652.
To comment about the Yaqins on eBay, my concern is what you mentioned, warranty issues and having to send it back overseas for issues.  Also, even though some of the sellers have a trial period if you are not satisfied, I would be responsible for overseas shipping costs and possibly lost goods.  The Yaqin I purchased from Pacific Valve and Electric Company uses the more common single 6DJ8/6N11/6N1 twin triode tube and my two Yaqins were supplied with Chinese 6N1 tubes.  I am glad to see a North American company providing the 6J1 based Yaqin designed tube buffer with warranty and support.  You help give us choices and piece of mind when we purchase.  What you and Pacific Valve and Electric Company are providing us with quality products at lower prices that can compete with the likes of Musical Fidelity and others and give us the piece of mind knowing that if something did go wrong, you would be there to support us.  I wish you the best for your business.

Slbenz     

Hi, know your review quite well :) I did a lot of research prior to going with Yaqin as a manufacturure. We are leaning towards straight OEM with Yaqin for our new GF models. Thanks for your comments.

Ian