0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 1 Aug 2007, 04:24 pm

GAS Reference Recording Update and Meeting

Scott F.

GAS Reference Recording Update and Meeting
« on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:24 pm »
Guys,

I wanted to give everybody an update on our GAS Reference Recording. The final editing is complete and we’ve got the discs ready.

Before we get into our Reference Recording, I guess it’s finally time to let the cat out of the bag. During the past month or so, John (Blaine), Dennis (Bergin), Adrian and I have been having conversations about a major project. Last evening Steve, Tim and I went over to John’s house to talk to him about this project.

As most all of you know, John has been a recognized recording engineer for many decades. Johns recording collection literally fills three or four rooms of his house. The media spans open reel tapes to Betamax tapes (all the rage at one time) to DAT’s and CD’s.

What John is offering is to let Gateway Audio Society produced and distribute select pieces from his vast accomplishments. In simpler terms, he is giving us the opportunity to start a record label and will provide us the material to sustain it.

It doesn’t stop there. Besides select access to John’s previous works, we also have a number of future recording sessions loosely planned. Obviously we want John to record Adrian in a string quartet but we also have Mark and Lisa Blackmore who have offered to put together a Brass Quintet and then John and Dennis want to combine and record select pieces of Organ and Brass music (there is a huge catalog of music to select from there).

All may seem quite rosy on the surface but before we jump headlong into this we need to step back and take a look at what this will entail. First and foremost, this small (possibly non-representative) group of us feel that this effort (should it move forward) should be a not-for-profit enterprise. Once the label is up, running and can sustain itself, any profits garnered after paying musicians and John for their efforts should go to either promoting Music and the Arts or possibly a scholarship fund that we sponsor (again for music majors).

Then comes the legal aspects of this record label. We have to be completely above board with everything we do. This means the (near) immediate formation of a not-for-profit corporation. We’ll need a board of directors, a bank account, specific accounting procedures and so on. Next, we’ll need to negotiate with the music publishers and secure the rights (read=pay them money) for any of the music we record and distribute.

Then there is the actual production of the CD’s. Here we are talking about everything from CD duplication, the artwork for the blank CD, to the cover art for the CD to the liner notes to printing all the way down to stuffing CD’s into mailers and sending them to potential customers.

One of the brightest points about this is that we, the Gateway Audio Society (as far as I know), will be the only audio society out there that is self producing music on our own label and promoting arts and music education. This will make us completely unique amongst our peers.

All of this is going to take a commitment. Personally, I don’t’ foresee it being a major time consumer but it will take some effort and dedication for your individual task. Please keep in mind, I don’t think that two or three of us can pull this off. This will need to be a group effort.

That said, Tim is checking to see if we can use The Sound Room to have an all hands meeting to discuss this. We are thinking of gathering on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday of next week or the possibly the week after. Tim will make a post to confirm the availability. Do me a favor and check your schedules. This is one that we need as many people at as possible.

Be sure to click on the date above which works best for you.

Just a few tidbits of trivia…..

Did you know that Dennis Bergin (our acclaimed organist) is a four time National award winning organist? Here’s a quick bio and article on Dennis from his alma mater, WSU.
http://webs.wichita.edu/dt/insidewsu/show/article.asp?233

What some may not realize is that John Blaine is a Grammy Award recipient. John was the recording engineer for a Classical album that was nominated and subsequently won a Grammy.

electricbear

Re: GAS Reference Recording Update and Meeting
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2007, 06:52 pm »
Is this cool or what? :D :D

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2007, 06:54 pm »
Very cool, I voted for a day ... looking forward to meeting some new people.

steve k

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jul 2007, 07:02 pm »
To add to Scott's post, John Blaine was kind enough to premiere the new reference GAS recording for us on his system last night. He gave us 30 copies for our membership, which we'll have at the all hands meeting coming up. So if you want a copy, you'll need to be there. Here's some pics of John's totally awesome system. It really had a lifelike soundstage and the stat panel was seamlessly integrated with the 12" woofer. These Martin-Logan Monoliths were actually prototypes that William Hoekstra, former recording engineer for the St. Louis Symphony (and John's mentor) received from Gayle Sanders to evaluate. The dynamics on pipe organ were hair raising. This is a great opportunity guys!!!

steve k

DeadFish

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jul 2007, 07:08 pm »
 :o
Wow!
 :thumb:

drummerwill

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2007, 07:34 pm »

Yeah Wow!

Sarmck

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2007, 08:12 pm »
GAS Members,

Congratulations and best wishes on the upcoming adventure.  If there is anything that I could do to contribute from a remote location, please let me know.

Please put me on the mailing list for future recording sessions...to listen, not play.

Ron

sturgus

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2007, 08:37 pm »
It started out just wanting to meet other people and hear different systems. Now it looks like were on the verge of having a record label and a hand in how some of the musics sounds.  :D Only in America. You gotta love it. 8)
Sturgus

bmed

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2007, 08:55 pm »
This sounds awesome guys.  Of course, all this has to start now that I'm in Nashville----conspiracy?????
I'd still like to be involved from my headquarters in the Music City if you need any help.   

Brad

Scott F.

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2007, 11:22 pm »
Great pics Steve  :thumb:

I've got to say, over the years I've always looked past the Martin Logan's for one reason or another but John's setup has me rethinking my position. Biamped and actively crossed over with the Pass Labs X350 on the top and the Threshold driving the woofers was most impressive. The woofers integrated extremely well with the panels (and thats damned hard to do).

Quote from: Sarmck
Congratulations and best wishes on the upcoming adventure.  If there is anything that I could do to contribute from a remote location, please let me know.

...send beer  :lol:

Hey Brad, normally I'd type something goofy like send some hot young blonde country sanger our way but I think my lovely wife is reading this post, so I can't say that.

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2007, 12:35 pm »
Greetings!  I posted a link to this thread over at the ML Club...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=4675

Please invite John to post details/pics of his setup over there, as quite a few of us would be interested to know more.  BTW, what's that round gray thing on the shelf under his Pass amp?

Also, luv your idea to start recording.  I'm also a member of the Tampa Bay Listening Society, but we don't have the capability for such an undertaking.  Looking forward to watching your venture evolve!

Sarmck

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2007, 12:57 pm »
Quote from: Sarmck

...send beer  :lol:

I'll see what I can do.  I remember when we had lunch the day of the GAS Music Caravan '07.  And that was just a small portion of the GAS group.  I guess I'll have to divert some funds previously targeted for the kids college education. 

Here's to ya'.   :beer:

Ron

mark@marktwain

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2007, 01:24 pm »
This is just too much! As others have said wow, cool, awesome, ditto to all! As much as I would like to make the meeting I don't think I will be able to. I do want to be involved in this project though so let me know if I can be any assistance from a distance. Can I still get a copy of the recording if I don't attend the meeting, please, pretty please? aa

I remember when we had lunch the day of the GAS Music Caravan '07.  And that was just a small portion of the GAS group.

Ha, Ron ya know that's just because Sturg kept ordering extra beer's!  :dunno:

Mark

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2007, 01:35 pm »
This is just too cool.  What a unique opportunity.  I'll do what I can to help out Scott.  Just let me know what you need.

As for a day, I didn't vote - Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday are fine with me.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this - and special thanks to John for working with us on this. 

Bryan

steve k

« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2007, 02:07 pm »
Thanks for the interest, Sleepy. The gray cyclinder is a Variac variable transformer that John uses to tweak the voltage to the panels. I read some of the posts on the ML forum. I have to agree, somehow that table under the Pass Labs looks overworked!
steve

electricbear

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2007, 07:38 pm »
We have been granted permission to use the store again. Scott just let me know the descision on the date so I tell Tony our GM. 

Scott F.

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2007, 09:07 pm »
Tim,

By the looks of it, next Wednesday the 25th seems to be the date. Lets let this run for a couple of more days. I'll bump it a few times between now and then to make sure everybody sees it and we can make the call Saturday.

Hey Bob in St Louis, did you see the post?

jedi35

« Reply #17 on: 20 Jul 2007, 05:04 am »
Hey Scott,

Sorry, but I'm still tied up with The Lion King until the end of the month, and then I'll be heading up to Toronto for a bit. I'm sure that I'll be able to keep track of what's happening as we move along. BTW, I'm curious as to your thoughts about the email I sent you from Martin Logan about altering my Quests. I'm also going to pick up a Variac variable transformer. I'm interested to hear the differences that it can make in my system. I've wondered what this device was in John's system for years, and now I finally know what it's used for, and that it should benefit me as well. I'm also working on getting John's previous amp (the Threshold Model 4000) and Threshold preamp up and running, to be used in my system. I can't wait to hear what that will sound like, along with my Krell monoblocks.

Mark,
Recordings will be made available to everyone. Scott has a bunch of them.

Adrian

Docutech

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jul 2007, 09:45 pm »
Wonderful news guys!  Sounds like a very exciting opportunity!

I am able to do it on Wednesday.

Scott F.

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jul 2007, 10:33 pm »
Hiya Adrian,

Yep, got the schematic and looked at it briefly. Like you I'm tied up likely until mid to late August trying to get these buildings finished for the start of the new school year. I'll try giving you a buzz maybe early next week.