My new reference line array speakers from Selah Audio

MikeyMouse

My New Reference Line Array Speakers

I recently took delivery a pair of Rick Craig's line arrays and custom bass arrays.  He delivered them from North Carolina to Boston in person!  I don't know too many speaker manufacturers will deliver and install their speakers for their customers in person.  May be, if you ordered a pair of WAMM from David Wilson he will come and set them up for you.  But, the WAMM is in the six-figure price range.

My pair of line arrays is custom configured with 8 7" Scan-Speak Revelator mid-woofers and 8 Fountek ribbon tweeters per side.  I've chosen the Scan-Speak drivers for their excellent bass performance and smooth and detailed midrange.  This same driver was used in Rick's best selling 2-way SSR monitor with excellent results so I have confidence that the Scan-Speak will work well with the Fountek in the line array configuration.  For maximum flexibility, I asked Rick to bring out the input and output of the crossovers to the external banana jacks and also bring out the input of the mid drivers and the tweeter drivers.  With the appropriate jumpers inserted into the banana jacks on the base, I can drive the speakers using the internal crossovers with either a single amp or dual amps.  Since the driver input are also available externally, I can drive the mid and tweeter array directly from my TacT digital amplifiers which can be configured with digital crossover.  To extend the bass range of the line arrays, I asked Rick to design for me a pair of bass arrays.  I wanted to match the characteristic of the Scan-Speak mid-woofers so we chose four 10" Scan-Speak Revelator sub-woofers per side.  A 1000-Watt Keiga amp powers each bass array.  Both the line and bass arrays used sealed box design.

I ordered the speakers in early April and got them installed in my listening room on July 2. During the designing and building process, I worked with Rick very closely and he kept me informed on every step.  It was a pleasure experience indeed working with Rick on this project.

These speakers are very heavy.  They certainly require two persons to move them.  Setting up the speakers was however straight forward.  Rick mounted the bases to the speaker cabinets and attached the jumpers to the back of the line arrays.  When this was done, we placed the line arrays to the same location as my previous speakers.  The speakers were 8 feet out from the front wall, the left speaker was 2 feet from left wall, and the right speaker was 10 feet from the right wall.  Initially, we only used a single bass tower and placed it along the left sidewall half way between the line arrays and the listening position.  This was the location, which gave the best bass response in my room from my Hsu Research subwoofer.  The listening position was about 11’ from the line arrays.

Initially, I wanted to hear how the speakers sound using the line array’s internal crossovers so we jumpered the speakers appropriately.  Using my TacT Audio 2.2XP, I selected 60Hz as the crossover frequency between the bass tower and the line arrays.  I used only one TacT S2150X to drive the line arrays.

Even without any room correction, these speakers sounded glorious.  Rick played several of his favorite CDs to demonstrate the line arrays.  My initial impressions were: excellent dynamics, accurate tonal characteristic, and detailed, deep bass response.  While we were listening to CDs after CDs, Rick shared with me some tips on doing room measurement, selecting active crossover frequency, selecting target curve for the line arrays based on his experience with his DEQX.

After Rick left, I added the second bass tower to the system.  It was placed on the opposite side of the first tower.  They both faced directly toward the listening position.  I ran a quick room correction with my TacT 2.2XP.  With room correction, the bass became more coherent between the line arrays and the bass towers as the appropriate time delays were added to the bass towers.  The overall sound of the system became smoother as the RCS took out the dips and peaks due to room reflections.

These speakers are truly amazing.  I already knew they have excellent dynamic range and capable of playing concert hall SPL levels without strain.  But, what I didn’t expect was that they sounded so good when I listened to them in low SPL levels late at night!  This may be due to their high sensitivity (95 dB SPL/1 Watt/1 meter) and their near field radiation patterns.  Their detail retrieval is first rate; I can now hear more nuances from the singer’s voice and musical instruments.  Listening to Glenn Gould’s and Keith Jarrett’s recording, I can hear them humming in the background louder than ever before  :lol:.  However, what I like most about these speakers is their ability to reproduce the sound of musical instruments accurately; in particular the sound of cello, trumpet and violin.  Human voice came through so real that becomes spooky at times.  For example, when I first heard “The Fibble-Ow Blues” from Jon Faddis’s Teranga CD, I heard a voice about 50 seconds into the cut.  It sounded so real that I thought the person was in the room.  As I listened to my CD collection I felt like that I'm hearing them the first time.  So far I am very happy with the level of performance these speakers provide. 

As good as they are now, I still have many optimization I can do to the sound quality of these speakers.  I still have not tried them in the bi-amp mode.  I still have not tried driving them directly from my TacT with active crossover.  I still have not tried them with SET tube amplifiers.  The locations of my subwoofer towers are perhaps suboptimal.  I may want to move them to the room corners behind the line arrays.  In the coming weeks I will try all these.  In the mean time I can’t stop listening to them playing my favorite music.

-Mike
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2007, 08:02 pm by MikeyMouse »

alotaklipsch

Re: My new reference line array speakers from Selah Audio
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2007, 12:49 am »
WOW....Congrat's on your new FABULOUS baby's, i have been thinking :drool:  of having something similar done for myself.  please post some photo's when ya have a chance.   :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2007, 01:42 am »
Mike,

Great system!

How do you like the TacT amp?

I auditioned a pair of the previous generation amps and didn't think they were on par with the better ss and tube offerings out there.

I did however greatly enjoy my highly modified TacT 2.2x preamp. 

I only sold it because my current speakers have built in bass tuning functionality.

George

MikeyMouse

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2007, 01:27 pm »
George,

Thanks.  I have never heard the S2150, so I cannot compare it to the newer S2150X.  However, I believe there were no changes done to the DAC, only the DSP "improvement" is added to the newer model.  Both my 2.2XP and 2150Xs are stock; no mods are done to them.  I really like the sound of this TacT combination.  They gave me a lot of enjoyment listening to Cd's.  I don't know how much of it was due to RCS and how much was due to other factors.  Before I got the TacT, I used a Wyetech Jade tube preamp and either a Classe, a Levinson or a Krell amp.  But, they didn't give me the same level of enjoyment as listening with the Tact.

-Mike

Val

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2007, 04:16 pm »
Wow, what a dream system! Those are the drivers I would choose, together with a DEQX and then do the full speaker correction/bass crossover/room correction thingy :o

finsup

How about some photos of your setup?
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2007, 06:51 pm »
I am sure many would like to see your system.

Thanks.

MikeyMouse

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2007, 07:24 pm »
I will post some of my pictures when I get a chance.  In the mean time, please refer to Rick's Gallery for some pictures of the line arrays and bass towers that he shot while installing my speakers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=299&page=1

-Mike

« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2007, 07:49 pm by MikeyMouse »

ekovalsky

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2007, 08:59 am »
Very, very nice system MikeyMouse.  As long as the arrays are set up with proper toe, no reason to ditch the passive crossovers with that design.  But I would definitely try to integrate the subs and arrays into a bi-amp configuration with DSP crossover, time/phase alignment, and of course room correction.

MikeyMouse

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2007, 05:49 pm »
Hi Eric,

It's nice to hear from you again.  You must be busy lately since I don't see too many of your postings on AC.  Thanks for the nice comments.  Yes, Rick did a real good job with the passive crossover on the line arrays.  I did a room measurement of the line arrays with the internal crossover using the Tact.  The frequency response was pretty flat (3dB) even before any corrections.  Currently, I use 3 sets of amplifiers for the line and bass array combinations.  The sub out from the 2.2XP drives the dedicated sub-woofer amps in the bass arrays, and the 2.2XP main out drives my two S2150Xs for the mid and tweeter of the line arrays (with the internal crossover).  This setup gave me very good sound.  If I get a chance I will try the setup of driving the mid and tweeter drivers directly from the S2150Xs.

-Mike

P.S. - I still have my pair of Divas and Magnepan 3.5R.

ekovalsky

« Reply #9 on: 31 Jul 2007, 11:30 pm »
Hi Eric,

It's nice to hear from you again.  You must be busy lately since I don't see too many of your postings on AC.  Thanks for the nice comments.  Yes, Rick did a real good job with the passive crossover on the line arrays.  I did a room measurement of the line arrays with the internal crossover using the Tact.  The frequency response was pretty flat (3dB) even before any corrections.  Currently, I use 3 sets of amplifiers for the line and bass array combinations.  The sub out from the 2.2XP drives the dedicated sub-woofer amps in the bass arrays, and the 2.2XP main out drives my two S2150Xs for the mid and tweeter of the line arrays (with the internal crossover).  This setup gave me very good sound.  If I get a chance I will try the setup of driving the mid and tweeter drivers directly from the S2150Xs.

-Mike

P.S. - I still have my pair of Divas and Magnepan 3.5R.

Work has been very busy and family takes up a lot of my off time.  And a lot of what's left has been eaten up by some other ongoing projects I started including a large living reef tank, new computer builds, and integration of HT into the listening room.  I'm in the process of plumbing the reef tank (300G) and installing a 92" Da-Lite screen and JVC DLA-RS1 projector...  we are building a platform in the back of the listening room so we can add three more seats and getting a custom equipment credenza built.  Should be pretty nice once its done!