New SongTower QWT launch

jsalk

Re: New SongTower QWT launch
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jul 2007, 12:19 am »
tvyankee -

Dennis was right.  I was building speakers.

As for "breathing room" requirements, Dennis pretty much answered that.  The only other thing to keep in mind is that these speakers are only 11" deep.  So given the same amount of breathing room, HT3's, for example, would come out into the room 4" more.

Other than that, the room will have a great impact on what you are able to do.  Keeping the speakers away from corners will allow closer placement to the walls.  The answer to your question is so room dependent, it is hard to provide an iron-clad response.

prpixel -

As Dennis indicated, we are building the cabinets. Our initial plans were to have the cabinets built off-shore.  But I emailed the cabinet drawings about 2 months ago and was told I would have a reply within a week or so.  After another email exchange and still no response, we decided to look into mass production techniques that would allow us to produce the cabinets at a reasonable cost (which for a speaker selling at this price is by no means easy).  So, for now at least, we will continue to build them and refine mass-production skills.  Who knows, perhaps we'll have to take on some investors and pick up a CNC router.  Now that would be fun!

- Jim

bkatbamna

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jul 2007, 02:24 am »
Nice update on the website.  I was wondering when that was going to happen.

jsalk

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jul 2007, 03:17 am »
bkatbamma -

Nice update on the website.  I was wondering when that was going to happen.

Thanks for the kind words.  The web site is a work in progress.  I spent the last few week-ends re-working some of it and decided to post the changes.  But there are more on the way.

- Jim

HT cOz

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jul 2007, 12:19 pm »
Hey Jim what veneer was used for the test mules?  Those looked nice!!!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 26 Jul 2007, 03:28 pm »
Glad to see transmission lines and Martin King get some more recognition.   :thumb:

I've been running Bob Brines' FTA-2000 speakers for 3 years that use King's MLTL MathCad application and previously owned Irving Fried's MLTL speakers since the late 70s.  King's work has hopefully opened the door to much deeper, more musical bass with cleaner midrange (the rear wave doesn't bounce straight back, and through, the cone thus smearing the sound). 

The only pair of speakers I ever built were Fried's MLTL bass units that had two 180 degree bends.  Since I (a very amateur wood butcher) did it, I'm sick of hearing how complex and difficult to build MLTL are to build.  The other compliant I've heard is how big MLTL speakers are.  Examples like the SongTower should dispell that myth as well.

jsalk

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jul 2007, 04:26 pm »
HT cOz -

Hey Jim what veneer was used for the test mules?  Those looked nice!!!

The original prototyes were made in curly maple.  But I suspect you are talking about those shown in this thread.  They were done in honey locust which is quite similar in appearence to Swiss pearwood.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jul 2007, 04:32 pm »
JLM -

This is the second model we have developed that are based on the fruits of Martin King's labor.  The other is the Veracity QW, which some have described as the best 2-way speakers in the world.  I woulnd't be so bold as to make that statement, but often wonder why we haven't recieved orders for more of them.

Perhaps the SongTowers will espose more people to the beauty of transmission line speakers and expand the demand for the QW's in the process.

- Jim