Restaurant thread (?)

ctviggen

Restaurant thread (?)
« on: 11 Jul 2007, 10:26 pm »
If it's possible, I'd like to propose a restaurant thread.  Somewhere where we could search for locations and find suitable restaurants.  If this isn't appropriate, feel free to remove the thread.

Anyway, I'd like to make the following recommendations.

Name:  Carol Peck's Good News Cafe
Type of food/style:  Eclectic/New American
Location:  Woodbury, Connecticut (Western Connecticut); route 6, near I-84
Decor:  Artsy, including rotating art from local artists.  There's the radio room (gander at all those tube radios) and another themed room.  This is not a romantic restaurant, but it has an unusual style.

Notes:  This is a fantastic restaurant.  It's a bit expensive.  My wife and I typically spend near or upwards of $100, but that's with paying for multiple $9 "martinis".  The menu is varied and changes often.  Tons of specials.  Large menu.  I've only had one thing I did not like, which was some type of Scottish dessert, but that's probably because of the style of the dessert.  The "blooming potato" appetizer with homemade ketchup is truly outstanding.  The lobster mac and cheese is great.  I could go on and on...  Maybe I should -- served one of the best desserts I've ever had, which was three small servings of different puddings.  It was great having three strikingly different tastes and not too much dessert.  Sadly, that was a special. 

Name:  John's Cafe
Type of food/style:  New American
Location:  Woodbury, Connecticut (Western Connecticut); route 6, near I-84 (across from Good News Cafe!)
Decor:  Small, New England style interior restaurant.  Much more romantic than Good News Cafe.

Notes:  This is another great restaurant, and -- amazingly enough -- across the street from Good News Cafe.  I would characterize this as being more French inspired than Good News Cafe.  Has a smaller menu, but everything on the menu is great.  Entrees in the $20-25 range.  Again, I tend to spend around $100 or more at this restaurant.  Large wine list.  I'll update this when I go there this Saturday.

eric the red

Re: Restaurant thread (?)
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2007, 10:47 pm »
I don't know if this qualifies, but the best chicken wings I've had are at Shorty and Wags in Minneapolis on 38th and Nicollet. It's the first place I go when visiting my family there. Their regular wings with a side of bbq sauce are the shizzle. http://www.shortyandwags.com/
A close second is Chicken Valley in Pike Place Mkt in Seattle :thumb:
mmmmm chicken wings...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2007, 11:46 pm »
Name : Dodie's Seafood Cafe
The Food : Authentic New Orleans/Cajun cuisine...Seafood
Decor: Thought I was in the French Quarter..... 8)

Great food and a great host....Captain Humble / Jeff, an AC member here . Last year,on my way to RMAF-2006, I had the opportunity to eat lunch and dinner there....it was out of this world !!! Everything I tried...and I tried a taste of almost everything on the menu..... was excellent. Looking forward to my next visit.... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :thankyou:

Captain Humble

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2007, 01:12 am »
Thanks Chris. :thumb:
For this year's visit I'm thinking Chilean Sea Bass under Crab Mornay.
I'll also make sure the cleaning service hits the windows the day be you arrive.  :beer:
Jeff

ooheadsoo

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2007, 01:52 am »
Location : Middle of nowhere off of the I-5 in California on your way to SF or LA just before or after the cows depending on if you're going north or south
Name : Harris Ranch Steakhouse
Food : Prime Aged New York Strip
Decor : Ranch?  Relaxed atmosphere, medium dim lighting.

Notes : Only thing worth getting is the Prime New York, IMO.  I wouldn't even think about getting something else unless you really really hate steak or don't eat red meat at all.  It may not always be the most tender steak you've ever had, but it's always really tender and the flavor is out of this world.  I'm no great steak cook but I try, and I've only been able to approach its tenderness/texture once - and it was sheer luck, I don't know what was different about that piece of meat vs. the other 5 I had on the grill at the time.  Even so, that was just the texture.  The flavor and seasoning of that Prime NY at Harris is really good.  I think it's just salt and pepper.  If you get drinks and whatnot, it'll set you back about $60/person.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2007, 10:16 am »
While in Michigan try to visit the Roe Inn in Ellsworth (a tiny town between Traverse City and Petosky).  It's operated by a NYC couple who wanted out of the big city.  Wonderful gourmet quality of food without the stuffy gourmet attitude.  The wine list includes selections up to $2,000/bottle, but typically expect to spend $50 - 100 per meal.  Call ahead as its a smal place that only opens if they get enough reservations.

A Michigan classic is whitefish (a mild fish from Lake Superior) that melts in your mouth and can spoil you for any other kind of fish (I won't eat whitefish again until I can get back there).  Many good options across the northeast portion of the upper peninsula, but the easiest to find is Abner's in Sault Saint Marie (one of America's oldest cities, founded by French fur traders).  Abner's has live folk music on the weekends and you can feed the family for under $100.  Be warned that the "up north" culture is not sophisticated.   :roll:

A favorite place of mine in Grand Rapids is "The 1913 Room".  Jacket required for dinner, prices run $50 and up per person.  It's located downtown in a classy old hotel now owned by the Amway founders.  Pleasant atmosphere with a nice variety of gourmet, main stream American, and local dishes.  Don't forget to try the "forbidden fruit" desert, which looks as amazing as it tastes.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2007, 10:09 pm »
JLM.....you're saying there's ANOTHER great resturant in Ellsworth??  :o (Ellsworth is like a one flashing yellow light tiny place)

Have you heard of "Tapawingo"? IMHO one of the best places I've ever been. The chef has obviously taken a few cues from Keller and delivers the goods. Plus, it was a real bargain for what you get.

There's a French Bistro down the road in Bellaire, but I can't remember the name. It's right across the street from the movie theatre. It's damn good stuff too....though not on the level of Tapawingo.

We were up there on a golf vacation at Cedar River in Bellaire.

We want to go back.....more for the food than the golf.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2007, 12:19 am »
drphoto,

The Tapawingo folks came from the Roe Inn as I understand it.  Tapawingo hosts a variety of visiting chiefs (including one of my old bosses, bosses, bosses, bosses, boss who plays cooks as a hobby). 

Frankly I much prefer Roe Inn as they don't do nearly as much of the silly gourmet crap, like setting the table and then clearing it as soon as you sit down.   :scratch:  The lady who co-owns the Roe Inn had a heck of a wit (could tell great dirty jokes and put the best in their place while being very entertaining).   :lol:  Plus the food is better.

I vaguely recall some folks mentioning a good place in Bellaire.  Shanty Creek (golf/skiing resort located just outside Bellaire) is where our office used to hold conferences bi-annually in March until it earned the name Shabby Creek and filed bankruptcy.  So I never saw the town of Ellsworth (it was dark, the cold windows were fogged over, and we'd all had too much to drink before we got there).   :roll:

some young guy

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2008, 11:30 pm »
Bumpin' this one...