lavry- best DAC for the price??!

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: lavry- best DAC for the price??!
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jul 2007, 04:30 am »
my preamp has a phase inwersion switch, but i never use it.  because, altho i can sometimes hear a difference when switching back-n-forth, i can never discern any appreciable differences in any particular aspect of the sound to say one is better than the other.  then, there's the fact that some software is phase-inwerted, some not, and there's some where the cuts within a specific disc, (both digital and winyl), are randomly recorded w/their phase inwerted or not...

ymmv,

doug s.
what interests me about the Lavry is the phase invert switch. Does anyone know of another similar priced DAC with phase invert?

What I need for quality is something that will be representative of the better DACs, so that I can plug (through a digital switchbox) 3 different digital sources and make valid comparisons about the sound, when mixing my recordings.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 21 Jul 2007, 04:53 am »
another dac i'd like to audition would be the mytek stereo 96 dac.  this dac lists for $995, & can be found from pro audio shops for a bit less.  many engineers prefer it over the lavry, benchmark, apogee, & others.  mytek has an interesting link where you can download different recordings that have compared the mytek to different dacs:

http://www.mytekdigital.com/compare/comparison1.htm

http://www.mytekdigital.com/
http://www.mytekdigital.com/products/stereo96dac.htm

doug s.

1000a

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jul 2007, 06:16 am »
Mike....
I do own a TT, and plenty of Lp's....but I have not played them in years.
So.....I'm in the Cd camp for convenience.....and I do own a few Dac's, last count was six... :wink:
                                        Chris

Six :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: no wonder you told me don't worry its OK to have a few DACs :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #23 on: 21 Jul 2007, 06:31 am »
Mike....
I do own a TT, and plenty of Lp's....but I have not played them in years.
So.....I'm in the Cd camp for convenience.....and I do own a few Dac's, last count was six... :wink:
                                        Chris

Six :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: no wonder you told me don't worry its OK to have a few DACs :lol:
Right....and a few preamps.....and a few amps....and a few cd players....and a few of everything.....a nice variety.... :thumb:

Hey.....nothings perfect ! :wink:

1000a

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jul 2007, 09:34 am »
 :duh:  Excellent I will check my credit card balance tomorrow (not the interest :banghead:) and have that stuff delivered ASAP.  Nothing like the internet I do not even need to leave the sweet spot, just wait for UPS to knock. :thumb:

and now that I got the green light its perfect, I have been  :drool:  and picked out each piece a long time ago. 8)

Housteau

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jul 2007, 09:12 pm »
Yes, the Mytek stereo 96 dac does look very interesting and they do supply good comparisons and comments by noted individuals.

NewBuyer

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jul 2007, 10:08 pm »
Yes, the Mytek stereo 96 dac does look very interesting and they do supply good comparisons and comments by noted individuals.

I agree that Mytek DAC looks very interesting. Thanks for posting this, I had not seen this DAC before...