Any good back-up program for Mac?

SET Man

Any good back-up program for Mac?
« on: 3 Jul 2007, 04:43 pm »
Hey!

To all MAC user. :D Is there a good simple back up program for Mac?

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bemopti123

Re: Any good back-up program for Mac?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2007, 05:41 pm »
Superduper?  I trial is free.  I use it sporadically.

Want the full version?  I think it cost something like $20.  This is more efficient.

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2007, 05:42 pm »
Retrospect...
V Good.
Mike

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2007, 06:01 pm »
Superduper?  I trial is free.  I use it sporadically.

Want the full version?  I think it cost something like $20.  This is more efficient.

Hey!

Thanks man! :D Looks pretty good.

You know I'm embaress  to say this but I've been backing up my important files manually to my external HDD  :icon_lol:

Well, it would be nice to have a simpler way to do it. So, I might get that. At $28 it should make my life easier and for a piece of mind :D

Take care,

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2007, 06:03 pm »
iBackup is freeware and gets good user ratings. Apple's Backup is included in dot mac (if you have that) and works pretty well.

Levi

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2007, 06:33 pm »
If you like it free.  Try this 4Gb free storage automatic online backup.  If you need more space then it is $4.99 monthly  Mozy online backup

The backup utility works with Mac and Windows.  It does the following:
* Is simple to set up
* Performs backups automatically in the background
* Encrypts all files on your PC before transfer
* Performs incremental backups
* Backs up only blocks that have changed
* Backs up open/locked files

Cheers,
Levi

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2007, 06:53 pm »
That 4Gb online auto back up sounds like Levi, but brother, 4GB?  That would be good for only a couple of lossless songs.  So, Buddy, what do you have in your HD?  There is a ton of free software out there for this purpose, but many of them a flat out clumsy or with flaws.  The free trial version of Super made me happy.  Now, I need to find a reason why I want to shell out $28 for the full version.  How much capacity do you have on your HD?  I have seen a 1 TB drive going for less than $500 now. :thumb:

mcullinan

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2007, 07:29 pm »
Definitely... Id stay away from online backup, who knows how secure your info is anyways. 4 Gigs, maybe if your listening to 48K mp3s in mono. . haha im so not funni.
<ike

But Apple Lossless is where its AT!

Levi

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2007, 08:10 pm »
That's what you get for free.  As I stated, If you want more space, you fork up some Moolah.  Bua ha ha ha :lol:

That 4Gb online auto back up sounds like Levi, but brother, 4GB?  That would be good for only a couple of lossless songs.  So, Buddy, what do you have in your HD?  There is a ton of free software out there for this purpose, but many of them a flat out clumsy or with flaws.  The free trial version of Super made me happy.  Now, I need to find a reason why I want to shell out $28 for the full version.  How much capacity do you have on your HD?  I have seen a 1 TB drive going for less than $500 now. :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2007, 08:25 pm »

Hey!

Yup, I'm not big on the online back up things. Although it dose have a plus side of being safer than storing things in you external HDD at home. I really don't like to say this.... you know in case something happen to your home... knock on wood here.  :roll: But it is unlikely. And to get the space I needed will be costly. :?

I do have about 60G of music files in AIFF on my external HDD but I always ended up going back to loading up CDs on my Sony 5 disc changer and of course spinning LPs. :lol:

Anyway, back to what I'm looking for. Basically I'm pretty much maxed out my built-in 60G HDD on my PowerBook G4. Well, I don't have any music on it but mostly photos files. :D I've been doing backing up manually and it work fine but I though it might easier with a good program.

So, my plan is to keep my built-in HDD free with only stuffs that I use regularly or working on at the moment and use my Seagate 400G external HDD as a back up, and another Seagate 250G external as a back up for the back up :wink: And use the back up program to back up whatever on the built-in HDD at the moment. :D

Well, I think I will need sometime to totally regorganize my files on all of my HDDs.... now that will take a while  :roll: And so far the Superduper looks pretty good. Thanks guys :D

Take care,

nathanm

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2007, 08:25 pm »
Incremental scheduled backups ($25): Déjà Vu  http://propagandaprod.com/dejavu.html
Drive cloner (donationware):Carbon Copy Cloner  http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

jaywills

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2007, 08:45 pm »
I've used Carbon Copy Cloner successfully for years.  Very happy with it.