Let's Talk Jazz

ZLS

Re: Let's Talk Jazz
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jul 2007, 11:49 am »
    Alto Sax: Johnny Hodges of whom it was said, "How can he play so sweet but swing so hard"
    Tenor Sax: Lester Young
    Piano: Count Basie
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2007, 04:53 pm by ZLS »

martyo

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jul 2007, 01:53 pm »
I would have to add: Piano, Keith Jarrett

WEEZ

« Reply #22 on: 18 Jul 2007, 02:08 pm »
...or Chick Corea...

martyo

« Reply #23 on: 18 Jul 2007, 02:50 pm »
I bring this up because IT IS about jazz, not Bela. Earlier is was suggested that Bela plays jazz because apparently he can make a better living at it than bluegrass. I don't think that is the case at all. I have the DVD "Live at the Quick" and there are also interviews on it and he talks about how hard it was to leave the New Grass Revival, all the players were so good, but that he felt confined. Even as they were pushing the limits of what bluegrass had been. About a "defining moment" he had in '77 at a Return to Forever show. 2 weeks ago on PBS his concert was laced with interviews repeating those same stories. Talking about how it occurred to him that the great banjo players only used the same groups of frets, about half of them, when playing and he started practicing scales incorporating all the frets. Taking instruments to new places. Always pushing the envelope, incorporating disciplines in their playing that forces them to play different every night. It's the Jazz.

Thanks

Airborn

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:37 pm »
Often overlooked is the great jazz trumpet player Clifford Brown.  As good as Miles in many ways, IMO.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #25 on: 18 Jul 2007, 05:38 pm »
I bring this up because IT IS about jazz, not Bela. Earlier is was suggested that Bela plays jazz because apparently he can make a better living at it than bluegrass. I don't think that is the case at all. I have the DVD "Live at the Quick" and there are also interviews on it and he talks about how hard it was to leave the New Grass Revival, all the players were so good, but that he felt confined. Even as they were pushing the limits of what bluegrass had been. About a "defining moment" he had in '77 at a Return to Forever show. 2 weeks ago on PBS his concert was laced with interviews repeating those same stories. Talking about how it occurred to him that the great banjo players only used the same groups of frets, about half of them, when playing and he started practicing scales incorporating all the frets. Taking instruments to new places. Always pushing the envelope, incorporating disciplines in their playing that forces them to play different every night. It's the Jazz.

Thanks

Good point.  Good DVD.

chadh

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jul 2007, 07:12 pm »

I think if one were trying to put together a list of the undeniable geniuses of Jazz, all of the following would have to be included:

piano: Thelonious Monk, McCoy Tyner, Bud Powell, Duke Ellington
bass: Charles Mingus
drums: Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Tony Williams
guitar: John McLaughlin, Django Rheinhart

Chad

richidoo

« Reply #27 on: 18 Jul 2007, 07:55 pm »
Often overlooked is the great jazz trumpet player Clifford Brown.  As good as Miles in many ways, IMO.

Yes. Clifford was the peak of it all.

Washinton Post Article Commemorating 50th anniversary of Brownie's death.

lazydays

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jul 2007, 12:04 am »
You left off Jimmy Smith for the B3..... :hyper:

I just forgot him, I had the name Smith in my head, but seemed like I was answering the phone every five minutes while posting this. No doubt he's got the groove.
    Not trying to change the subject, but I recently heard Rhyne play with Fareed Haque (sp), and Rob Dixon, doing several cuts from an upcomming CD. I think he's better now that he was with Montgomery! I mean to say the old boy has really got a groove going right now.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jul 2007, 12:24 am »

I think if one were trying to put together a list of the undeniable geniuses of Jazz, all of the following would have to be included:

piano: Thelonious Monk, McCoy Tyner, Bud Powell, Duke Ellington
bass: Charles Mingus
drums: Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Tony Williams
guitar: John McLaughlin, Django Rheinhart

Chad

the reason I refered to Rubacalba was that he name is the one name that everybody agrees on as one of the very best if not the best. I like the way he does standard, but I also listen to Tyner, and Monk. I think Basie was a better pianist that the four you mentioned. Probably Rubacalba and Kieth Jarrette are the best that I've heard, but a lot of times think Garland and Bill Evans were the best.
   Myself I like Wes Montgomery, but right now John Schofield is the best by a long shot. He can play anything, and play it well.
   I just forgot all about the drums. Elvin Jones is my favorite. But one must not forget Brian Blade, Art Blakey, and just about anyone that played with Miles davis.
   With the bass I actually listen to Mingus  more than Brown, but my pick of Brown was from his peers. Scott LaFaro was (and still is) regarded as the very best upright bass player this planet has ever heard. He died at the old age of 21 (car wreck), and most think he would have been to the bass what Miles was to the trumpet. At the International Bassist Convention a few years back they did a tribute to him, and played tapes that have never been released. This kid had it in spades! I might add that somewhere in there I needed to add Marc Johnson, as nobody plays the neck as well as he does. Lynn Seaton was (and still is) held in very high esteem by his peers, and has played with everybody.
gary

lazydays

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jul 2007, 12:26 am »

Thanks

what I said about Bela was right from him. I've met him a couple times, and he is that good.
gary

mjosef

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jul 2007, 04:56 am »
Sun Ra Arkestra.
Ornette Coleman.
Art Ensemble of Chicago.
Sam Rivers.
Charlie Haden.