New Statement SB3 comments from July 15th DAM gathering

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Ok, Wayne, here is what was said in a different thread:

...it was possible to hear that the Statement SB3 was sounding better than Mike's modded SB2 with the Gold Bybees, Sonicap Platinums and Gen2 with large Sonicaps in the output. I was VERY pleased to hear that. Finally I can say that the SB3 can be made to sound better than the SB2. All it takes is a lot of money  Laughing If anyone wishes to discuss more about this mod, please post the questions in the BOLDER Cable circle.

So how and why does the SB3 sound better than a SB2?

George

Charles Calkins

Re: New Statement SB3 comments from July 15th DAM gathering
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2007, 04:05 pm »
Now,now George. Your question is almost impossible to answer. You've got to hear the SB3 they're talking about yourself. Then possibly you'll hear some difference.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2007, 04:25 pm »
Ok, Wayne, here is what was said in a different thread:

...it was possible to hear that the Statement SB3 was sounding better than Mike's modded SB2 with the Gold Bybees, Sonicap Platinums and Gen2 with large Sonicaps in the output. I was VERY pleased to hear that. Finally I can say that the SB3 can be made to sound better than the SB2. All it takes is a lot of money  Laughing If anyone wishes to discuss more about this mod, please post the questions in the BOLDER Cable circle.

So how and why does the SB3 sound better than a SB2?

George

Lots of really expensive parts :lol:

The Statement SB3 is an outgrowth and refinement of the mods I have been doing to all the various SBs.

The latest version (Enthuisast level) has all of the internal power supply caps replaced. There are certain values that are replaced with Black Gate caps. In the Statement, ALL of the internal PS caps have BlackGate caps used in their "Super E" configuration. Here is a link to the BlackGate pages explaining the theory behind the Super E design.

This usage of Super E caps reduces distortion and resonance issues in the capacitors. It requires double the amount of these expensive Black Gates and is quite a bit of a challenge to fit these on the circuit board.

The main issue in the difference between the SB3 and SB2 modded units was in the SB3 there was no way to mount the large film caps used in the SB2. I have been using certain values and types of Non-Polarized Black Gate caps with a film cap for bypass to get close to the sound of the large film cap. After a great deal of experimentation, I was able to find a particular combination of Black Gates caps used in Super E combined with a V-Cap for bypass that actually sounded better then the large film cap with a Teflon cap bypass.

I am also using a single Bybee Purifier in the Statement mods in such a way that reduces "noise" levels and allows more details through.

I am being a bit vague of some details about the mods to "protect" the amount of time and effort I have put into this upgrade. While I do respect the DIY portion of this hobby, these mods pay my bills. I do not intend to give my work away.

The initial price of the Statement mods is $1,000.00. Considering the amount of parts and increased amount of labor involved, this is a steal. The pricing WILL go up.

For now, the mod is only available as a new build. The amount of work needed to fit the parts in place does not make upgrading an existing modded SB3 an economic reality. I will be trying to come up with ways in which to offer a pricing break to people who have purchased SB3 mods.

These mods are mostly designed for the analog output. The digital output will be improved by the internal power supply upgrades, but I am not offering a digital only mod at this time. I do feel that the Statement SB3 analog out to a modded Burson Buffer is among the best sound you can get from digital at ANY price.

Please come by room 1009 at RMAF to hear it for yourself.

The Statement mods are now available to order here
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2007, 09:42 pm by Wayne1 »

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2007, 08:28 pm »
Charlie,

George will get the chance to compare it for himself.

I am going to send the Statement SB3, Modded Burson Buffer and BOLDER/Bent/Burson control center to him to listen to in his system.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2007, 10:17 pm »
Charlie,

George will get the chance to compare it for himself.

I am going to send the Statement SB3, Modded Burson Buffer and BOLDER/Bent/Burson control center to him to listen to in his system.

Good thing I have some vacation time coming up.... :o

Thanks Wayne.

George

jrebman

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:39 am »
Wayne,

On the statement mods page, only the SB3 is listed.  Would it be better for me to send you my other SB2 (not the one you just worked on) or sell it and just have a new SB3 sent to you?

I really can do either, and my wife would probably prefer something that doesn't look like a clock radio in the living room.  If the difference in sound quality is going to be fairly better with the SB2, then that will probably be my choice.  If it's a close call, I'd rather do what is easiest for you to work on.

-- Jim

Wayne1

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:35 pm »
Jim,

I have yet to try the Statement style mods in a SB2. Zybar sent me one of his that I will be working on next week. After that, we shall see.

The SB3 Statement DID sound better than a full out modded SB2 with Gold Bybee Purifiers at Mike Garner's place. The SB3 had maybe 100 hours on it and we really only compared on song.

Zybar will have the Statement SB3 for a couple of weeks while he is on vacation. Hopefully he will be able to spend some time with it and post his thoughts on his preferences between the modded SB2, Statement SB3 and Statement SB2.

The Statement mods, like all my mods, are works in progress. I may make some changes to them as time goes on. For now, I do believe the Statement SB3 analog output is the "better" sounding mod.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:37 pm »
Jim,

I have yet to try the Statement style mods in a SB2. Zybar sent me one of his that I will be working on next week. After that, we shall see.

The SB3 Statement DID sound better than a full out modded SB2 with Gold Bybee Purifiers at Mike Garner's place. The SB3 had maybe 100 hours on it and we really only compared on song.

Zybar will have the Statement SB3 for a couple of weeks while he is on vacation. Hopefully he will be able to spend some time with it and post his thoughts on his preferences between the modded SB2, Statement SB3 and Statement SB2.

The Statement mods, like all my mods, are works in progress. I may make some changes to them as time goes on. For now, I do believe the Statement SB3 analog output is the "better" sounding mod.

Wayne,

Could you list for everybody what was done to my modified SB2?

I know it has "full analog" mods + Gold Bybees, but I can't really give more detail than that.

This way everybody understands what is what for the comparison.

George

Wayne1

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jul 2007, 01:51 pm »
George,

You SB2 has all the latest mods that are offered for the SB2. All of the internal power supply parts have been replaced and Black Gate caps have been used extensively.

The DAC chip was upgraded to the "K" series. The output coupling caps are Sonicap bypassed with Sonicap Platinum. Gold Bybee Purifiers are used in the analog output circuit. The internal switching power supply is NOT feeding the DAC chip. The power feed comes directly from the linear PS section. All of the analog output section parts not used, op-amp and headphone amp have been removed.

Most of these mods are also done in the Statement, but on a much higher level. The main difference between the SB2 and SB3 is the use of all film caps in the analog output section of the SB2 vs the use of non-polarized Black Gates AND a film cap bypass in the SB3.

tonyptony

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jul 2007, 05:39 pm »

Wayne, I'm hoping you'll be able to eventually give us an assessment as to how a Statement-level digital only mod set to the SB3 improves things. Some of us may not be able to either accommodate or swing for the full set of digital+analog Statement mods. In my case I have multiple digital sources and all my inputs are in use on my Pass X1 (not looking to change that out  :!:); I'm not really looking to accommodate a special configuration just to be able to use a full-out Statement SB3 (nice as I suspect it is). I guess it'd be nice to see if any kind of similar level of improvement can be made on the digital side. Thanks.

jrebman

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2007, 07:58 pm »
Wayne,

Thanks, I'll just stay tuned and wait to see what happens.

-- Jim

Wayne1

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2007, 03:15 pm »
Tony,

I do have a couple of ideas about a digital only Statement mod for the SB3. I did want to get the analog section done first, as I do feel that running analog out into a Burson Buffer will give the "best" sound.

I also realize that there are some systems, such as yours, where it does make more sense to run digital out. I do have a couple of other projects to finish up before I can spend the time needed on the digital section. At the latest, I should have something by RMAF.

tonyptony

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2007, 04:47 pm »
Happy to wait for it. Thanks!  :D

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2007, 10:19 pm »
Jim,

Well, my Bolder Cable goodie boxes arrived today and I have the Statement SB3 running in the basement.  The BOLDER/Bent/Burson will also play for a few days before I throw it into the main system.

Later tonight or tomorrow I will insert the modified Burson buffer into the main system and start to compare it to a stock one.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2007, 12:41 pm »
Just wanted to give a quick update...

The Statement SB3 has been playing non-stop in a bedroom system and has another 100+ hours on it to allow for more break-in.  It will be moved into the reference system before tomorrow's gathering. 

The modified Burson buffer replaced a stock Burson buffer and I pretty much agree with what the DAM guys said in terms of differences.  It really started to shine once I was able to put a Black Sand Silver Ref MK V power cord on it.  It was like giving my system a shot of adrenaline!!

The Bolder/Bent/Burson control center will see some action today. 

Not only do I want to hear how it sounds, but I need it in order to use a Velodyne SMS-1.  I will be using the Velodyne as a RTA to tweak my 11 band EQ on the Vandy 5A's.

Hopefully we will get some good comments on all of this gear after tomorrow's gathering.  I will also write up my own thoughts mid to late next week.

It has been a fun week so far and I want to thank Wayne for giving me this opportunity. 

George